WUE settings

Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice on WUE settings. I know it will vary by car and setup but I mean generally speaking--not what the curve looks like but what all your other constants are set to. My current WUE is all screwed up and I plan on using the analyzer to fix that anyway but still want your $.02 for ha-ha's. Once the car is up to temp it idles fantastic so I know it's tune related rather than hardware.

All you are trying to do with WUE is start with a richer AFR cold and gradually lean it out as coolant temp rises to your desired warm idle AFR. For 90% of Starquests that would be an AFR of 12 at coolant temps under 100 F ramping up to 13-13.5 at 175 F and higher. I've found the auto tune for this to be less than satisfactory.

Yeah for whatever reason my car appears happiest idling around 12.7:1 when warm. I gotta look around a bit and see when ASE falls off and WUE takes over, I would imagine it switches from one to the other as a function of how long it's been since the car started coupled with the coolant temp. Definitely getting somewhere with it now though, the car seems a lot happier at warm idle.

Thank you Scott.

Here is a follow up question to this--Since richer AFRs lower rpm speed compared to leaner ones, how do you compensate for this? My car is idling at ~900rpm when warm, if it goes too much lower (below 750-800) it won't idle and will just stall. Does cold advance adjustment have an affect on that? I am not running an IAC or fast idle valve right now and ideally I would like to make it so that I can limit the amount of time I have to keep my foot on the gas after starting the car to keep it running when it's chilly out. The coldest temps I start the car in are around the freezing mark or a few degrees below that on late fall days. Car comes off the road when it starts snowing.

I have WUE pretty well dialed in now where I only have to keep my foot on the gas at 1200-1500rpm for 8-10 seconds after initial start and I can let my foot off after that and let the car do its thing. I think I can get it a bit better than that but I don't know how good I can expect it to perform when it's programmed correctly--Meaning, if it's set up perfect, will I still have to race the idle a little for 5 seconds to idle smoothly after?

Edited by polarisman14

I will probably end up compensating by just turning the idle set screw up a half-turn, that'll give me another 50rpm of idle or so once all is said and done. I just want to get everything as close as possible so that I won't have to hold my foot on the gas for that long. When I started it yesterday it was about 54 degrees coolant temp and like I said that only required input from me for 10 seconds just above idle speed to keep it running. Given that the car is coming off the road in a month it isn't gonna get more than 20 degrees cooler than it is now for cold starts so there isn't too much work left. Sounds like I just need a fast idle valve to do that work for me for 10 seconds and I won't even have to touch the pedal. Until that happens, though, I'll have to get better at tuning instead :).

Gotcha. I'll spend a little more time with the fuel side of things and get it to where I'd be happy with it if I just left it alone, then I'll try a couple adjustments with cold advance. I have some already worked into the tune but I can always add a bit more. Thanks!