6 bolt cv axle boots

I just ordered a pair of diff seals from rockauto since mine are pretty dry and brittle and when I removed the shafts a few little pieces of the seal come off too. My question is....how do I remove the old seals and install the new ones without damaging the diff housing?

Napa is the way to go. These are actually Spicer brand CV Boots.

Here are the part numbers:

full

This link had a detailed step by step procedure on how to tear down the axles, clean, replace the boots, and reassemble. However I believe the pictures are toast.

http://starquest.i-x...er=asc&start=25

I started to make up an updated thread on this topic but I inadvertently deleted the photos from the disassembly process but have a bunch of assembly photos.

Tools you need to have:

• External Retaining Ring Pliers for Constant Thickness (Eaton Style) Retaining Rings
  • CV Boot Strap Crimp Pliers

full

The retaining ring pliers have to have a tip that looks like this:

full

All the parts torn down and ready for rebuild:

full

I'll add more photos of the assembly once I upload them.

P.S. moving this thread back to the VM forum.

kev

Ok photos uploaded. Going to let the pictures tell the story. THis is for assembly...naturally disassembly is in reverse of these steps.

full

full

full

full

full

Install the bands....get them nice and TIGHT prior to crimping. As tight as you can...you may need a second set of hands to do this..I did.

full

full

Here is how it should look after crimping:

full

full

full

Moving on to outer boots:

Make sure to slide the outer boots on first!! If you don't, you'll be pissed.

full

Be very careful with this external retaining ring...I have yet to find a replacement that meets the stock specs. Be careful when you disassemble the axles that you don't over expand it and plastically deform it!

full

full

full

full

Lubricate the spline with some of the grease that comes with the boot.

full

SLIDE ON THE CAGE NOW PRIOR TO THE STAR LIKE JOINT!!

full

Chamfer side of this joint goes IN

full

Slide it on and use a standard style external retaining ring to secure it in place (the CV boot came with a new standard style retaining ring)

full

full

Turn the cage 30 degrees to slide over the joint.

full

and rotate it back in position.

full

Apply a little grease to each ball and pop into position in the cage.

full

full

Grease the hell out of it.

full

Slide on the hub.

full

Install a new C clip...they came with the CV boots.

full

full

full

Slide down boot and install.

full

Clamp and crimp like you did with the other one.

full

Note: I like to have the crimps on the bands 180 degrees out from one another for best balance. Not sure if it really matters but it can't hurt.

full

Last but not least. Polish the axle. I used 600 grit emery:

full

full

I haven't found a replacement retaining clip yet for the end. Don't remove yours, just clean it up good. If the clip shows signs of deformation and you are worried that it will no longer retain the axle, you may need to find a replacement from an old set of axles. As I said, I cannot find an aftermarket clip or OEM mitsu clip that meets the stock specs.

full

That's about it. I could elaborate on each step but I think the pictures tell the story. Sorry if this was overkill on this specific thread but I have been meaning to upload/post these pics for over a year now and this thread motivated me to do so.

I'm VERY interested to see if anybody has found a replacement constant thickness external retaining ring that meets the stock specs (not the one they give you with the CV boot...it is too thin). Same goes for the C clip on the axle spline.

Kevin

FYI I went to NAPA a few months ago and they said one of the boots were no longer available and the other they could only find me 1 which was far away.

Kev, Thanks A LOT for the pictures. I rebuilt one shaft last night and I'll rebuild the other tonight. I went to autozone and picked up 4 of the dorman part number 614-001. These boots fit the inner and outer just fine and were in stock at my local store. Luckily the snap ring pliers I had were strong enough to get the retaining clip off of the cage side. I cleaned everything really good with brake cleaner and degreaser and then repacked the cage with a ton of grease. It has WAY smoother movement now. I put the boots on but didn't have the proper pliers for the clamps so I ordered a set and they'll be to be on Thursday. I'm also waiting on a set of new differential seals to arrive. I'm hoping that I can use a flathead or something to remove the old diff seals and then just grease the hell out of the new ones and try to use a rubber mallet with a socket to guide them in. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

FYI I went to NAPA a few months ago and they said one of the boots were no longer available and the other they could only find me 1 which was far away.

Figures! They had to order mine in as well..took a few days but they found them. But it has been over a year.

