Cam degreeing?

you need to disable the (correction) intake valve so it don't open or barely opens , and the engine cam be turned back wards IF the chain system is new and tight

with the piston stop in place the intake valve will hit it if the valve opens fully

you can use the oem TDC mark as a place to start with the pointer with the degree wheel,, most engine i have found to be dead on or with in 1-2 degrees of TDC

on the valve one of those small round trash magnets you find in auto trans will help you get a flat surface for the dial indicator

the magnets can be cut to shape you need

I opened the valve cover up and checked the lash and advanced the cam timing 5 degrees. now the cam dowel pin is slightly past the 12 o clock position with the crank at tdc. The lash was set too tight. The cam card says .010 so that's what i set it to for both intake and exhaust. I fired up the engine and it's running a bit leaner now. Is that the expected result?

i made a mistake in my earlier reply it's the intake valve you must disable from opening , as yu can see it will hit the piston stop if it opens,, easiest way to do thing is to loosen the adjusting bolt if mechanical adjusters or remove the lifter from the #1 rocker

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/Oct06%2301a.jpg

What's the rule on rotating our engine backwards to degree the cam? My timing set has less than 3k miles on it. Is there a risk that you can damage the tensioner or that the chain will try to bunch up?

no your chain is fine ,, but lets say one with 100k miles on it may be loose enough to jump ,,lol

besides degreeing a cam with a worn out timing chain would be a total waste

degreeing a cam is about like the first time you did a complete TPS and MPS adjustment

the first time is the hardest, after doing it a few times it's no problem at all

as for center line if you cam came with a center line number , if the valve open and close time matches , so will the center line number , advancing or retarding the valve open and close time will make the same change to the center line number

you want to do the valve specs check several times until you get the same number each time before making any changes

also if your adj gear has a TDC mark start there