What Is The Best Ink Jet Printer For The Money?

Starfighterpilot

My old Canon S300 ink jet printer (bought in 2003) has apparantly finally kicked the bucket. It will not come out of the park position of the ink jet cartridge carriage. :(

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to repair this?

If not, what is the most economical ink jet printer that gives a good image that also has reasonably priced ink jet cartridges?

BTW - I'm running a PC with Windows XP SP 2.

Thanks

KEN

Kodak has the cheapest cartridges and as far as I know their printers are pretty good bang for the buck.

I have a Brother All-in-One printer which I'm really impressed with but the price of OEM brand cartridges is rather expensive.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Haha, I used to slang these things.

What are you mostly printing?? Photos, or documents??

As far as fixing your old printer, does it try to move, do you hear sounds?? Or is it just non-responsive??

-Robert

Haha, I used to slang these things.

What are you mostly printing?? Photos, or documents??

As far as fixing your old printer, does it try to move, do you hear sounds?? Or is it just non-responsive??

-Robert

I'd say 45/65 - colored photos/text documents.

When I start it up the green power lite comes on and the ink jet carriage tries to move from it's parked position - jerks once trying to move to the left then it stops, I hear a "snap" sound and then I get 2 short orange light blinks followed by a longer blink green light indicating a problem.

I down loaded the owners manual and it does not say jack about how to fix this problem - other than I should take it into an Authorized Canon repair place.

Money is REALLY tight right now so I'd like to fix it if I can.

Colingibb - Thanks for the Kodak suggestion - got a model #?

Thanks for the replies - anyone else?

KEN

Ken, I have an old Canon BJC3010 that was given to me a few weeks ago. Works just fine, it is out of yellow ink though. I just ran it through all of it's tests. You can have it for free if you want it, just pay shipping.

-Robert

Check these 2 Kodak printers Ken.

Cheapest place I've seen them is Walmart.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kodak+-+ESP+3250+All-in-One+Printer/9449368.p?id=1218106370574&skuId=9449368

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kodak+-+ESP+5250+Wireless+All-in-One+Printer/9449304.p?id=1218106369899&skuId=9449304

• 2 months later...

INK thats the problem with most of them and the truth is those cheap in carts are just smaller then the so call'd expensive ones

as far as repair, every time i have conact'd the manuf of one, their charg to check it out was more then the cost of a new one

check to make sure there is no paper caught up inside the printer causeing it to jam , i've also remove'd all sorts of objects from ours in the l-room :) kids hide things in all sorts of places

• 5 months later...
Go Laser!!! much cheaper if you don't need color,,Newegg had 1 on sale the other day for $89 !! a toner cart. will set you back more to buy,,but they willl print like 2600 pages!!(about $30) where most ink cart. print 450 pages and cost $40 Edited by holeysocks

Earlier in the summer I bought a Canon MP250 from Walmart for about $40, with startup ink cartridges. I don't use it that much, and I haven't printed any pics, but I'm still on the originals. It's also got a copier on it that I use more than anything. So far it's been prett good to me.

I did get in the habit a long time ago of refilling my own inks. You can usually do it a few times before the heads shoot craps. But if you plan a little ahead you can always get new ones on ebay for less than half the cost of the store.