Racetep - TEP - Top End Performance ???

PK_89Quest

Racetep - Top End Performance - Real or Junk  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• This Company is the real deal - I work with them
    • This Company is total Crap - Low Grade Junk

I've seen some feedback both ways on this company. Does anyone have definitive information on these guys and whether or not they are reputable?

I want nothing but the best for my girl so if this company is shuttling low grade crap I need to know. Suggestions on the best vendors for parts and upkeep would also help.

Answer the poll as well.

Thanks.

Tep is a decent place to buy their products. but i wouldnt have them build anything for me. buy parts though them, you will always get it quick, but dont let them build an engine, or install anything. bad things have happened due to that in the past

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
there stuff is decient quality, they do not stand behind anything, will screw you our of you money, i ordered a complete exhaust system, and it didnt have the last two pipes, they were gonna charge me restocking and make me pay to ship it back, i was told it was complete exhaust and the owner hung the phone up on me.. i will never buy from them..

It's a 50/50 chance... some have lucked out... some have been seriously burned (literally). That is NOT reputable.

WHY would you want to take a 50/50 chance when you can go 100%?? They have nothing new to offer, and are overpriced. You can get the same or BETTER things from other vendors. (Does TEP even deserve the name vendor?!)

www.enginemachineservice.com

www.rockauto.com

-Robert

EDIT: You want nothing but the best?? Then stay away from TEP. End of story.

Edited by Komeuppance

steve nelson told me he didnt have time for my problems and hung up on me.. i didnt appreciate that, i paid 500 bucks for half an exhaust...

Ive never had a problem talking to or ordering parts from Steve on the phone???

CALIBER 308

It's a 50/50 chance... some have lucked out... some have been seriously burned (literally). That is NOT reputable.

WHY would you want to take a 50/50 chance when you can go 100%?? They have nothing new to offer, and are overpriced. You can get the same or BETTER things from other vendors. (Does TEP even deserve the name vendor?!)

www.enginemachineservice.com

www.rockauto.com

-Robert

EDIT: You want nothing but the best?? Then stay away from TEP. End of story.

And how many times have you ordered parts from them? Ive been doing it for 6 years !!! Never had a problem with the quality of the parts ordered, or the shipping and service on the phone. And ive ordered well over $3000.00 worth of parts.

CALIBER 308

And how many times have you ordered parts from them? Ive been doing it for 6 years !!! Never had a problem with the quality of the parts ordered, or the shipping and service on the phone. And ive ordered well over $3000.00 worth of parts.

CALIBER 308

I've ordered about twice a smuch over the years, dating back to 1994 (about a dozzen transactions). I've had many problems, as many bad as good.

I've had part quality issues causing new motor damage, 6 week shipping on a supposedly in-stock item, way out of balance new parts, and been treated horribly by Steve himself, on more than one occasion.

For every good experiance I've had, there is an equaly signifigant bad one. I'd still buy some things because they have some good pricing on several items, but I'm very leary of them and shop arround first.

I agree with the 50/50 comparison, that about sums up my experiances over the last 14 years.

I've ordered about twice a smuch over the years, dating back to 1994 (about a dozzen transactions). I've had many problems, as many bad as good.

I've had part quality issues causing new motor damage, 6 week shipping on a supposedly in-stock item, way out of balance new parts, and been treated horribly by Steve himself, on more than one occasion.

For every good experiance I've had, there is an equaly signifigant bad one. I'd still buy some things because they have some good pricing on several items, but I'm very leary of them and shop arround first.

I agree with the 50/50 comparison, that about sums up my experiances over the last 14 years.

So Chad, Ive had 100% good experances dealing with TEP, You have had 50%. So........

CALIBER 308

Ive never had a problem talking to or ordering parts from Steve on the phone???

CALIBER 308

well he didnt have time for me was the problem, i had to call for a week before i even got him on the phone... bad experience for me.

well he didnt have time for me was the problem, i had to call for a week before i even got him on the phone... bad experience for me.

Sorry you had a bad experience. The next time I talk to Steve ill mention it.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

CALIBER 308

I've been doing it over 8 years !!! And I've ordered well over $300.00 worth of parts.

LOL... anyway... what does it matter?? The facts are there, half had ok transactions and the other half are not satisfied.

I stopped bothering with them after more suppliers became availble. I've called them more than than a few times and each time they have no customer service skills at all, some of those times just plain careless (rude). Only needed replacement parts, ARP's, BSEK's... I noticed thier "labor" parts prices were on the high side after shopping around, and stayed away.

In a scientific test, to get a real average... you eliminate the highest and lowest figures out of set of data.

-Robert

then you can tell Steve the same thing for me too ;)

If you are 100%, I'm 50%, and atleast one of these members are 0%, the average is at or below 50%.

For the record, I voted positivly on this, moslty to balance those who are unreasonably negitive, and because I have had a few of those transactions actualy go well.

I've had several bad experiances at my local grocery store, I still shop there. You have to take the bad with the good or you'll be out of choices eventualy.

I have never actually purchased from TEP but I called to place orders several times over the years. Everytime I called, I decided to not purchase from them. Each time I was treated with disrespect from Steve. I got the feeling that I was wasting his time. He didn't answer some of the questions that I had on specific parts/machining operations. I was always polite but always ended the call with 'thank you for your time, I'll have to think about it a bit'.

I agree with the comments from some of the others about TEP not progressing their starquest line. They have not been inovative in coming up/stocking new parts for our cars over the past 10 years. They essentially have the identical catalog for starquests that they had 13+ years ago.

I remember carrying a printout of their catalog when I was a freshman in college (1995), basically drooling about the performance parts and wondering how I would be able to afford to buy some of them. So at the time they were one of the only companies who focused on our line of cars. So I have to give them a ton of credit for that. The options then were CNM or TEP (well I guess there was HKS as well but for 500% the price). CNM was cheeper and had a different lineup of parts....but we all saw how that story ended.

So in all, I'm very mixed on TEP. I personally feel a bit devoted to them because they supported us guys very well back when our cars are newer...but I don't like Steve's attitude and it has kept me from purchasing from them to date.

kev

Seems 308 is the only one with a total positive experience. One out of ten is not acceptable. I haven't seen many good reviews on TEP. I would never buy from them because of the bad attitude. Even if their parts were perfect. There is just no excuse for poor customer relations. It's my money and I expect them to earn it with complete service.

• 2 weeks later...