Exhaust is frying my ingition wires

Killtodie

#3 wire is cracked and the leads are exposed. Car runs with that, no misfires.

heatshield in place and I raised them using a wire management rail but still they are blacked and one is now ruined.

I've seen some people use sleeves around their wires, what are they called and where can I get them. Or, what brand/type of ignition wires can I buy that will stand up to the heat?

Edited by Killtodie

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried either a turbo blanket and wrapping the downpipe? These alone will help keep the heat down underhood, that and using the stock heat shields. Personally I dont have the heat shielding anymore and have suffered a few crispy wires as you have, though buying 'lifetime' NGK wires means I just head to the parts store for a fresh set every year or so.

Like I said, I have the turbo shield on.

A turbo blanket is on my list of things to buy, but that is $120.

I didnt know about NGKs lifetime warranty, I have NGK wires I bought from a member here. I'll see into their warranty info.

You got a stock manifold? Where's your heat shield? Stick a piece of something in there like aluminum, cut it so there's a shield from the manifold to the wires and fasten it under some of the nuts.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM003035.JPG

You got a stock manifold? Where's your heat shield? Stick a piece of something in there like aluminum, cut it so there's a shield from the manifold to the wires and fasten it under some of the nuts.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM003035.JPG

Your throttle body... it seems it has been installed backwards. My mind... it is blown... blown like my old 16G...

Edited by 87Blue

Point was to just show you can make a shield out of anything and I didn't have another picture to post quickly. We aren't using that any longer the header was wrapped and then the shield was not longer necessary. Yes the TB is reversed but the intake was cut, flipped and welded back together to do that. You can get fire sleeve in different sizes and that works for plug wires. We did that too for turbo coolant lines.

buy better wires. I run 8.5mm msd wires with no heat shield and they have lasted just fine. Hereis how I have them run;

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/notstock88/a6a5f8f1.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/notstock88/842466de.jpg

heck, I will sell you my extra 4 wires (i bought a v8 set) - hit me up if you are interested.

^^ ill admit ive burnt wires as well, MSD 8.5's are the only wires that havent burnt yet

i did install the shield recently again after burning my msd 8mm wires. seems the 8.5mm is a different material

i forgot to mention i have been running this setup for nearly 2yrs now. and personally i have never had any other brand wires last more than 1yr on my car, without a heat shield, and running more than stock boost.

NOTE: i wrapped both downpipes i have used, which prolly helps with keeping underhood temp down on that side

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/63579_507183160678_195700050_30138911_5511080_n.jpg

These are from Carquest, just the stock replacement 7mm wires. They are really good!

Edited by Technology

buy better wires. I run 8.5mm msd wires with no heat shield and they have lasted just fine.

Hell, I have never had any problems with any Spark Plug Wires I have ever ran. From Stock to Accel to Mallory to Magnecor. Maybe you need separators that lift them above the Exhaust Manifold. They don't hold up well without them ;)

Bill

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/63579_507183160678_195700050_30138911_5511080_n.jpg

These are from Carquest, just the stock replacement 7mm wires. They are really good!

All that Horsepower you say your running.....And your using 7MM Spark Plug wires :lol: :lol:

Bill

Have you ever removed your turbo banjo bolts, which supply coolant to the turbo? It's not uncommon at all for these banjo bolts to get clogged with sediment and corrosion. I've seen it myself on cars I've pulled apart, they were almost 100% clogged. If these bolts are clogged, your turbo will likely run hotter, causing unreasonably high engine bay temperatures, cooking your wires.

As long as your running the turbo heat shield, and those little stock ignition wire keepers which bolt to the valve cover (and everyone throws away) you should not have any problem with ignition wires overheating and cracking. I am a big fan of the quality wire NGK puts out. The wires are manufactured with love, not just thrown together in a sweatshop like those Xact Fit wires you can get from AutoZone or whomever.

I do already.

IMG_9248.JPG

Are those steel or plastic? I see towards the rear the burnt plug wires. I also see close to them the steel runners for the Wire Separators ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

The aluminum part of the wire guide has nothing to do with the wires melting. The black channels are plastic, they do not conduct heat.

As far as the banjo bolts, I replaced one of them to adept the rubber hose and I had removed the other one when changing the hardlines. I did not see any obstruction or growth on them.

Are those steel or plastic? I see towards the rear the burnt plug wires. I also see close to them the steel runners for the Wire Separators http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Bill

not sure which pic is his but wheres the exh manifold gasket stick up ,, and i'l sec the check for an over hot turbo

The aluminum part of the wire guide has nothing to do with the wires melting.

Are you sure? Have you ever let it get hot at a Idle and used a Heat gauge to see the temp.at or on the wires compaired to the others Plug wires ???Even the Alum. Wire guides are black (burnt below the plug wires) I use the Exhaust Manifold Gasket that sticks up like Shelby mentioned:"MD102683". No fried Spark Plug wires for me ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Looks black back by #3 and 4 cylinder wires. more like the gasket is blown there just below the wires that hot exhaust gases will fry the wires.

Dad

Looks black back by #3 and 4 cylinder wires. more like the gasket is blown there just below the wires that hot exhaust gases will fry the wires.

Dad

Could be. Dad, do you think that it could also be a Blown Turbo to Downpipe gasket (MD041334) I see where you are most likely correct, Because it is not only blackening the wires there, but also the Wire Guide.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308