uregent help needed

The Rabbit1

was jacking up the car to do a quick wheel bearing check and decided to use the engine crossmember.. jack slipped and caught the oil pan and pushed it up about 1/2 inch at most..

took out the jack, started her up and don't hear a knock, have good oil pressure still, any chance I might be pushing up on the suction strainer? really don't have the time to pull this pan today if it's not absolutely neccesary..

pics of light carnage....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/cpnquest%20pics/1329942173471.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/cpnquest%20pics/1329942162503.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 1/2" is enough to be hitting the strainer but I would be more worried that the clearance between the pan and the pickup

The Oil pick up tube with the screen on the end of it is the strainer :unsure: It's in the FSM. 1987 FSM Volume no.1 Section 9-18 Oil pan and Oil Screen.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

The Oil pick up tube with the screen on the end of it is the strainer :unsure: It's in the FSM. 1987 FSM Volume no.1 Section 9-18 Oil pan and Oil Screen.

Bill

I know that, I was saying that it's not close enough to touch it but it's close enough to reduce the amount of oil under it

YOU SCREWED UP. I always jack my car up from the Driver or Passenger side rails ;)

Bill

I usually do as well, but I had it on the ramps and figured I would grab both sides at once, but I was using my low pro jack and it doesn't have the fingers that would have prevented the slip.

I should have used my 4 ton jack, but too late now.

Bill

and that doesn't give me a clearance from strainer to oil pan bill, was wondering if anyone here would know it better or have a block laying around they could look at for 5mins.

and that doesn't give me a clearance from strainer to oil pan bill, was wondering if anyone here would know it better or have a block laying around they could look at for 5mins.

Rabbit, the oil pick up tube is pretty close to the bottom of the oil pan. If you fire it up and still hold normal oil pressure i'm sure it will be fine. P.S. You really need to check your oil pressure on full boost. That is when you'll have the least amount of oil in the pan.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Rabbit, the oil pick up tube is pretty close to the bottom of the oil pan. If you fire it up and still hold normal oil pressure i'm sure it will be fine. P.S. You really need to check your oil pressure on full boost. That is when you'll have the least amount of oil in the pan.

Bill

that's what I figured, but as finicky as these cars are I wanted some concurrence from another qualified source, I appreciate it.

See the ring where the pickup tube ends up. See the bottom of the pan. See how tall that ring is on the back side?

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM001837.JPG

Here's 1 quart, see how full that ring is

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM001841.JPG

You mashed over half of that area the ring surrounds and the ring may have not moved much but the bottom did and that means now there's less oil that can lay in that ring. The actual tube isn't centered in the pickup screen its more towards the back right where you mashed it the most. The separator tube is about middle of the ring and the drain is about 1/3 of the way into the ring from the rear. Your pressure gauge doesn't know when you suck air it doesn't react that fast. I'd not drive it other than in the driveway until I took the pan off and fixed it.

take the pan out, fix it, and have a really close look at that pickup tube. You might need a new one of those, or some massaging of that one.

I'd agree with that. Better safe than sorry. That doesn't mean that your pick up tube is not working. Again, if you are showing normal oil pressure on full boost, you are picking up and cycling oil. Air doesn't read on a Oil Pressure Gauge ;) Proof? Fire your car up without oil in it and read the gauge :D NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!! When you change the oil and filter, don't prime it and start the car, what is the reading on your oil pressure gauge ?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I wouldn't trust the stock gage, do you have an aftermarket one? The stocker is very slow to respond, it won't show you cavitation or air bubbles as already stated. The pan is pretty close to the pickup, you just cut that distance in half, or worse.

yes, i'm sure it shows good pressure, but what about in an extended corner or heavy bump, that little ring is there for a reason, and it cant quite do it's job now. it only takes a little problem in the pickup side of the oiling system to = bad things. better safe than sorry. Do you like gambling?

Will you get away with it? probably. but if not.... :(

I'd agree with that. Better safe than sorry. That doesn't mean that your pick up tube is not working. Again, if you are showing normal oil pressure on full boost, you are picking up and cycling oil. Air doesn't read on a Oil Pressure Gauge ;) Proof? Fire your car up without oil in it and read the gauge :D NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!! When you change the oil and filter, don't prime it and start the car, what is the reading on your oil pressure gauge ?

Bill

But if you're NOT showing pressure at full boost you just kissed your motor goodbye. Why take the chance. It doesn't take very long to drop the pan.

Don't follow what cal is telling you to do. DO NOT check for pressure at full boost with your oil pan like that. Doing that is like asking for your motor to blow.

The stock oil pressure gauge is crap. It could take 5 seconds for that to register 0 oil pressure. In that time the bearings have been trashed. Even if you have a mechanical gauge inside by the time you react to seeing 0 oil pressure at full boost it's too late.

If you have a mechanical gauge on the block you will see almost instant oil pressure even after changing the oil and not priming. Meanwhile the stock gauge is playing catch up.

Just like indiana said, the stock gauge will not tell you when you suck up a little air. It can't react fast enough. But air bubbles in the oil feed + full boost is a bad thing.

So what does boost have to do with oil pressure? will my oil pressure be higher if I rev my motor to 6k unloaded vs 6k at 35 psi?

But as for the oil pan, I'd put it up on some jack stands the degrease the bottom of the motor, unbolt the sway bar and pull the pan to fix it.

Edited by SidewaySStarion

So what does boost have to do with oil pressure?

The more RPMs you give a engine, the less the oil amount in the pan. Run your motor at 2,000 rpms, then nail it and look at your OPG. It will read higher. Why? because more oil is being cycled up from the oil pan at a higher rate.

Bill

But if you're NOT showing pressure at full boost you just kissed your motor goodbye.

Do you look at your OPG when your boosting to...whatever? I sure do.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Don't follow what cal is telling you to do.

Jeff, Now how did I know that you would make a comment like that ;) I must be doing something right, I never blew up a motor because of a lack of oil pressure. Jeff, Once you own the same Starquest as long as I have (23 years), and never blew up the engine because of a lack of oil pressure....Come back and comment. Until then, you don't have a clue ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Jeff, Now how did I know that you would make a comment like that ;) I must be doing something wrong, I blew up a motor because of a lack of oil pressure. Jeff, Once you own the same Starquest as long as I have (23 years), and never blew up the engine because of a lack of oil pressure....Come back and comment. Until then, you don't have a clue ;)

Bill

I love how you just pick and choose what you will respond to instead of responding to us pointing out how you are wrong. You never did answer mark's question. Though it was retorical. You were giving out bad advice in this thread and we called you on it.

Just because you owned one longer doesn't mean you know more about them then me. You don't. Older doesn't always mean wiser. Your advice in this thread could cause this guy to ruin his engine.

You're lucky it was the oil pan and not yourself that got crushed. Always use jack stands. You know you have to take the pan off now, don't avoid it. You can hammer it out probably. This time, use jack stands when working on the car.

BTW, Boost has nothing to do with oil pressure.

-Robert