Smoking from rear barb on valve cover

BOOSTED88tsi

So up until thursday my car was 100% perfect. Went to go get lunch, waited for the car to warm up and then romped on it til about 5500 or so. Got lunch, went back to work no problems. I got off 2 hours later started it up to let it warm up and saw some smoke coming out from under the hood. Popped the hood and my rear Krankvent was poofing a little bit of oil smoke every couple of seconds. Started driving the car and it filled up the interior with the more rpm/boost, if any was applied, seems to go away on decel... Got home took off both krankvents and the pcv. Sprayed them out with carb cleaner and threw everything back together. Still smoked. Now i just got the stock seperator setup from a junkyard, but ive never seen a car smoke like this before and i don't belive the stock seperator is going to elimanate the problem. The car is not smoking from the exhaust, only the valve cover. I'm thinking a valve steam seal maybe? Haven't had time to pull the v/c and im going on a buisness trip tomorrow, just trying to get a list of stuff to check out when i get back. Car is a 88, with hardpipes, bigger ic, 12a, marnal head, stock bottom end.

Cliff notes

Car came with krankvents

Drove car hard, was fine

Started up after driving hard 2 hours later, smokes comes out of rear krankvent

Cleaned krankvent, no change

Installed stock pcv valve and hose, kept rear kranvent still smokes

No smoke from exhaust.

Blowby in the crankcase hasn't vented out yet from your hard pull and oil laying all over the inside of the block when its hot and the pistons are hot and there's oil in there ya it can smoke. With those check valves you have, no fresh air ever is ventilated through the crankcase so all that crap lingers around in there until its blown out or you suck it up through the PCV valve. Its concentrated crap. Its contaminates your oil. Some of that blowby is unburnt fuel.

Im going back to the stock setup, but that hard pull was 3 days and 100 miles ago. It just smokes all the time now except for on decel.When i get back im going to do and oil change as its due for one and put the seperator back on.

Could be a few things, all of them bad.

Cracked ring lands. Cracked head. Blown head gasket.

Do a compression test...

-Robert

Doubt its a blown HG. Scotty and I replaced it with a brand new Ajusa like a week before Vegas Nats. So it has like 4k miles on it maybe a tad more that Jasons driving the car now.

When we replaced the HG and all the Timing stuff we took a peek at the head and it had one tiny crack between the valves on cylinder 2 I think. Just barely noticeable. Nothing big enough to worry about. But its was pretty crappy cuz that NJV Marnal head has maybe 25k miles on it.

take the oil fill cap off and look at the bottom of it,,is there water or moisture on it

oil burning will go out the exh,and some may go out the valve cover vent,,but coolant leaking into the engine from the tbi base gasket or the timeing cover will not smoke out the tail pipe but only the valve cover vent

broken ring or burnt piston will deff smoke durring hard decell

whats the oil look like

take the oil fill cap off and look at the bottom of it,,is there water or moisture on it

oil burning will go out the exh,and some may go out the valve cover vent,,but coolant leaking into the engine from the tbi base gasket or the timeing cover will not smoke out the tail pipe but only the valve cover vent

broken ring or burnt piston will deff smoke durring hard decell

whats the oil look like

Just put the stock oil seperator on. Smoke is waaaaaaaaaaay worse. Doesnt smoke at idle. But under load there is small amounts of smoke and when you go from boost to decel it puts out a fat smoke screen. Going to get a friends compression tester in a bit.

No water or moisture on the oil cap

No water in oil

after i hooked up the sepeator theres an film of oil around where the turbo connects to the exhaust housing, that wasnt there before.

Did you take those check valves off and are using an OEM PCV valve? If its an aftermarket valve yes it will smoke. If the PCV valve was leaking crankcase pressure and the little valve after it was stuck, and they do that's why you have to clean them, the the pressure can effect the turbo drain and that means oil passes around the turbo seals and it smokes. Is there a chance a valve seal came off? If it did it will smoke.

did you actualy test the pcv before installing it,, and most guys install'd an orfice in the oreg pcv hose,, you need to remove that

The pcv valve came off of my motor it was in perfect condition, cleaned and test before we threw it in. It isn't coolant, and it gets worse as he gets in boost. I have not seen the car since he put the oil sep setup on.