My 2nd Conquest, 1st build thread: White 87, 5 speed with sunroof!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

Hello everyone, now that my Red 87 has been finished for a while, Ive been keeping my eye out for another conquest, just this week I finally found a decent deal that was close enough for me, there aren't very many conquest projects in San Diego, suprisingly 90% of them that are for sale around here are running, and I wanted something I didn't have to spend over 1k on. Plus one of the main reasons I am doing this is to LEARN, I have done just about everything on my red car, except pull the engine and do any kind of block work, or tearing down/rebuilding. I am very excited to dive into this car and get to work, anyways, onto the beauty....

It is an original white 1987 conquest, 5 speed with maroon leather and a sunroof. 100% complete car too! I found a liking for the maroon, its just so different... and I always wanted a sunroof car, I think they look molehills, and its just cool to have one in such a old car. The car has 175k on chassis, we don't know about motor, but head gasket blew 4 years ago anyways, supposedly because a coolant line blew and she overheated. The guy never drained any fluids( seriously wt.... ???) .... so there is most likely water all in the block/ pistons, it will all be rusted. I plan to tear some of it down and pull the head to take a look, maybe its salvageable, probably not. I have spare long block that I am planning on just swapping in at that point though.

The body of the car is pretty clean, sunroof needs a new gasket around the actual glass, it has an 88 one piece Air dam !! but its cracked badly on both sides, I will probably fiberglass that just like I did on my red car, worked great just don't hit it hard and it won't crack. California car most its life there is no rust at all basically. Paint is pretty s***, plan on painting it after I get her running. During the 4 years it was sitting, the seller says a truck hit it, hence the red fender, no major frame damage and everything that was slightly bent has been fixed, all the suspension looks square and the rims are in pretty good shape.

The maroon leather is a 7/10, which I am happy with for now, it has some rips but the main parts of the rear seats are in good shape and the dash is also in good shape, the only bad part really is the front seats, which are easily replaced. Might even just throw in some aftermarket seats, something to think about later.

Supposedly back when he drove it, AC blew cold, Stereo still worked great, pop ups were good, all interior lights working, driver seat belt stopped going, will need to fix or get manual belts on the doors. Hoping most of the other electricals will be good, if not, Im not disappointed, whatever needs to be fixed will be, all part of the fun, and a good learning process.

The car already has an 89 ecu upgrade, lightened flywheel, I have an HKS Catback im going to run, and thinking of gutting the cats, or getting a downpipe for it. I will forsure be going through the fuel system as well,  I know how important that is for these cars. I will be seeing the car for the first time and picking it up this sunday, then I can add a lot more to this thread, hopefully get a list going on here of everything I need to do to and want to do, and you guys can give input on that too,  will upload some more pictures of her once I wash it too!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, ANY input/ tips are appreciated, as I have only done all my work on a running car, new to the actual engine work/ tearing- rebuilding/ and getting running side of things. But super excited ! Check out the photos below!

White 87 First Day bought

white 87

23633997 10213857791312686 624647370 O

23660524 10213857963436989 624365292 O

23660262 10213857791072680 1994199084 O

23627415 1855903191104054 419362385 O

Edited by joshtrup, 17 November 2017 - 04:58 AM.

Rory Trup's Son

1) 1987 Chrysler Conquest Red (Runs)   2) 1987 Chrysler Conquest White (Runs)   3)1969 Ford Mustang 302ci Black Jade (Runs)

1)  Posted Image 2)  Posted Image    3)  Posted Image

#2 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

I know you'll embrace the save and learn even more than you already have, Josh!
Posted Image

#3 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Parker, IM SURE you''ll be involved in this cars life somehow just like the red one! lol, but first we do the head gasket on your starion.
Rory Trup's Son

1) 1987 Chrysler Conquest Red (Runs)   2) 1987 Chrysler Conquest White (Runs)   3)1969 Ford Mustang 302ci Black Jade (Runs)

#4 ColdScrip

ColdScrip

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

You may already know but to be clear the rubber on the sunroof is to keep dirt out. There is separate one that keeps water out. I've seen people just remove the top one. IIRC we have had success with some aftermarket weather stripping that fit snug and looked just as good.
Follow my '87 restore here.

#5 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yes one of the guys on the facebook club told me to just get rid of the top one, as long as the bottom seal is good It should be fine for rain etc, Thanks for the heads up though! thats what I plan on doing.
Rory Trup's Son

#6 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:17 AM

For some reason I cant edit the post, anyways, UPDATE ! The car has 150k , not 175k, he looked at it today and realized what he had told me was wrong, I was stoked when I heard this! Lol..
Rory Trup's Son

#7 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

UPDATE :
Some pics of the car moved to my place:

Posted Image ,

Posted Image

https://imgur.com/CHI46hy , https://imgur.com/JZaJJG3 , ,

Washed it and cleaned up the interior too: https://imgur.com/mTJwkwJ , https://imgur.com/RElJQi3

Started tearing it apart to take a look inside the motor, 4-5 years of sitting fluids after a blown headgasket isn't pretty..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Found a good deal on a lot of parts that will be used for this car, and since I am going to be home for summer in about a month, I need to kick it into gear for this car. AHEAD OF TIME.

