2.6 Balance Shaft Elimination

KO

Instructions:

http://koquest.homestead.com/files/2.6bals...nstructions.pdf

How to posted by Fasteddy:

Remove radiator/hoses, a/c compressor and bracket (leave hoses attached), alternator ( at pivot bolt), p/s pump, turbo oil return hose, valve cover. Loosen pan bolts and lower (do not have to drop) oil pan- remove pan bolts that go into timing cover. Remove distributor (after you've put the engine on tdc for #1, with both valves on #1 closed) and two front small head bolts in front of cam gear. Remove timing cover and water pump together (and dont let the water pump hub smack the condenser). Remove bolt from oil pump sprocket while holding other bolt on oil pump from turning, remove bolt from driver side shaft sprocket, and you can hold sprocket from turning and bugger it if you want- no longer needed, and remove bal. shaft chain and crank sprocket. Remove all bal. shaft chain guides. Pull drivers side shaft and retainer. Drive in blank bearing in front hole. Remove oil pump bolts and pull pump. Pull shaft from pump. Insert new stub shaft in pump, and reinstall pump with new gasket. (OPTIONAL) Pull large plug bolt from oil pump body located at 1:00, and insert small flat washer in the cup in the bolt to raise oil pressure 10-12psi. Install new short chain and sprocket on oil pump and crank and locktite the bolt on the oil pump sprocket. Before installing new lower guide below the new short chain, oval out the middle mounting hole with a small rat tail file or Dremel to give some adjustment swing to the guide. Drive out old front oil seal and drive in new one. Reassemble. Reset timing (See Gabe's FAQ on Timing). Done job.

Should I have the engine balanced or can I do this while the engine is in the car?: It's your call. The balance shafts were designed to create a smooth idle for the long stroke of the 2.6, take the shafts out without rebalancing and you often get a "buzz" in the shifter in the upper RPM range. If the engine is out, then absolutely, have it balanced. My 88 was built without the balance shafts and rebalanced, it's very smooth. Eliminating the shafts is an easy way to get more oil pressure, and there is less chain under the timing cover/less weight on the rotating mass. I've heard there is anywhere from a 5hp-15hp increase after eliminating the shafts, but none of these numbers have been proven and I'm leaning more towards the 5hp 8) It's your call, some of the guys here will tell you outright to just do yourself a favor and pull them (Pumped TSi:)), and others will tell you to have the engine balanced after doing it. One thing is for sure, if your oil pressure begins to decline and you suspect one of the shafts is biting the dust; do yourself a favor and pull them before your engine needs a rebuild!!

(Please do not respond to this post on this board if you have a question or response, take it over to the Engine Mods or Virtual Mechanic page, thanks, KO.)