Jump to content



Jake's '87 Conquest Build Thread


  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Interests:Broken cars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:00 AM

View PostTexasQuest, on 08 December 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

If you have the money I'd highly suggest getting a new non-jet valve head from here: http://enginemachine...linderheads.php

Trying to do this as cheap as I can, but if I do need a new head I'd definitely source it from him.


Worked on it today and got both manifolds off the motor. Exhaust manifold has a crack in it as well, gonna need to have that welded. I'll go into more detail with pics once I get it torn down all the way.





#82 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Interests:Broken cars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

Lots of pics incoming. You've been warned.

TL;DR - Head is off. Noticed a few other issues as well.

Started off by cleaning up the area around the car and optimizing everything so I can easily find tools and organize parts. Pain in the tail now but will probably save my life later.
Before I start -
Posted Image

Removed air intake, intercooler piping and stuff generally in the way.
Posted Image

Figured while I was here it'd be the perfect opportunity to re-tape and clean up this wiring mess. This is just the MAF harness but the intake manifold has a completely butchered harness that I will tend to later.
Yes the actual clip is broken but it still connects, I'll get another if I can source one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Exhaust manifold is off. Wasn't too hard, some of the nuts were hard to get to and most of them removed the stud from the head but it came off relatively easily.
Posted Image

Surprise surprise, it's cracked. Doesn't seem bad (never noticed a leak), but I'll have it welded anyway and get this thing cleaned up. Maybe a coat of some high-temp paint.
Posted Image

Next on to the intake manifold. This thing is took complex for it's own good. Rip that crap off.
Posted Image

And it's off. It's complex but still pretty straightforward to remove. Just made sure to label things. I did have to contort my body in unhealthy ways to get some of those nuts off though.
Posted Image

After that, I called it a night on Saturday. Got back into it today (Sunday).


Fresh start Sunday, got the valve cover off. Only about a gallon of dried RTV was used to seal it.
Posted Image

Cam off.
Posted Image

The cam has seen better days. Might try and source a new one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Head off. Block and cylinders look good to my inexperienced eye. Gave everything a scrape and wipe down with brake cleaner to remove any gasket material and excess gunk. Head gasket looked fine but I'll be getting a gasket kit anyway.
Posted ImagePosted Image

A little carbon-y but overall looks good. No cracks that I could find. Bonus knee shot. Please no requests for nudes.
Posted Image

Cart-o-parts
Posted Image


I'd consider it a success for now, especially since this is by far the most in-depth engine work I've ever done. Just need to contact a machine shop to have the head measured and machined.
While I've got it torn apart I'll clean some stuff up. Going to re-do some wiring and paint some parts. I might over-do it. I have a tendency to do that.

Will update soon. ;)

#83 croquest87

croquest87

    Established Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:willoughby
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

Cool man  keep up w good work.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users