278 replies to this topic

#261 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

And here are the fixed turbo feed/drain lines.   I just had to use a 1" shorter pipe nipple on the drain and a little longer soft line.   For the feed, I had to use a 90 degree fitting due to hood clearance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I started laying out the intercooler piping.  For the intercooler to TB side, I had a chrome plated KDM MPI pipe that I purchased years back.  The other side I mocked up using cardboard cutouts.   So far, I have both holes cut into the core support.   Tubing and couplers are on order...more to come on this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#262 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

Also have the oil cooler installed.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#263 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

It must have killed you to cut holes in the radiator support.  Are you planning to run A/C?  Running the IC through the drivers side I would think will interfere with the compressor.  Maybe not if the battery is relocated to the rear?  Again, beautiful car, great work.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#264 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Yes, it sucked cutting those holes.  I had the entire car and engine covered in plastic, masked well, etc. but there were still metal slivers everywhere!  I used on of those Christmas tree bits on my die grinder.  It cut it like butter.    I spent more time vacuuming and blowing off the debris than I did cutting the holes.  But they came out nice, no marring of the paint, etc.  I touched up the exposed metal and added that trim just to prevent scratching the polished tubing.  

No A/C.  I was hoping to keep the battery in the EC but I'm not sure if I will be able to.  The tube covers a good portion of the battery tray.  

I don't have any pics of the tube mocked up yet but I had it in there last night.  It clears all of the important things but definitely will require a very small battery.  My BOV contacts the ignition coil, but that appears to be an easy fix.  

I'm almost to a  holding pattern until I buy more parts.   I still have the shifter assembly to work on and a couple odds and ends.

#265 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,249 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

I imagine youll be putting heat wrap on the pretty feed line?
10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#266 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Wow that exhaust and downpipe set up looks amazing. Great job and excellent build.

#267 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,433 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

So nice.
Your so close to getting it running!!!

Battery options.

http://www.streettun...ttery_page1.htm

https://www.braillebattery.com

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#268 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 07 April 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

I imagine youll be putting heat wrap on the pretty feed line?

Possibly.  I may end up switching the line around and having the 90 deg bend on the opposite end.  Have also been debating a turbo blanket.  I ceramic coated the turbine housing but because the compressor is so close to the hood, I'm not sure I can use the factory hood heat shield.  Was considering the blanket for added insurance that I don't cook the hood..and would help for this line, the p/s reservoir and anything else that is close by.  

View Postimportwarrior, on 09 April 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

So nice.
Your so close to getting it running!!!

Battery options.

http://www.streettun...ttery_page1.htm

https://www.braillebattery.com

Thanks!  I knew of braille but not of the other company.  I have some research to do.  I'm NOT looking forward to the electrical.  Never was my strong point.  

Well I finally have the tubing, silicone couplers, and t-bolt clamps on order.  I didn't order the air filter and tube yet, although I know what I want.  Just have to space out the funds a bit.  

Didn't work on it at all over the weekend thanks to spring yardwork, tractor maintenance, etc.

#269 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

More plugging away....   Got the intercooler piping cut and fit.  Well all except for the air intake tube and filter.  

I think I have some sort of obsession with blue painters tape but it helps prevent marring the surface of the tubes when experimenting like this.

Drivers side was a single chrome plated steel 2.25" MPI pipe that I purchased from kdm years ago.  Like everything I bought from kdm, it required modification.  Had to cut and shorten it about 2".  I thought about welding the joint but I'll just use a coupler for ease of maintenance plus I don't have to worry about peeling the chrome plate.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fuzzy pic, but this shows the available room for the battery with the bov and coil mocked up.  That black plastic thing is just an led flashlight.  Don't have the fusible link box in there yet but there should be plenty of room for a small battery, especially a braille battery.

