12 replies to this topic

#1 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

I searched and didnt find much info on this although ive seen the thread before.. was unable to find it.. anyway My small front a/c fan.. the one that is by itself centered in the condenser near the coolant overflow and a/c dryer... that one. Anyway.. its r.i.p and not sure what to do.. a friend of mine (who has TONS of starquest parts) had 2 of them.. both r.i.p tho we found out.. soooo i guess im going to wire in a u-fit it electric fan.. my questions are.. the stock fan.. does it push air towards the front bumper or pull air back towards the engine?? Also what size is this fan? 10"? 12"? Thanks

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Are you sure they are dead?  How did you test them?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#3 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Following
Posted Image

#4 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

It pushes air toward the engine. Yeah, I'd hook them to a small lawn mower battery or something similar directly before discarding them. You might have a wiring issue with your car.

As far as size goes, can't you just measure one of the ones you have?
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#5 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

I was going to check my wiring before i did anything. Im "assuming" my wiring is ok.. i came to the idea that these fans all suck and are going out. Figured someone should do some research and find a good/cheap fix. I guess i could always repair the stock fan.. but a new better fan is $20 on Amazon... when i verify my wiring is not the issue i guess il pull the fan and measure it.

#6 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I have 1 For sale 25 plus shippijng...........................

#7 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,334 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

The front "pusher" fan is used by two things on StarQuests:
1: the air conditioner system.
2: the engine cooling system.

The way it's wired, if the radiator thermosensor for the secondary fan (the one that kicks ON at higher engine coolant temps) triggers the secondary fan the pusher fan will run as well.  So that's an easy way to test half of the wiring and the fan motor itself:  With the engine OFF and cold, crawl under the car and look for the two thermosensors in the bottom of the radiator.  One will be under the smaller of the two engine-side fans; that's the secondary.  Unplug the wire going to that thermosensor and run a jumper wire from the wire itself (not the thermosensor) to a ground point.  Now turn the ignition key to the ON position.  Both the secondary fan and the front pusher fan should be running.  If the front pusher is turning but doesn't look to be going all that fast it's dead... you're seeing it "windmill" in the airflow created by the secondary fan.

The A/C computer has a separate relay to trigger the pusher fan... but the A/C doesn't always use the pusher fan whenever the air conditioning is running.  On really hot days, which makes the refrigerant pressures increase, a high-pressure switch near the receiver/dryer may trip.  That signals the pusher fan to kick in - to help lower the refrigerant temps and keep the pressures from getting even higher... so they don't trip the over-pressure side of the "dual pressure switch."  If the air conditioner is running but the refrigerant temps aren't super-high (which indicates either low refrigerant levels or that the ambient air temperatures aren't desert hot), the pusher fan stays OFF.  For folks that converted to R134a, changing the wiring to make the pusher run whenever the air conditioning compressor is ON is a worthwhile job: R134a needs a larger condenser (front radiator) compared to the old R12 that StarQuests were designed to use.  Without changing the condenser, R134a conversions can't run at full capability... but making the pusher fan help all the time increases the effectiveness of the stock condenser partly compensating for it being too small.  I posted the simple tweak to the relay wiring years ago to make the pusher run whenever the a/c triggers the other fans... a SEARCH should find it.

mike c.

#8 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

Posted Image
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#9 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

View Postmikec, on 04 August 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

The front "pusher" fan is used by two things on StarQuests:
1: the air conditioner system.
2: the engine cooling system.

The way it's wired, if the radiator thermosensor for the secondary fan (the one that kicks ON at higher engine coolant temps) triggers the secondary fan the pusher fan will run as well.  So that's an easy way to test half of the wiring and the fan motor itself:  With the engine OFF and cold, crawl under the car and look for the two thermosensors in the bottom of the radiator.  One will be under the smaller of the two engine-side fans; that's the secondary.  Unplug the wire going to that thermosensor and run a jumper wire from the wire itself (not the thermosensor) to a ground point.  Now turn the ignition key to the ON position.  Both the secondary fan and the front pusher fan should be running.  If the front pusher is turning but doesn't look to be going all that fast it's dead... you're seeing it "windmill" in the airflow created by the secondary fan.

The A/C computer has a separate relay to trigger the pusher fan... but the A/C doesn't always use the pusher fan whenever the air conditioning is running.  On really hot days, which makes the refrigerant pressures increase, a high-pressure switch near the receiver/dryer may trip.  That signals the pusher fan to kick in - to help lower the refrigerant temps and keep the pressures from getting even higher... so they don't trip the over-pressure side of the "dual pressure switch."  If the air conditioner is running but the refrigerant temps aren't super-high (which indicates either low refrigerant levels or that the ambient air temperatures aren't desert hot), the pusher fan stays OFF.  For folks that converted to R134a, changing the wiring to make the pusher run whenever the air conditioning compressor is ON is a worthwhile job: R134a needs a larger condenser (front radiator) compared to the old R12 that StarQuests were designed to use.  Without changing the condenser, R134a conversions can't run at full capability... but making the pusher fan help all the time increases the effectiveness of the stock condenser partly compensating for it being too small.  I posted the simple tweak to the relay wiring years ago to make the pusher run whenever the a/c triggers the other fans... a SEARCH should find it.

mike c.
mike c, I’ve searched through all the ac threads you’ve chimed in on and cannot find the relay wiring mod for the pusher fan to come on always when the ac is on, or when the secondary fan kicks on. Please refresh me how to do this
Posted Image

#10 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

Turns out my fan is good and its either not coming on because certain parameters are not met... (i have seen it run full speed in the car 1 time)... or a wireing issue.. for anyone interested.. its a 10" fan. Also second the request for the relay mod... or how to make pusher fan come on with others

#11 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

View PostRapom, on 14 August 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

Turns out my fan is good and its either not coming on because certain parameters are not met... (i have seen it run full speed in the car 1 time)... or a wireing issue.. for anyone interested.. its a 10" fan. Also second the request for the relay mod... or how to make pusher fan come on with others

Did you see the table I posted?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#12 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

Yes thanks! Will mess with it more later. Anything on the relay mod?

#13 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts
  • Interests:making internet warriors cry

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

This is all you should need to know.
http://sosmanuals.mi...ns-jumper-wire/

The simplicity of a character is a natural form of prefound thought.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Hx35 Turbo,T3 Log Header,3inch dp,External Wastegate,Ported Everything.Air Conditioning!
Daily Driver
DIY http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
Parts http://www.enginemac...ms/conquest.php

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users