Rebarrelling 3 piece wheels - recommended specs?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

So I'm looking into rebarreling the Advans since they're 17x9 +45 if I recall right, and that will pose issues with the fronts in terms of clearance  ( 52mm less clearance if I did it all right )

Currently planning on only lowering via Tokicos + Eibach springs - I *may* spring for D2/KSports. Want to try to keep the same overall outer diameter of the wheel/tire itself as stock.

That being said - recommended offsets? I don't think running a 2" spacer would be good...

Posted Image

Edited by Fanta, 21 August 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Posted Image

1989 Chrysler Conquest Wrecked
1987 Mitsubishi Starion Sold
1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESiR with 38k Sold
2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you take those centers and move them to the back of the "flange" to help your offset issues?

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 21 August 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you take those centers and move them to the back of the "flange" to help your offset issues?

As in the flange being on the outside? or flipping it so that whats the inner barrel is now the outer?
Posted Image

2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#4 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Interests:"Keep the turbo spooled!"
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Why would you run a spacer and my god why a 2" spacer if your planning on rebuilding the wheels?  Why not just rebuild to the right spec so you don't need spacers at all?

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

What I mean is that the center section is bolted to what I'd imagine is a flange that is behind it correct? That flange cant be moved but could you take the center section and instead of bolting it to the front of that flange, instead place it on the back of it?

Like I said, I don't know this for sure and I've never seen a set of wheels like these in person, but thats just a guess based on how I imagine them being constructed. Also the center section seems to me to hint towards it being possible based on how the spokes terminate with such a distinct... shape?... near the bolts.

Edited by speedyquest, 21 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#6 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Postjszucs, on 21 August 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Why would you run a spacer and my god why a 2" spacer if your planning on rebuilding the wheels?  Why not just rebuild to the right spec so you don't need spacers at all?

.... that is the entire point of this thread, to what specs should it be rebuilt to ( the spacer thing was sarcasm )
Posted Image

2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#7 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Memory fab or rotiform. Call them and tell them what you want and they will build it. Im not the best with offsets but derek is

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#8 conquestador89

conquestador89

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:if it's non turbo ur commiting a sin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

your gonna need to do a complete rebuild lip/barrel...offsets are too high just to replace lip...personally I would take them apart and mount the face to the car...measure from there...places don't ask what offset you want...they just want to know what lip/barrel sizes you want...just my $0.2 also don't deal with wheel flip...they're kinda hit or miss...you gotta keep calling them just to get your parts...sexy wheels btw...I wanted those if I had a flatty

Edited by conquestador89, 21 August 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#9 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PoststarquestJOE, on 21 August 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Memory fab or rotiform. Call them and tell them what you want and they will build it. Im not the best with offsets but derek is

I'll likely work with someone east coast, e.g. Brada Wheels
Posted Image

2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#10 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

View Postconquestador89, on 21 August 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

your gonna need to do a complete rebuild lip/barrel...offsets are too high just to replace lip...personally I would take them apart and mount the face to the car...measure from there...places don't ask what offset you want...they just want to know what lip/barrel sizes you want...just my $0.2 also don't deal with wheel flip...they're kinda hit or miss...you gotta keep calling them just to get your parts...sexy wheels btw...I wanted those if I had a flatty

Was planning on rebarreling anyways - I'll see what the local rim shop Brada wheels thinks.

PS - wheel flip has Panasport G7s that I want :3
Posted Image

2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#11 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostFanta, on 21 August 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

.... that is the entire point of this thread, to what specs should it be rebuilt to ( the spacer thing was sarcasm )

Phew Ok good.  So how do you want them to look then?  Want huge lips? Want them near flush and still tuck? Want them flush flush?   Going to do any fender work?  How wide do you want to keep them?  Staggered?   There are lots of questions when it comes to the looks part of it.

#12 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm okay with a little smaller lip than what it currently has - would rather it not be larger ( then it just looks weird to me ) - Don't care about them being flushed and tucking etc - fender work, going to just roll the lips to prevent any possible tire cutting in cambered corners. It'd be great to keep them still as 17x9s in a square setup from a handling perspective.
Posted Image

2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#13 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostFanta, on 23 August 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

I'm okay with a little smaller lip than what it currently has - would rather it not be larger ( then it just looks weird to me ) - Don't care about them being flushed and tucking etc - fender work, going to just roll the lips to prevent any possible tire cutting in cambered corners. It'd be great to keep them still as 17x9s in a square setup from a handling perspective.

Well then I would ask for them to be built into a close to possible stock offset.

#14 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

It's pretty simple if you want a stockish fit, go with 0 offset for the rear and +15 for the fronts to have that little extra to clear the front strut with the 9" width. If you want something closer to the edge of the fender, use a -15 or -20 on the rear and a -10 on the front.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#15 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

I would go just slightly - for the rears maybe -5 and +10 +15 front.  I had to kick my 18X9.5 fronts out quite a bit.  Think they are +22 Otherwise the inner lip was on the strut without a tire.  And that is hacking the struts down to nothing with coils.

#16 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostFuze, on 27 August 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

It's pretty simple if you want a stockish fit, go with 0 offset for the rear and +15 for the fronts to have that little extra to clear the front strut with the 9" width. If you want something closer to the edge of the fender, use a -15 or -20 on the rear and a -10 on the front.

Correction on that last line, meant +10 on the front.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users