Posted Image

Checking clearance with the header panel...man is it close!  Not sure how I'll mount my slop tank yet.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So for the passengers side I used polished aluminum 2.25" tubing purchased from ebay.  Just needed a 45 deg and 90 deg bend.  They were both originally 2' tubes with rolled ends.  The 45 deg tube is unmodified.  The 90 deg one required cutting the legs down to size.  I used cardboard cutouts of the tube profile to mock these up (you can see one of them on the top of the fender in the pics).   The turbo is clocked to give the most clearance I could to the hood and for the silicone 2" to 2.25" reducer elbow.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Straight on view:

Posted Image

I think they came out pretty good.  I was hoping to keep the pipe length down a little more on the passengers side but it isn't too bad.   Now to roll some beads on the tubes that I cut.  I have to do both sides of the aluminum 90 deg and 2 rolls for the steel MPI tube that I had to shorten.   I'm not sure if I'll make my own bead roller tool or call around to see if a local shop has this capability.  Also have to order one more straight 2.25" coupler due to the unexpected modification of the MPI pipe.  Plus the straight couplers I bought came with t-bolt clamps but they are horrible.  I'll be buying some better ones.  

Kevin

[img]

#270 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Looks great
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=

#271 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Interests:My kids, music, and cars, not always in that order.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wow. Looks awesome. Keep up the great work.
1988 Conquests  

His:  Durban maroon with 351w  
        Sophia white MS2 full sequential with BW S257sxe in the middle of a full tear down

Hers: Red restored and on the road, mostly stock

#272 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Man, I hope someday on the not too distant future to get my pipes set up like that. Need to get me an IC for starters.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#273 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,433 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

you do have a bead on the ends of all those pipes? you did cut one 2 inches shorter.
if not the couplers might slip off with out them. Any good quality import shop could do this for you.
call around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#274 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

Yeah I have to get beads rolled in four places. Unfortunately 2 of those are on the carbon steel tubes

#275 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Use the old trick of the exhaust clamp welded to a pair of vice grips for the bead.
Canterbury, CT

#276 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,249 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

I always just weld some inch long beads in 4 places when I need beads.

Or I just go to the french quarter and show off my tiddles....
10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#277 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

View Postimportwarrior, on 21 April 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Any good quality import shop could do this for you.
call around.

I'm searching for a 'local' import shop.  Unfortunately I live in the sticks and the word 'import' goes hand in hand with the devil, lol.   I'm going to stop in at a speed shop at lunch to see if they have a tubing bead roller.  All of the speed shops around here are more geared towards dirt racers and the like.  Not much turbo support.

View Postmbruneaux, on 21 April 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Use the old trick of the exhaust clamp welded to a pair of vice grips for the bead.

I may have to go that route.  I'd prefer to rig up some sort of a roller rather than a clamp.  I have some thicker all-thread, couplers, some channel iron, etc.  I was looking at a local flea market this weekend to see if they had some dies or something to use as rollers - no luck so far.   I love making tools but don't really want to spend the time on it.  The last tool I made was supposed to be a 20 minute project and ended up taking 4 hours (that jack attachment to install the transmission).  I could see this one taking 8+ hours with experimentation.  

On a different note, I went to Spring at Carlisle this weekend.  Picked up a Lokar throttle cable and mount, some Accel ignition cables, and a few other minor things.   I already have the throttle cable installed.  It came out pretty good!    Also made a bracket to relocate my power steering reservoir that was in the way of the turbo outlet.   Pics to follow.

#278 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Pics of the throttle cable.  Unfortunately I have a tb that doesn't have a cam style linkage.  I'm hoping the angles don't result in a premature cable failure but as of now, it operates very smoothly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Power steering reservoir relocation bracket:

Nothing spectacular here.  I contemplated relocating this thing to several different areas but decided to make it simple and just lower it ~3 inches to clear the turbo outlet.  This is nothing more than a 2" chunk of aluminum channel that I had laying around with one leg cut shorter and a few tapped/thru holes.  

Posted Image

Glad that those are checked off my list besides blasting/painting the new brackets.

#279 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Looks incredible!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users