I was told by another member that the Raybestos brand (8162951 & 8162943) available thru rockauto fit good...although I personally haven't used that brand. Rockauto says FWD on the P/N, disregard that.

kev

I rebuilt one shaft last night and I'll rebuild the other tonight. I went to autozone and picked up 4 of the dorman part number 614-001. These boots fit the inner and outer just fine and were in stock at my local store. Luckily the snap ring pliers I had were strong enough to get the retaining clip off of the cage side. I cleaned everything really good with brake cleaner and degreaser and then repacked the cage with a ton of grease. It has WAY smoother movement now. I put the boots on but didn't have the proper pliers for the clamps so I ordered a set and they'll be to be on Thursday. I'm also waiting on a set of new differential seals to arrive. I'm hoping that I can use a flathead or something to remove the old diff seals and then just grease the hell out of the new ones and try to use a rubber mallet with a socket to guide them in.

Cool. Did you have to remove that retaining ring or were you able to get the boot over it? I thought about leaving it on and carefully working the boot over it but now that I have the tool, it only takes a few secs to remove it.

Screwdriver will work but they usually don't come out easy. But you have enough room back there to work tho with the axles out. Don't grease the OD of the new seals for install. Use a bearing installer like the one I show in the photo or a very large socket, washer, or something similar in diameter as you said. Take your time tapping them in. They aren't too bad to install but if you kink one it is junk and will leak.

Kevin

I just removed the outside retaining clip on the cage side of the axle shaft and not the inner clip; I was able to slip the boot over it. Thanks for the advice on the diff seal. I'll try to pop them out tonight. They look and feel REALLY brittle and is definitely time for them to be replaced. I got them from rockauto on clearance for like $5 each.

I got the diff seals out, what a PITA! It took a small pry bar with a lot of force. The rubber inner seal was dry and practically fell apart in my hand when I removed it. The new ones, which I test fit over the axle shafts for proper inner diameter, have much softer rubber so hopefully this will be the last time I do this. The new ones went in relatively smooth. I had to find something of the right diameter to use as a point to hammer on. The rebuilt axle shafts went in really easy and they "clicked". I gave them a few good tugs to make sure they were seated well. Another long overdue maintenance item checked off the list! Edited by CaliConquestAlex

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to order the NAPA ones and this is what I got back:

Thank you for shopping on NAPAonline.com. We apologize for the delay in contacting you about your order. Unfortunately, the items you ordered are not available at this time. They are on factory back-order, and we do not have an estimated delivery date. Your order has been cancelled, and you will not be charged for the item.

We apologize for any inconvenience and again we thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com.

Guess I will check out Rockauto or autozone.

Tried to order the NAPA ones and this is what I got back:

Thank you for shopping on NAPAonline.com. We apologize for the delay in contacting you about your order. Unfortunately, the items you ordered are not available at this time. They are on factory back-order, and we do not have an estimated delivery date. Your order has been cancelled, and you will not be charged for the item.

We apologize for any inconvenience and again we thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com.

Guess I will check out Rockauto or autozone.

Just as I stated in my post #12.

Im thinking of sending them out to get rebuilt. It costs more but I dont have all the tools or the time to reboot them. Some have gotten lucky with the Raybestos ones off rockauto. Some other cars have boots that will fit ours as well.

Oh I wouldn't do that.

Just did a little searching...JC Whitney sells the EMPI brand that is recommended by PQ in the SOS forums:

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1023&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

EMPI and Spicer are most likely identical based on the appearance and similarities in the P/N's.

Anywyas:;

SKU #: JCW-EMP862161D Mfr #: 86-2161-D

&

SKU #: JCW-EMP862179D Mfr #: 86-2179-D

http://www.jcwhitney.com/empi-oe-replacement-cv-boot/p3052721.jcwx?filterid=d352y1989g396j1

kev

Oh I wouldn't do that.

Just did a little searching...JC Whitney sells the EMPI brand that is recommended by PQ in the SOS forums:

http://starquest.i-x...er=asc&start=25

EMPI and Spicer are most likely identical based on the appearance and similarities in the P/N's.

Anywyas:;

SKU #: JCW-EMP862161D Mfr #: 86-2161-D

&

SKU #: JCW-EMP862179D Mfr #: 86-2179-D

http://www.jcwhitney...d352y1989g396j1

kev

Good find.