I think I have a blown Turbo seal

jwrape

Drove my new motor today about 10 miles down the road and I had a loss of oil pressure(still had oil pressure, just less of it) and when i would come to a stop the car would smoke like a train from tail pipe. The car also ran rough below 2000 rpms. I drove it back home and parked it....

Is my Turbo seal blown?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, I need some feedback here. Over 15 people have viewed the thread but not responded. Should I be looking for a rebuild kit or is this a symptom of something else wrong?

White smoke or blue smoke? could be the valve seals. check the turbo for play or you could be

cookin water from some where like the intake.

It was dark, but I am pretty certain it is only white smoke, although I do have a coolant leak along with this incident. It seems that I have a small coolant leak somewhere around the radiator. Can't tell where but there is water dripping from both sides of the car off the bottom of the radiator. It's not a lot of water like a blown hose BUT it is leaking still.

My temp sensor isn't working either. :fighting0061:

If the temp sensor is not working then change it, the computer wants to see all sensors working.

It might not be the radiator make sure water is not "traveling" to the radiator "area" to decoy

where the real leak is also if it was the radiator, hotass steam would be comming out when the car is at running temp.

If the temp sensor is not working then change it, the computer wants to see all sensors working.

It might not be the radiator make sure water is not "traveling" to the radiator "area" to decoy

where the real leak is also if it was the radiator, hotass steam would be comming out when the car is at running temp.

The most coolant I saw was on a couple of hoses about 1/2" that were right beside or under the air filter. I think it's a hose but I'm not sure.

The rough/low idle and sluggish running is wheat is concerning.

Pull your plugs to verify if you might have a coolant leak inside the engine. Also, are you sure the leak is coming OUT of the exhaust and not from under and out the car itself? Anything that leaks on our cars always tends to be on the passenger side and travels down along the exhaust.

You could be leaking from the turbo coolant line return also if the front cover gasket and water pump gasket are bad, you will get water in the system.

Any water in your radiator?

Yea, there is water and anitfreeze in the radiator. I will have to look closer tonight when i get home. I am at work right now and can't tell much.

I know almost for certain that all the smoke was from the tailpipe BUT I do know my windshield was sprinkled with antifreeze as i drove. When i opened the hood there was some water here and there but nothing like a HUGE gaping hole just maybe something spraying a little. Like a pin hole or a leaking clamp. The car wasn't hot and my fans were running.

You could be leaking from the turbo coolant line return also if the front cover gasket and water pump gasket are bad, you will get water in the system.

All the gaskets should be good. They are all new.

I did look at the motor around the head to see if anything was leaking down the block, as in a blown head gasket and didn't see anything but then again it could be leaking inside the cylinders.

When i opened the hood there was some water here and there but nothing like a HUGE gaping hole just maybe something spraying a little. Like a pin hole or a leaking clamp. The car wasn't hot and my fans were running.

I hate it when you have those tiny leaks. I hate it even more when it hits the radiator fan and goes everywhere and throws you for a loop till you have the car running and you're leaning over the engine and get a face full of coolant mist. Kinda tastes like marshmallows.

FYI - exhaust gets hot pretty quickly too.

Kinda tastes like marshmallows.

FYI- Antifreeze is poison and will actually kill you. Be careful with that stuff. I have seen a couple dogs get into it and die. It's a miserable death.

85% chance it's your turbo. If you rev the motor and the smoke goes away, definaitly your turbo.

That's exactly what it does. Driving down the road there's no smoke. at idle it smokes like a chimney.

The antifreeze leak must be a seperate issue that just reared it's ugly head at the same time.

Where do I get a rebuild kit? Or where do I get a used 12a or bigger for cheap?

I know antifreeze can kill, but thats if you drink it, not put a sparkplug to the tip of your tongue or something. There's a shop in Forest Park, Diesel Fuel Injection? that rebuilds turbo's for a GREAT price. Or you can pay Randomguy $100 to do it. As for a used 12a? You're on SQC... there is parts for sale and items wanted :lol: I'll see what I can dig up if it is your turbo in fact. Edited by Fanta

I know antifreeze can kill, but thats if you drink it, not put a sparkplug to the tip of your tongue or something. There's a shop in Forest Park, Diesel Fuel Injection? that rebuilds turbo's for a GREAT price. Or you can pay Randomguy $100 to do it. As for a used 12a? You're on SQC... there is parts for sale and items wanted :lol: I'll see what I can dig up if it is your turbo in fact.

Yea, someone else recommended that place to rebuild it but I think I would get it done faster if I rebuilt it myself or Randomguy doing it locally.

Edited by jwrape

Its too easy to rebuild it yourself just get some retaining pliers.

Yea, I thought it would be. It doesn't look like rocket science. I just need to find the kit locally. All the Turbo service places are all Far away from here at work or home.

a turbo does not

and can not

leak water

ever

or

its

internally cracked and

JUNK

there is no

"seal" in a turbo

that has

anything to

do with

WATER

DO NOT BUY A TURBO KIT

you got a leak, its a hose, its some hose back behind the motor, it may be a head gasket if the tail pipe smells like coolant, put a rag over it and let it absorb some exhaust then pull it off let it cool then smell of it, if its coolant you can smell the residue

the throttlebody may be leaking, it could build pressure and spray out under it and suck that into the cylinders and burn it, same goes for the intake manifold gasket

no hose in your car leads to anywhere it can get coolant into a cylinder but a badly blown head gasket can and a dar won't run well or idle for crap with a blown head gasket

check your compression

there is only two tiny thin steel rings inside a turbo you can call a "seal" and they are on the turbine shaft and the shaft spins in oil, saying a turbo can leak water would be like saying your engine block can leak water into a cylinder and if it did your block would be junk cause it would be CRACKED

smoke at idle and not when driving could be PCV valve issues, not related to your leaky hose/coolant issue, valve seal may have came off that will also cause your motor to smoke at idle and its smoking while running too just not enough for you to be able to tel

Edited by Indiana

a turbo does not

and can not

leak water

ever

or

its

internally cracked and

JUNK

there is no

"seal" in a turbo

that has

anything to

do with

WATER

DO NOT BUY A TURBO KIT

you got a leak, its a hose, its some hose back behind the motor, it may be a head gasket if the tail pipe smells like coolant, put a rag over it and let it absorb some exhaust then pull it off let it cool then smell of it, if its coolant you can smell the residue

the throttlebody may be leaking, it could build pressure and spray out under it and suck that into the cylinders and burn it, same goes for the intake manifold gasket

no hose in your car leads to anywhere it can get coolant into a cylinder but a badly blown head gasket can and a dar won't run well or idle for crap with a blown head gasket

check your compression

there is only two tiny thin steel rings inside a turbo you can call a "seal" and they are on the turbine shaft and the shaft spins in oil, saying a turbo can leak water would be like saying your engine block can leak water into a cylinder and if it did your block would be junk cause it would be CRACKED

smoke at idle and not when driving could be PCV valve issues, not related to your leaky hose/coolant issue, valve seal may have came off that will also cause your motor to smoke at idle and its smoking while running too just not enough for you to be able to tel

The leaking is either a hose off the radiator or a smaller hose on the turbo side of the motor cause that is where the water is concentrated. The smoke out the tail pipe, I think is a seperate issue. i think the turbo sseal is gone, but i won't know for sure until tonight when I pull the O2 sensor out and check for oil or run it and see where the oil is coming from. I plan to soak the lifters first and formost and then work on the smoke and leak next. Should know something by tomorrow morning.