Best SQ insurance?

mstieg

Now that the Starion will be on the road again, I'm looking specifically for FLORIDA SQ policy recommendations, but overall general quotes won't hurt either.

Stupid E-surance is upping their renewal rates by $95 more for the Saturn, despite my perfect record, 0 claims, etc. Apparently it's due to the "increasing cost of doing business in FL". BS, they quoted me lower to get me to join before the no-fault was re-instated as manditory by law. I bet many will be bait-&-hooked by their auto-renewal payment setup. Cancelled mine.

Sooo, a 2 car package is what I'll need. Sucks that I'll have to go through all this crap again & can't just add the Starion onto the current policy.

Now that the Starion will be on the road again, I'm looking specifically for FLORIDA SQ policy recommendations, but overall general quotes won't hurt either.

Stupid E-surance is upping their renewal rates by $95 more for the Saturn, despite my perfect record, 0 claims, etc. Apparently it's due to the "increasing cost of doing business in FL". BS, they quoted me lower to get me to join before the no-fault was re-instated as manditory by law. I bet many will be bait-&-hooked by their auto-renewal payment setup. Cancelled mine.

Sooo, a 2 car package is what I'll need. Sucks that I'll have to go through all this crap again & can't just add the Starion onto the current policy.

I'm slowly transferring my cars over to classic insurance since I don't daily drive any of them any more. It's a little complicated. You have to send in pictures and prove you'll garage them and then there are restrictions on when you can drive and how many miles, usually 2500/year and no night or wet driving.

If that's fine with you though, you can usually quadruple your coverage, or more, and cut your premium in half, or less. You also have some say in how much the car is insured for. I'm insuring the car in my sig for $20k and it'll still be less than half what I'm already paying. Nice to no a total loss won't net me $2000, from the insurance company though. Now that they're almost all 20 years old, this is an option in many states.

One day I'll have to look into that. Right now I just have liability. $60 a month.

Funny how Nationwide considers a Starion/Conquest as a 3door 5 passenger car. No mention of a turbocharger in their database ( man when we first got the quote my mom made the lady have a good look at me and guess my age and then argued with her that it was wrong - thats how we found out what they classified the car as )

I would look into some more reputable insurance companies. Not saying E-surance isn't, but I mean more like Nationwide and the like ( other names escape me currently ) - you may be surprised at what is offered

I'm not sure what all the dealio is with Florida though

Edited by Fanta

I'm slowly transferring my cars over to classic insurance since I don't daily drive any of them any more. It's a little complicated. You have to send in pictures and prove you'll garage them and then there are restrictions on when you can drive and how many miles, usually 2500/year and no night or wet driving.

If that's fine with you though, you can usually quadruple your coverage, or more, and cut your premium in half, or less. You also have some say in how much the car is insured for. I'm insuring the car in my sig for $20k and it'll still be less than half what I'm already paying. Nice to know a total loss won't net me $2000, from the insurance company though. Now that they're almost all 20 years old, this is an option in many states.

That's another thing I'm wondering about...who has the best classic insurance. It will not be a daily driver and will be the 2nd car with no bad weather driving. I found that the aftermarket parts - added insurance requires collision and also tops out at 3500-4k. Not worth the added cost of another few hundred IMO. Classic may be the only way to go. I assume that can include as much/little as you want right? $20k seems good given the time & money it would take for a full replacement.

The big name and little ones alike didn't cut me much for deals in FL when I first moved here and switched over. It may be diff. with 2 cars now.

Nationwide's awesome. Full coverage on both the Quest and the A4 (w/ $500 deductible) is $170/mo. AND since I have all my receipts for everything done to the Quest, they take them all into consideration in the case of an accident.

Im in VA but i pay about $200 a year to insure my starion. Its a rarely driven thing but i have 2 other cars insured with the same company and a clean record. Im with geico on my cars. I havent looked into classic car insurance yet but my car will be 25 next year:)

As it sits with my current policy with Geico....

