another 5.0 swap+turbo

tim si

Ok ive held off on posting this til i gathered up enough parts to get started.im starting out with a stock 5.0 short block.installed an e-303 cam today.im going with trick flow twisted wedge heads,a BBk SSi intake,42lb injectors,70mm mass+throttle body,MSD 6 btm i got from chad to help retard timing,new turbonetics 60 mm turbo,and a brand new t-5 from ford racing.all this is going in my black 89 quest.ill add pics as i go and ill try to take as many as i can because this will be the biggest build ive ever done.if any one has any request for certain pics let me know.this is my second v-8 swap and ill try to share any info i can.any advice will also be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit s.c. would be easier and be good on a 5.0 but the better you make the engine breath the more boost you lose,then you have to start changing pullies.the turbo just keeps pushin.I think the turbo will look alot cooler under there.i dont think ill go with an innercooler though.cant find room.hows this to start with? http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/newpics012.jpg Edited by tim si

Id almost give you the intake if youd tell me where to get those wheels.i believe itll work good,the runners are pretty straight,but if you get one,check it close.a few holes thats been tapped in the ports has little jags of aluminum just waiting to fall off into the cyls.im gonna have to do some deburring before i do a final install.im not 100% on clearence yet but its only 1'' taller than stock.the thing is most other intakes have to have a spacer to run taller valve covers with adj rockers but this one has no problems,comes nowhere near the valve covers

• 3 weeks later...
Well i finally got it in Im going to go ahead and break the motor in and work out all the bugs before i put the turbo on.hopefully i can get that done in the next couple weeks after the pipes are built ill have to have them jet coated so itll be down for a few weeks.then its off to the paint shop.the heat has slowed me down alot.i think the index was like 102 today and its miserable without a shop but heres a couple picshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/ImportedPhotos00031.jpg

I did have to bend the rib on the firewall to get the intake to clear.Ill try to get some pics of the trans tomorrow.the t-5 fits way better than the aod.http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/ImportedPhotos00029.jpg

Well i finally got it in Im going to go ahead and break the motor in and work out all the bugs before i put the turbo on.hopefully i can get that done in the next couple weeks after the pipes are built ill have to have them jet coated so itll be down for a few weeks.then its off to the paint shop.the heat has slowed me down alot.i think the index was like 102 today and its miserable without a shop but heres a couple picshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/ImportedPhotos00031.jpg

Those engines look so nice there. :D

its chrome but i dont think ill have much trouble.its the only front sump i could find at the time.my other 5.0 swap ran @180 with the a/c on and never got above 190 with one fan.im going to run three on this setup.also have a new alum.radiator from summit.ofcourse theres more heat with a turbo.

• 2 weeks later...
mine is -8 an so i just used a couplind and hooked on to the factory pick up.the pickup is metric size but i think i got a good enough seal.i dont know how youd do it with 10 an.what if you just ran a line down there and ran an inline filter before the pump?

mine is -8 an so i just used a couplind and hooked on to the factory pick up.the pickup is metric size but i think i got a good enough seal.i dont know how youd do it with 10 an.what if you just ran a line down there and ran an inline filter before the pump?

you would think they would just make a filter/screen in AN size to hook up to the hose fitting. I though about doing that too.

That's what I've seen done on other fuel pump installs like that... run a big -an line down into the tank long enough to go to the bottom, then just run an inline filter plumbed into the inlet of the fuel pump...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/newpics031.jpg I just slotted the quest stands in an ''L'' shape to sit the engine down then slide back.with these mounts i had no trouble with the front sump oil pan clearing everything.theres a good inch and half between the oil pan and engine cradle.you will have to use fords small starter instead of the big one.steering linkage is no problem.I just hope the metal holds up at the mount.i put a huge washer on the back