2jz na-t?

theboyo19

I have been looking for a suitable engine for my starion project, and was planning on a 1jz gtte, but i stumbled upon a cheap 2jz-ge nearby for cheap and am having a hard time looking the other way. I have read mad dax's na-t thread but i am wondering who has had experience with the NA-T and if it is worth going for or if I should just wait for another engine to come along.

From what i understand the ge and gte have the exact same bottom end, but different pistons and different heads. Ge having larger exhaust valves, gte having larger intake valves, along with the manifold flanges being different. I am no stranger to welders, etc

Thanks for the ideas in advance.

I say go for it.

The NA motor also doesn't have oil squirters but that doesn't matter because most 2jz guys delete them anyway from what iv read.

I personally have seen an NA-t single turbo supra with stock NA manifolds and head make 500whp. So unless your looking for more than that I say scoop it up.

Edited by Crazy Quest

Crazy Quest the na manifolds were going to be my next question haha, so thanks for that. I can make an exhaust manifold work (swapping out flanges ) but I liked the idea of the na intake making better off-boost torque I read. Anyone know about that?

The reason i went with the 1jz was because i got a good deal and it comes with the trasmission you already need.. saved me several dollars there.. but a NA-t swap will make power, someone else here done one, browse the swap section, i believe he made 514HP with it too

i didnt either and was very skeptical about it.. i also knew where the engine i got came from and knew it ran.. When i was looking at buying online it was a real hassle, and it was almost impossible to get anyone to work with you on sending pictures and things like that.. never seen so many companies that dont want your money..

Go for it.

And...Thank you for actually reading first and then making a post. Congrats on being one of the non douche bags in this section!! :D :D

Edited by BOHO

Between school and work I havn't made progress like I wanted to on the 2jz. I'm painting the bay this weekend...Hopefully it will it will come together soon. If you have the cash and want to simplify things. Vette makes mounts for the 2jz.

• 2 weeks later...

so i picked it up, my buddy and i drove 4 hours to souix falls sd to get it, then 4 hours back... we had nothing to do on a saturday morning to say the least...i havent posted pics in a while so here we go...

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll341/theboyo19/86%20starion/2013-03-24_18-08-51_479.jpg

Edited by theboyo19

I got it from a kid who claims he was sliding it on a gravel road, saw a car coming, lost control and slid into the ditch... then the oncoming car lost control and slid into the same ditch and smashed the front. I got it for dirt cheap. Paints not the greatest but there's almost zero rust except some surface stuff. I work in a body shop so I put it on the frame rack and straightened most of it but Im still putting a different front end on that I got from a forum member here.

Sweet. I'm very interested in this; I'm about an hour away and would love to come check out your project sometime. I'm seriously considering this swap myself. If you plan on spending a Saturday/Sunday on it sometime, let me know, I'd be happy to come up and lend a wrench hand.

where are you in mn? im not gonna have much free play time for the next couple weekends as im trying to get my conquest in ship shape for some events at the end of april, starion 2jz is gonna have to sit and chill <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alright i gotta get goin on this, i ruined my g54 at the track a couple weeks ago and i dont really want to put another in, so.... im putting this together NA so i can get track time, then over winter ill start doing the changes to na-t.

i got a question for you swapper fellows. my buddy ( who is pretty good with wireing) was looking over the 86 starion ecu wireing and it seems like many functions go through this, such as wipers? while the 2j ecu only has engine controls through it. He was thinking we may have to leave the 86 ecu connected so these functions still work, then tap where we need to to get the 2j ecu to work. im assuming my NA ecu is going to be different than you turbo guys but any ideas would be appreciated.

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll341/theboyo19/ecmdiagram.gif

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll341/theboyo19/ecmdiagram2.gif

and i have a book for 87 and 89 but not 86, is there much difference in wireing between these? thanks for the info guys

Edited by theboyo19