4g64/63 Swap

devilsfutbol17

I finally started messing around with my conquest this weekend. My buddy helped me push it into the shop Friday. Saturday the power went out, so I went into the shop and using a flashlight and outside light from the shop door I was able to pull the G54 out as well as a few other components I don’t need anymore. Then my buddy came back over excited to see the car and we decided to pull the 4g64 off the engine stand and see how it looks in conquest.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/devilsfutbol17/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_171337_zpsxld47m4z.jpeg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/devilsfutbol17/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_171434_zps0oycqkge.jpeg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/devilsfutbol17/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_181714_zpsjkrizbl3.jpeg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/devilsfutbol17/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_181850_zpsmnugc4hm.jpeg

Edited by devilsfutbol17

Thanks. Yeah my friend is into Mazdas. He's got that, two AWD proteges, and an RX-7 FD.

I was planning on making this just a cheap cheap swap doing the bare minimums to get it running. I have another 6bolt 4g64 that I'll build up nicely when I get the cash. So I'm trying to decide what to do with the pistons. The SOHC pistons don't have the correct valve grooves and from what I can find on dsmtuners the valves will hit the pistons. I'm thinking about either getting DOHC 4g64 pistons, or possibly determining where the valves will exactly hit the pistons and take them to the machine shop to have valve reliefs cut into them.

Anyways, I pulled the motor back out so I can start cleaning stuff up, removing other items I don't need, and tinker with the motor to see what will work. Sorry the lens on my phone camera is messed up.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/devilsfutbol17/20150831_1925101_zpsnzn8hwik.jpg

Edited by devilsfutbol17

Nice list of cars you got...and your friends 323 gtx is super rare!

I picked up a Conquest that had a 4g63 swap done already a few years ago that had jumped the timing belt and bent some of the valves.The head was pulled off when I got it and one day I will get to fixing it!

Jerry L.

Yeah that website has been helpful. So far I'm struggling to find information about power steering or lack thereof when people do the swap. I planned to go manual steering but I saw a bunch of people advising against it in the starquest. Right now the plan is to keep P/S and either use the starquest pump or a DSM pump relocated to where the alternator was.

contact funkyphil. he could probably source the proper power steering hoses to reach the power steering gear box for you.

EASY. just measure the length you need to route them safely and give him the lengths.

he uses steel braided hoses so they have some flex to them.

I used the 2g power steering pump and and high pressure line in stock dsm location. I made my own line high pressure line from the 2g line to the steering box with Russell Teflon stainless braided line and some adaptor fittings. For the low pressure line I used the factor Starion one and reservoir. It wasn't hard to do. If you search timsi's 5.0 build thread all the fittings sizes and part numbers are there.

• 4 weeks later...

Those are the truck brackets bolted to the 4G64, with the conquest mounts bolted to the frame. The truck mounts that bolt to the frame were the exact same as the conquest ones as far as I could tell with them side by side.

That is the plan so far. I purchased a 95 head last week with the cam sensor and I plan to use a kiggly 6 bolt crank sensor. I'm going to be using a 1g engine harness and 1g dsmlink since I already have both, so we'll see how well those sensors work with the 1g setup. I posted on tuners but haven't gotten any feedback yet.

What I posted on tuners.

Using the below diagram, can I connect a 2g CAS and a 2g Crank sensor to the CAS connector on a 1g engine harness? It looks like I would need to connect the red positive and black negative wires on the 2g Cam sensor to the 1g CAS connector terminals 3 and 4. I'm planning to run 1G DSMLink with a 1g DSM wiring harness and would like to use the 2g sensors. Also, if I do this it looks like the cam signal will be inverted, so I think I'll need to switch the fuel injector pins on the ECU connector correct?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/justin/CASwiring.gif

I haven't looked at the clearances all around but the front of the oil pan cleared the sway bar or whatever bar that is by plenty of space. If your asking about how it is turning the steering side to side, I haven't done that. But the stock 1g intake manifold was dam near touching the stock starion steering device that the power steering lines hook into. Sorry I don't know what that thing is called, hopefully you know what I'm talking about. The 1g manifold was also dam near touching the brake booster. I think it's workable though.

I'm looking into intake manifold options, I'm hoping to use an evo manifold since its already facing the correct direction. The flange looks similar to a 2g head, so I ordered gaskets for a 2g and an evo manifold to see how they line up.

I'm planning to use the stock starion flywheel, clutch, and TOB for now. Eventually I'll upgrade things but right now I don't have the money to buy the bare minimums to get this running, so I must spend wisely. I do have an RX-7 trans, the b2600 bell housing, and a b2600 tailshaft housing, but apparently I found a unique RX-7 trans because it has a big dampener on the tail shaft and the b2600 housing won't fit on it.

The flange is wrong for the Evo intake. On evo's the injectors mount in the intake runners right by the flange. Dsm's the injectors mount in the head. The port sizing is very similar. You could cut the flange off the Evo and weld on a 2g flange or just mod a 2g intake