Oil Pump Gakset ... why O' why FSM ....

techboy

This post is primarily directed at first time G54B engine builders. Those of you who have experience building this motor are probably well aware of this problem, as this is not new information, but I found out the hard way and I'm hoping this post along w/ the keywords in the heading can help a few others in this community out.

For the few of you who have been following my 1 1/2 year build thread in the Restoration Center you know I recently found out when going to turn the key for the first time I discovered I had no oil pressure. Here's what I've learned since that moment:

So, when you go to install your oil pump on your freshly machined block, the 88 and 89 FSM are going to show you an image that looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/109/ycud.png

However, if you purchased the Felpro lower conversion kit, like I did, you're going to get 2 oil pump gaskets in that kit and a little piece of paper tucked in there somewhere that tells you this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/4950/vnsp.jpg

According to this piece of paper, the gasket shown in the FSM is not the correct gasket. And since I installed the one shown in the FSM (b/c I never looked at that little piece of paper) and now have no oil pressure I tend to agree with it ... along with the fact that DAD sells the tear drop one on this site.

So, in summary:

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/1654/x0z.png

Use this one BELOW:

http://imageshack.us/a/img404/8015/95lg.jpg

Now, if somebody could please explain to me why in the heck the Mitsu's own FSM is wrong(!!!), that would make for some interesting forum discussion ......

Hope this helps someone out.

Edited by importwarrior

well automatically the oil pickup shoulda gave it away :P, i make sure before i pull a motor apart i have all the new parts but the bearings and rings. but that sucks man i hope you didnt destroy your motor :( as for the fsm... i believe it was corrected in some form of a tsb but dont take my word on that. i kinda chuckled the first time i opened up the manual and saw that. there are a few more mistakes throughout the book iirc

If the gasket doesn't line up with the part, don't use it regardless of what any manual says. They do make mistakes or get complacent. The design may change but the FSM writers don't keep up the changes so the FSM is wrong.

Jimmy

This is my first G54B motor build, but it's not first motor build - I've built lots of other motors over the years, so I'm not sure how I screwed this up, but it happened. I'm usually one for comparing the original gasket with the new one. I don't remember what happened b/c it was months ago now ... only thing I can figure is the original tore pretty bad when I pulled off the oil pump and thus couldn't compare them. I must have just looked in the book quick and went on my way. Oh well. It'll end up being a little bit more time, but I think it'll be OK in the end. Worse things could have happened.

most of the pics in the FSM of engine and parts are from the early 82-83 yr engines , those years did use the old gasket and truck oil pick up ,, in 84 they started using the frt pil pump pick up tube,, but some one over looked the printed manual pics so they used out of date info ,,

you have to remember people that print and make up repair manuals are NOT mechanics and they don't know any better

the block still has the hole for the in block pick up tube,, but the newer style oil pump does not have that hole

Well, I learned something from this thread. The manual uses 82-83 images. That makes sense then. Thanks to those who pointed that out, just wish I knew that 3 years ago when I bought my first FSM. Lol ...

Well, I learned something from this thread. The manual uses 82-83 images. That makes sense then. Thanks to those who pointed that out, just wish I knew that 3 years ago when I bought my first FSM. Lol ...

it uses SOME pics , I did not say ALL pics came from 82-83 yr systems

this sort of thing is common in all manuals esp Haynes

it uses SOME pics , I did not say ALL pics came from 82-83 yr systems

this sort of thing is common in all manuals esp Haynes

Understood. I meant my comment only in relation to the oil pump pages we are discussing.

• 2 years later...
Old news, worthy even today......Installing a bse kit and new oil pump. Two oil pump gaskets and an fsm description for installing the incorrect one, I for one, am thankful for the tip. Only because I had heard reference to this difference in other conversation on bse, did I have suspicion, that led to here and a saving of the day thinking open center is what bse called for...thanks guys...wouldn't have done it without you !

The RED Circle has no second hole

The Green Circle has the required hole that feeds oil to the head and rockers and lifters if you have them and CAM.

when you use the wrong gasket the one on left your blocking the passage that allows your oil to go to the head.

The one on the RIGHT is the one you want to use !

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/forum%20pics/vnsp_zpsumwnhk0z.jpg

Just recently removing the balance shafts and replacing the oil pump gasket I'm glad I bought what I needed from dad. Not sure if I would have caught the difference either.

Man that sux.

One helpful hint I found because I didn't have oil pressure at first is to prime the pump, and the oil cooler.

Good luck . Hope your motor isn't damaged.

last time i changed the oil pump gasket

some of the gasket material between the 2 holes in Green circle above collapsed and was

partially blocking flow. i dont have an oil pump available to show what i mean but just wanted to give a heads up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I read this and promptly crumpled up the old style gasket (as both are included in the DJM full engine rebuild set) and tossed it in the trash. Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...