Rebuilding the L4N71B, required parts?

natallica

Hey guys, the time is closing in on wanting/needing to start my auto tranny rebuild for my new 89 Fiji. I have intentions on having MikeMeyerhoff do my kevlar bands and I was going to purchase a master rebuild kit and a new vacuum modulator form this site and a few other things, question is:

If I'd like to do a complete rebuild, what all parts are necessary to replace? Aside from the Master Kit, I was also thinking of a bushing kit and a few of the gaskets and seals but I'm unsure what all I'd be needing.

So if anyone reads this, and is really bored, head over to TransmissionpartsUSA and see if you can come up with a nice "build" list :)

Just want to get everything I really need all at one time but I don;t wanna buy a bunch of things that aren't necessary either.

Also, if anyone knows if Rob still does the VB mods, I'd be interested in a stage 1 mod if possible.

Thanks

-N8

Sprags are a fairly common hard part that could use replacing. As they get some miles, and wear, they seem to become harder to install.

The trans I have seen apart generally seemed to hold up well even if the friction/steels/bands were crispy critters. The hard parts, bushings, etc were all reusable.

The mater rebuild kit I used had all the gaskets. Hard parts, ie drums, sprags and such I got from JP Transmission in TX. I messed up some bushings and got a bag full them from JP also. My OD Drum was toast from the band going down to metal. There are different drums for Mits, Nissian, etc so let them know how far down the drum the snap ring groove is. Same drum but different friction/steel stacks determine the groove for the snap ring.They are on the net. The FSM is good concerning the rebuild procedure but I also bought the CD from ATSG. Had more detail and more drawings. Mike is the guy to go to for the bands. Good luck, if I can do it, anyone can. Edited by Alan

On the one I rebuild the bands had worn out and eaten into the drums, I just took the drums to my friendly machinist and had them turned, everything came out in spec. I also agree with Mike, the one I rebuilt toasted the frictions (came out in pieces) but only the bands, steels and frictions needed replacing. All else was still very serviceable.

The mater rebuild kit I used had all the gaskets. Hard parts, ie drums, sprags and such I got from JP Transmission in TX. I messed up some bushings and got a bag full them from JP also. My OD Drum was toast from the band going down to metal. There are different drums for Mits, Nissian, etc so let them know how far down the drum the snap ring groove is. Same drum but different friction/steel stacks determine the groove for the snap ring.They are on the net. The FSM is good concerning the rebuild procedure but I also bought the CD from ATSG. Had more detail and more drawings. Mike is the guy to go to for the bands. Good luck, if I can do it, anyone can.

Cool, thanks Guys!

Hey Alan...any chance of burning or possibly uploading the files off of that CD to MediaFire or some other hosting site? :) I'll Paypal ya a couple bucks for your trouble.

-N8