rx-7 tranny swap

kadein13

• 6 months later...

If you have not done this yet then this may help as I have an RX7 series 5 tranny in my JB flatty useing the bell as per the zerog pics.

1 the imput shaft is the same size and when mounted to the bell measure winthin a wisker of the same distance from the engine side of the bell.

2 the clutch spline & spiggot bearing are the same size

3 the speedo cable fits straight in as well as the reversing switch

4 the extension housing has to be shortened so the rearmost bolts screw into the front holes

5 the trans will require a custom xmember

6 the trans will be at app 15 deg angle so the stick will lean towards the driver which is great for LHD But in a RHD will need to be bent upright otherwise it is too far away.

7 the drive shaft will need to be shortened by app 100mm/4 inches and have a new yoke fitted at the front

8 I lift the side of the car up to get the trans app upright and remove both flller plugs and fill thru the top hole till oil runs out of the lower one then you will have the correct volume of oil in the 7 tranny

TIP my 7 trans was very notchy and tried several oils and 1 additive and no change and was about to tear it out for a rebuild and changed to Redline LW synthetic oil ( called Smurf Blood over here LOL) and the shift feel improved almost straight away and continued to improve the more I drove .

Was so impressed by the trans oil that I have changed the oil in my TC stroker to Redline as well and the lsd will be getting Redline soon.

Edited by AUSSIEOLDIE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All very good information guys.

I just got my hands on a B2600 bellhouseing today.

Not to hijack, but cant the bellhouseing fit a RX8 transmission too ?

Edited by Zone

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This tranny it seems, is no stronger than our stocker.

Generally RX-7 guys are blowing these up at 350 whp in a lighter car with much LESS torque.

This is when drag racing though.

They are fine to road race with.

"These transmissions are bulletproof when run at 220ft-lb. When you increase torque to 300, 400ft-lb, and they break then "glass" is one way to look at it."

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/gearbox-strength-972084/page2/

I think they know better than anyone here...

Edited by lionbull