new conquest has no overdrive

leesquest

I have been searching the posts to find a quick fix. I just got another quest running. it runs great except no overdrive. My other auto quest has NEVER had an OD problem so this issue is new to me. I installed an engine and tranny in this car recently and dont know if I may have missed something. what should be the first thing I check? all other gears work great. thanks, Lee

Possibly the overdrive module on the trans (vacuum line not connected?) could also be the switch within the shifter, but hopefully it could be as easy as grounding out one of the coolant temp sensors on the intake. When grounded, it will allow full time overdrive (unless overridden by shifter switch). It's designed to not allow OD until the engine reaches the appropriate temp. I fixed mine by grounding it and that remedied the issue until I can get a new sensor.

Hope this helps :)

-N8

I am trying to remember a vacume line. is there a pic on a forum that will show both the vac line and coolant temp sensor? I do remember a hose off the tranny that seemed to go to nothing. not shure if its that hose or not. I if it is the hose, i wouldnt know where to hook it to.

From Starquest.i.x.net (S.O.S manuals)

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?p=16548#16548

Scroll to Bottom of page.

*Also check to see if the large nipple on the intake (top/rearmost, near firewall) has a line connected to it (rubber), that runs down the transmission (similar to metal brake line) then onto the drivers side of the tranny to the overdrive vacuum module with a rubber 90 degree elbow.

If this is missing or broken/torn it will not operate properly, if there is no vacuum present to operate it.

-N8

there needs to be a metal line that makes the connetion, a rubber hose will not cut it alone.

The shifter switch will only turn O/D off, not the other way around so in your case it's probably not the culprit, the O/D kickdown at the accelerator works the same way. The module really only changes your shift points, if you are spinning over 2k rpm at 45mph then your O/D clutches or band are probably worn out.

I remember the 90 degree rubber elbow sticking out. Its raining now but I will look under there and confirm next dry day. also I will check my other auto car and see where the line leads to and confirm. I will also check shift changes at specific rms next time I drive it. thanks for all the great tips. I will try to post when the problem is solved for others, Lee

• 2 weeks later...
shure enough. the engine I got from a manual car had a plug on the intake where the line should be hooked up. I need that connection if someone has it. for now I have borrowed one from someone else temporarily. I changed the plug and the line and hooked up everything that was missing. It was a major problem, but now that I fixed that, the tranny still dosn't go into overdrive. sorry, I had my hopes up.

there needs to be a metal line that makes the connetion, a rubber hose will not cut it alone.

The shifter switch will only turn O/D off, not the other way around so in your case it's probably not the culprit, the O/D kickdown at the accelerator works the same way. The module really only changes your shift points, if you are spinning over 2k rpm at 45mph then your O/D clutches or band are probably worn out.

I think this sugestion here may be the problem. O/D clutch.

however, I dont hear any clicking when I hot the OD button so before I remove the tranny I will try to take out that OD switch. is it hard to get out? I dont see anything to get onto with a wrench. is it twisted off by hand?

You put in a motor from a manual car? There is a temp sensor it needs for OD that may have been skipped in the swap.

Also, I'm hoping you remembered to add the bushing into the crankshaft!

Bushing, yes. Temp sensor no. I didnt realize i needed a different one for the swap. I did hook up the temp connection though. Also that connection seems broken and the tip of the connection rotates when turned. My temp guage in my car does read. I will try getting a new temp sensor next before anything else. thank you. Oh. does anyone have that connection on the back of the intake that I need to hook to the hose that goes to the tranny. mine is temporary.

Edited by leesquest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything I needed to check or go over was in this thread on Starquest.i-x.net (S.O.S Manuals)

If you can read through the BS, there is a ton of valuable information in those threads (provided the pic links aren't dead)

Here's a direct link to the Sensors and Senders section.

Hope this helps you.

-N8

• 2 weeks later...
the sensor in question sends a ground that signals "warm up" and allows OD once the engine is warm , its possible to ground that wire thus creating the "warm up" signal allow overdrive . Most Jatco units like yours wont allow OD until hot.

While this is not a normal thing that happen to me I will note that it could happen. I had this OD not working issue and found that the wire in the dash had a fault and I had to bypass the wire to get it to work. The wire was somehow cut or broke(never actualy found where) from where the harness goes from the pass side of the car going to the drivers side to the relay by the drivers feet.

Interesting. I should check that out. I do have another Automatic car, If I need to I can swap trannys to Isolate the problem for shure. The one in my other car I know works, I drove it just today.