Ram issues?

on4now4

This is my work computer i am having issues with.

Specs:

Dell Precision T3400

Intel Xeon Dual core @2.4Ghz

12GB ram (don't know speed)

Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

Windows XP X64 Edition

The issue that i am having is slowly it has been getting slower and slower. to the point that recently i can no longer load a whole job (prolly means nothing to you guys) but... When i would go to the Task manager i saw that the usage of the ram was maxed out at aprox 30GB when it was crashing the program.

So over the weekend i ran Memtest86 it did 37 passes and did not come back with one single issue. So I'm pretty sure my ram is fine. Now i have spend most of today going through and just deleting all the crap that was on here i found a couple spyware things and such but nothing real big and now it runs quite a bit better but it still crashes when trying to load a job. The difference is. Now when it crashes i can watch the ram usage slowly rise to 4.67 and then crash... Why would it crash there? the machine has 12 GB of ram... What could be causing this? does anyone have an idea?

I do IT work for a living, and XP is not supported anymore, i have seen some big issues with XP and Vista , and am rolling out WIN7 to get rid of all these bugs... suggest you upgrade to 7 , will clear alot of issues up... unless there is a process in the background killing you, MALWAREBYTES try running that, but consider upgrading ASAP

Do you have any way of finding out the CPU operating temperature during said crash? CPU or box fan could be failing...or you may have another undetected Malware/Spyware issue. Malwarebytes and Spybot are my favs and Spybot generally catches things that Malwarebytes misses... as long as they are updated with the current definitions.

-N8

you have a memory leak, what programs do you have running when it gets to that point? btw, it probably says your usiung 30gb of page file, since you only have 12gb of ram

x64 XP has always been buggy to begin with, as stated, a win 7 upgrade would be best.

As soon as it starts bogging, open task manager, see how many processes are running, then go in the processes tab, sort by memory usage, and see whats using most and how much.

Firefox had a big memory leak for a while along with some games, where it will slowly start using all the ram, and getting bigger and bigger til the computer crashes

I do IT work for a living, and XP is not supported anymore, i have seen some big issues with XP and Vista , and am rolling out WIN7 to get rid of all these bugs... suggest you upgrade to 7 , will clear alot of issues up... unless there is a process in the background killing you, MALWAREBYTES try running that, but consider upgrading ASAP

Yes, I have considered upgrading and we do run windows 7 on some of our computers but in this line of work there is really no need for the added expanse. it would be nice to make everything the same. But that costs money.

Do you have any way of finding out the CPU operating temperature during said crash? CPU or box fan could be failing...or you may have another undetected Malware/Spyware issue. Malwarebytes and Spybot are my favs and Spybot generally catches things that Malwarebytes misses... as long as they are updated with the current definitions.

-N8

I guess i should specify its only the program that crashes. The computer itself does not crash... That being said yes i have been monitoring the temps and all temps appear to be fine. I will give the malwarebytes a try. Any ideas besides Spyware?

Yes, I have considered upgrading and we do run windows 7 on some of our computers but in this line of work there is really no need for the added expanse. it would be nice to make everything the same. But that costs money.

I guess i should specify its only the program that crashes. The computer itself does not crash... That being said yes i have been monitoring the temps and all temps appear to be fine. I will give the malwarebytes a try. Any ideas besides Spyware?

its not spyware as it would be full time.

Win 7 upgrade is probably the best thing you can do for it, i believe it is 129.99 for a Home Premium upgrade, though its a little more for professional

you have a memory leak, what programs do you have running when it gets to that point? btw, it probably says your usiung 30gb of page file, since you only have 12gb of ram

x64 XP has always been buggy to begin with, as stated, a win 7 upgrade would be best.

As soon as it starts bogging, open task manager, see how many processes are running, then go in the processes tab, sort by memory usage, and see whats using most and how much.

Firefox had a big memory leak for a while along with some games, where it will slowly start using all the ram, and getting bigger and bigger til the computer crashes

I am pretty sure it is pulling the 30 from Virtual Memory. Either way i am no longer getting the 30... it seems to be crashing as soon as it hits 4.67 not even close to the 12 gb i have.

The program is CATIA V5 R18

also dowload and run CCLEANER, especially the registry cleaner, use it on my computer and it keeps it smooth

Already done cone CCleaner along with another really good registry cleaner.

I am pretty sure it is pulling the 30 from Virtual Memory. Either way i am no longer getting the 30... it seems to be crashing as soon as it hits 4.67 not even close to the 12 gb i have.

The program is CATIA V5 R18

aside from the 37 passes, how long did you let the memtest run? it should take at minimum 12 hours for the ammount of ram you have

is the 4.67 the virtual/page or physical ram?

aside from the 37 passes, how long did you let the memtest run? it should take at minimum 12 hours for the ammount of ram you have

is the 4.67 the virtual/page or physical ram?

I let it fun from 4pm friday to 8 am monday.

The 4.67 is physical ram, it should not be having any issues yet...

do you have an email program on that computer ?

if you do you check your settings you may be archiving too many messages.

At a place I worked they had a lot of inter office corparate comunication and if subscribed to, or auto subscribed to, too many of those communications you may be filling up your inbox and your email program may be archiving them to save space.

Also other background programs that are intended to keep any software auto updated are suspect to use too much.

Defrag and if the space you have on the hard drive and if it is is partitioned maybe it is time for some new or additional hardware.

How is your RAM allocated and to which type of programs are questions you should ask yourself.

Edited by Metric-man

do you have an email program on that computer ?

if you do you check your settings you may be archiving too many messages.

At a place I worked they had a lot of inter office corparate comunication and if subscribed to, or auto subscribed to, too many of those communications you may be filling up your inbox and your email program may be archiving them to save space.

Also other background programs that are intended to keep any software auto updated are suspect to use too much.

Defrag and if the space you have on the hard drive and if it is is partitioned maybe it is time for some new or additional hardware.

How is your RAM allocated and to which type of programs are questions you should ask yourself.

well iv checked into all this all seems to be well. I am still pretty baffled by this i have some spare computers around here i may just start swapping some parts to see if that fixes anything...

i will give it a try. But good news guys!!1

There was a setting in the Options > infrastructure menu the is called "work with cache system" everyone says it should be off and will make the program run like crap... well i turned it on just to see what happens and it seems to be running great!! i was able to load 6 huge jobs in one session and it was showing no signs of stopping me from opening more.

I will still run some more tests on my hard drive and such.