• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:my 1983 mini
    my 1993 vr6 corrado
    my 1988 Mitsubishi starion
  • Model:Starion

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

driving my 88 starion around on Saturday,all of a sudden clutch pedal was going to the floor,but if I pumped the pedal up it would build pressure,ordered a slave cylinder put it in bleed clutch ,got half a pedal so I ordered a clutch master replaced that.. bleed clutch still only half a pedal....is there a procedure for bleading the clutch on these cars? I ever used a air powered bleeder and still nothing....any help would be appreciated...thank you

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:07 AM

A clutch system isnt like a brake system where using an air bleeder will work just by pulling vacuum on the bleeder valve. An air bleeder will still work however you need to the keep the pedal depressed to open the port inside the master.

Grab a buddy and hook your bleeder to the slave. Then pull a vacuum on it without opening the valve. Have them pump the pedal a few times then hold. Crack open the bleeder and get the air out. Repeat a few times till you dont see air.

When using an air bleeder tool dont constantly hold the trigger down and pull vacuum on it. You want to create a vacuum within the line and the tool then open the valve where the pressure difference will pull the fluid into the tool. It's ok to tap the trigger once or twice to keep the vacuum strong.

#3 mars88star

mars88star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
    my 1993 vr6 corrado

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

nice....I will try that....thank you

#4 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,021 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

Yep I had to get a buddy underneath the car to crack open the bleeder valve while I was pumping the clutch pedal. Just make sure the reservoir doesn't go dry while your bleeding it and you should be good to go.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#5 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

another thing is you may have to manually pull the clutch pedal all the way back up when bleeding.

additionally how many miles are on your clutch?

#6 mars88star

mars88star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
    my 1993 vr6 corrado

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:20 AM

found the problem.....turns out the clutch pedal housing was so worn out that the pin that attaches the rod to the pedal had no bushing at all so it was metal on metal which made the hole a lot bigger than the pin that holds it in place causing pedal to not spring back properly... ....does anyone know what came on there from the factory? I found a few clutch push rod bushings online but not sure if they will work on these cars

#7 mars88star

mars88star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
    my 1993 vr6 corrado

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:37 AM

I found someone here on the forums that makes a repair kit....but his requires you to drill the pedal and install a bushing with new pin....but im trying to avoid drilling the pedal if possible...thank you

#8 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

I did the pivot mod that you're referring to and it made a big difference. It is worth it.

#9 mars88star

mars88star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
    my 1993 vr6 corrado

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

I got lucky.....found a conquest at a local junk yard and got the pedal off that car.....back on the road and cruising again....cant wait to see whats next

#10 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,021 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Man you did get lucky. These cars are long gone from the junkyards around these parts.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#11 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

I still see them in yards around the country. I try to hit them if I get my job done early and have one afternoon to check around.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users