G54B : https://imgur.com/f1KHfQj ,

G54B finished and repainted to black/silver: Posted Image

Motors specs:
Posted Image

Posted Image

12a & 14g Turbo: https://imgur.com/cyBjJ5N
Stage 3 Clutch kit (probably not using this): https://imgur.com/q0QKRiY
Lightened & balanced 240mm flywheel: https://imgur.com/sqEq37t
Full 2.5" exhuast with downpipe, glasspack, and highflow cat: https://imgur.com/DwLud6i
Two rear 8s: https://imgur.com/mfrgPd1 , https://imgur.com/zQtMqys
Aluminum Griffin Radiator (was in car fire, tested and still good): https://imgur.com/Fx1Ubgc
All that was listed above this point I got for 1600$. Deal or no deal ???

Other stuff I recently picked up:
1983 Fiberglass Repro hood w/ unfinished cutouts:
Posted Image
https://imgur.com/5Obo3ds

BoostedMini's Mazda TPS kit : https://imgur.com/vFPQIxz

I've also been starting to order all of the hoses and other parts i'll need to get an old car like this running again, it sat for about 4-5 years. So there's going to be a good amount of stuff. I'm using Rockauto for everything as I've found they have the cheapest prices, and I respect that  they're a member here.

I went through their entire section for conquest parts and heres a list of what I have in mind to order so far, to get this car from sitting for 5 years into becoming my daily driver, let me know if i'm forgetting anything important, i'm sure I am, and this list is too short, LOL.

All heater hoses
Both radiator hoses
Water pump & alternator belt
AC belt
Power steering belt
Battery
Neg. post to ground cable
Pos. post cable
Right and left motor mounts
Turbo mounting gaskets
Intake mani gasket
TBI gasket rebuild kit
02 sensor
Distributor Rotor
Ignition coil (any recommendations on this?)
Thermostat (what temp should I go with?) 170 degrees?
Fuel filters (any recommendations on these?)
Front and rear wiper blades

and obviously go through the suspension and brake system first to actually see what needs to be replaced.

what else??

Edited by joshtrup, 15 April 2018 - 04:35 AM.

Rory Trup's Son

#8 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

Go with a 165 or 160 degree that's whatwhat I use. Use stock fuel filter and remove the screen before fuel pump and splice in an inline generic fuel filter. Wix #31133 or 33133 works good. Can't remember which number buy one of those. Also get a accel coil or just oem

#9 G54BT

G54BT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Anything relating to Mitsubishi, RALLIART, The Starion, The Lancer Evolution, & Motor Sports, and Japan. Also own a 2006 Lancer Evo IX-MR, highly modded. Both cars since new.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for saving her Josh, and NOT PARTING HER OUT! Best of luck, and I hope all goes WELL! I look forward to updates...
*1989 Starion ESI-R - (bought new) Factory Sports Handling Package, loaded with HKS, Top End front strut bar, intercooler & radiator, Custom adjustable rear strut bar, Suspension Tech. f&r sway bars, turbo upgrade, HKS down pipe to a GREDDY exhaust, GREDDY Japan used my car as a tester, powder coated engine parts,  short throw shifter, fog light 'on' mod., rare 1988-'89 factory "aero wheel covers", brake system upgraded, top hatchback wing/visor, front header panel cut outs, poly bushings, Nissan Z turbo hood scoop, D2 coil overs, modded air mass, Eclipse air box, etc.
*2006 Lancer Evolution IX-MR  - (bought new) heavily modified & tuned, Cusco 6-point roll cage, tons of JDM parts, suspension & chassis modified, etc.

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Love 83 hoods makes our cars look that much better!

#11 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:39 AM

Alright after a little more digging I've decided more of exactly what I want to do with my White 87 TSI, aka "Bonemarrow".
It's going to cost a "bit" more $$ but I think it will be worth it. After I get everything replaced and everything back together in the car, I want to get it running stock for a couple weeks or so make sure everything is solid. Once I feel safe and confident in the capability of my car and its build I want to start reaching for some power and adding the following upgrades.

Motor specs recap:

- .40 over Forged JE piston set
- Hastings piston rings
- NJV head
- ARP head stud kit
- Ajusa metal head gasket
- Balance shaft eliminator kit & timing kit combo
- TEP ground camshaft (270 degree duration I think)
- Adjustable cam gear
- New oil pump
- New water pump
- and more

After its running good stock, My Goal is 250-300 HP on TBI.