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis

1988 Mitsubishi Starion

Liability on both, with uninsured asspipe coverage, runs me 53 a month, which is fine, as Geico refuses to fully insure anything as old as what I drive.

Now....

Grundy seems to have the best deal on collector car insurance. For a 10,000 dollar agreed value policy on my Starion, with no mileage limits, it's almost 200 a year. The catch is, you must have a daily driver, and the car must have a garage to sit in. But you can drive it as you see fit.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be doing some searching here tomorrow night online. I'd like classic coverage to give more than crappy BB value and will have it garaged full time as a weekend fun car, so it fits the bill. Honestly though, how would they know how much I drive it?

For now, I just need el-cheapo minimum coverage to get it down here on and store until my Saturn's E-surance runs out in May.

I sometimes have delusions of grandure about selling the Saturn and daily driving the Starion again since I've always enjoyed it so much. Even with higher gas prices for the Starion, it should be able to get 25mpg on a softer tune, and losing the monthly lease on the Saturn would open up over $250/month not counting the required full coverage for that. There'll be a LOT more for me to learn with the Hawk before I'll be able to trust the Starion however.

Honestly though, how would they know how much I drive it?

They check the odometer when you go on the plan. They check it yearly I believe.

Helps when you have another gauge cluster laying around to get around it all :D ( I did it with my '72 Charger lol )

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be doing some searching here tomorrow night online. I'd like classic coverage to give more than crappy BB value and will have it garaged full time as a weekend fun car, so it fits the bill. Honestly though, how would they know how much I drive it?

For now, I just need el-cheapo minimum coverage to get it down here on and store until my Saturn's E-surance runs out in May.

I sometimes have delusions of grandure about selling the Saturn and daily driving the Starion again since I've always enjoyed it so much. Even with higher gas prices for the Starion, it should be able to get 25mpg on a softer tune, and losing the monthly lease on the Saturn would open up over $250/month not counting the required full coverage for that. There'll be a LOT more for me to learn with the Hawk before I'll be able to trust the Starion however.

if you plan on daily driving the starion here is what i would do.

buy a spare engine top to bottom and have it built just waiting for you so if anything ever goes wrong you just swap motors:) i wish i had a spare.

if you plan on daily driving the starion here is what i would do.

buy a spare engine top to bottom and have it built just waiting for you so if anything ever goes wrong you just swap motors:) i wish i had a spare.

Right on. For 6 months of payments or less I could have another built engine waiting. Like I said, that's more of a delusion though. =)

Grundy seems to have the best deal on collector car insurance. For a 10,000 dollar agreed value policy on my Starion, with no mileage limits, it's almost 200 a year. The catch is, you must have a daily driver, and the car must have a garage to sit in. But you can drive it as you see fit.

Tim

Is this for real? Their website is pretty plain. I'll have to call to verify this about the milage, etc. I mean whose to say none of us get some raggy beater for a winter car and list it as the daily?

Is this simply a piggyback policy that covers the car's value only?

Edited by mstieg

Coverage Information Vehicle Quote

Agreed Value $15000 modified Liability Rate $30

Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability

$100000 with Comp and Collision Comp and Collision Rate $210

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Statutory Limit Deductible $0

Med Payments (State Limit) Included

Tax $0

I got a quote of $240/year for Grundy's insurance at $15000 modified, however when I called them, I was told they will not cover it due to the low resale value (unlike Rustangs & vettes). It does not qualify for their Classic coverage since it's not yet 25 years old. hmmm

I wonder if I couldn't get Andrew's info on the sale of his SQ for $14000 and convince them otherwise. Mine has much more aftermarket work done than his, but the paint isn't pristine.

I'll just add it to my current E-surance for now and the multi-car discount seems to help. I'd really feel more comfortable driving around these old farts with a high payout Grundy deal tho.