The plan to make that happen:
- MSD Blaster 2 coil
- NGK BUR7EA-11 (7031) spark plugs
- Spitfire plug wires
- 3" GM Maf
- 1g Maf Translator
- 3" K&N air filter
- APSX Wideband & Boost Gauge
- Intercooler and 2.25" piping
- Aluminum Griffin Radiator
- Ported 14g turbo at 15psi
- Ported & stress relieved stock exhaust manifold
- 2.5" downpipe & full exhaust (
- Braided turbo oil & coolant lines (if in the budget)
- Walbro 255LHP GSL392 fuel pump
- Fuel pressure regulator
- Fuel pressure Gauge
- Lightened & balanced 240mm flywheel

After I get all of these pieces in place, I will upgrade yet again. Hoping for a tdo6sl2 18g, at 20psi (if I can find one), and get an SAFC2 for better tuning points.

What turbo do you recommend?? What you guys got for me ??
Also, If you have any of the other stuff I'm looking for, let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far. Any input is appreciated.

Edited by joshtrup, 25 April 2018 - 02:03 AM.

Rory Trup's Son

#12 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Looks great, keep up the good work
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 BMW 740iL - for the wife and children
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
1998 BMW 528i manual  daily driver

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#13 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:56 AM

Thanks, Im now coming up with a list of everything that I physically need to do. First is taking a step back and forgetting all of the upgrades I want to do. I need to get it running first, which will be basically all stock. I'll post what I have so far on here soon and let you guys add to it.

Edited by joshtrup, 02 May 2018 - 02:13 AM.

Rory Trup's Son

#14 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Been a while since ive been on here, but Ive completed the build to a point where its running. I drove it from San diego to Monterey bay and dailyd it up here at University all year. It has done very well and the rebuilt motor now has about 3000 miles on it. It has a 14g, TEP hardpipe, and cusco strut tower brace, other than that its basically stock. For suspension I am running legion elite motorsports coilovers. Ill get some photos up soon. Havent used imgur in a while.
Rory Trup's Son

#15 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Always good to hear when someone builds one and daily drives it.  

Forget upgrades....if its running well, just focus on appearance and enjoy driving it.  Just the fact that it's on the road makes it pretty rare :)

I am done upgrading for speed.  At this point, I would love to have mine dependable enough to daily.

#16 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

Ill start with the work done to the suspension. This took some time.
This is what we started with:
Posted Image

Out with the old:
Posted Image

Cut the spindles and shipped off to have them welded to the new suspension:
Posted Image

Unpacking the Coilovers after being welded:
Posted Image

powerwashed and scrubbed the wheel wells multiple times over:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then primed and painted in white before installing the coilovers, new rotors all the way around, all new break lines and pads, ball joints, tie rod ends,etc. Adjusted to about 3in. below stock ride height. Heres the result:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by joshtrup, 01 May 2019 - 09:06 PM.

Rory Trup's Son

#17 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Very nice! People always ask why in the hell do l own 3 of these? Lol  simple answer is  Because l couldn't fit 5 in my garage!

Edited by croquest87, 01 May 2019 - 09:15 PM.

#18 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

Tearing the rest of it down:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pulling the block:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cleaning out the engine bay, some help from Pcristquester, couldn't thank him enough for all of his help on this car.

Posted Image

Labeling and bagging to prepare for scrub and power wash of the engine bay:
Posted Image

Posted Image

After powerwash:
Posted Image

Old exhaust came out in pieces, so much rust:
Posted Image

Late nights working on the reinstall of the walbro255 fuel pump and fuel tank which I got from Lazorack himself, came out of his LS car! had to repaint that as well:
Posted Image

extras:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by joshtrup, 01 May 2019 - 09:25 PM.

Rory Trup's Son

#19 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:38 PM

Cleaned up the air filter box, paint wasn't bad but resprayed anyways:
Posted Image

Rebuilding and painting the TBI:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Painted same silver as the motor, and rebuilt injectors from Rock Auto, Pcristquester was also the hookup on these!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pulled and powerwashed the tranny, all new fluid in there later as well:
Posted Image

Fully forged rebuilt motor going in:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Close up on the small patch job I did on the engine bay paint, this was due to the brake master cylinder leaking (which I later replaced), brake fluid eats paint real fast:
Posted Image

Now its just throwing everything back together and paint what parts I had left over:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Went with blue spark plug wires and blue silicone vacuum lines, I highly recommend these over rubber:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Air filter back in, battery, etc:
Posted Image

Skip ahead to pics from this weekend, quick bath for the lady:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Later that day:
Posted Image

Very happy with how this car turned out, will get an updated photo of the engine bay soon. Like I said it has hardpipes now, HKS bov, that radiator went bad so replaced with CX racing radiator, also has mazda TPS kit, Cusco Strut tower brace,  and some other changes.

Edited by joshtrup, 01 May 2019 - 09:52 PM.

Rory Trup's Son

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users