Newbie - Philadelphia Area

MattParanoia

Hello there, I'm Matt and I recently fell in love with the legendary Starquests that we all admire. Although I do not yet own one, I am looking for one in my area. So if you have any leads on one please let me know. =)

I may have found a great lead.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2575086713.html

If anybody has any input about this Conquest please post, or message me.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but it seems like the only one available. I plan on going to check it out this upcoming week, and if its any kind of decent I am going to get it, work on it during the winter, and register and insure it as a classic starting next year (if its ready, which it should be).

I only have a small amount of spare cash to spend and that Quest fits in and leaves me with some extra to work with.

Welcome to the site!!

It looks like a good starter project, it runs so you some idea of what works and what doesn't. The "will not rev" problem could be as simple as an injector clip, or as severe as a bad rod/crank bearing. However, 158k miles means you will have to go through all of the systems of the car as they likely have been neglected severely. Fuel system, electrical system, and cooling system are usually mandatory areas to R&R when you buy a SQ.

It will also likely need a complete engine rebuild sooner than later (most SQ's are abused and neglected, but a well cared for one can go 3000+), which is not difficult at all if you can turn a wrench and follow instructions carefully. Usual cost is $500-$1000 in parts depending on what needs replaced. So make sure the body is in good condition and a good candidate for a fresh engine ready to go another 158k. Look for common rust areas at the lower corners of the fenders and quarter panels, as well as underneath the car at the frame rails.

Check it out and give us the report on it when you can.

-Robert

So is there any way that I will be able to tell what it is today when I go to look at it?

Such as if its something severe vs something simple. If I don't have to get it towed that would be amazing, but not a real concern.

For example "The "will not rev" problem could be as simple as an injector clip, or as severe as a bad rod/crank bearing." anyway to tell between the 2 "in the field" (Noises to listen for, things to look for etc).

Thanks, hopefully I come home today with another car =D

So I went to look at the Conquest today. It is in surprisingly amazing condition exterior, Interior is immaculate, it is intercooled. Has a brand new high flow fuel pump, and new injectors. The car will rev to 2-3k and then its like the "choke" is on a lawn mower, its like its not getting enough gas to do anything more than idle. Sounds great mechanically, main cat removed, no muffler, but pre-cat is still there. Im thinking it might be the TPS or MAF not telling the computer to send fuel, but honestly don't know. It will idle forever with no problems though.

I am heading back over there in the morning and buying the car, just need to wait for someone with a car dolly to be free.

P.S. forgot to take pictures, but its really in good condition very little rust in the wells, none on the frame. Guys "giving" it to me for $1200 minus title transfer cost.

Lol, I knew I forgot something. I did notice that the temp sensor wasn't plugged in, didn't think much of it though.

Edit: I'll have to check the injector clips tomorrow, if its that simple then I can just have someone drive me there one day.

Edited by MattParanoia

It's likely the injector clip closer to the passenger side of the car, the "secondary", if they were stock injectors it would be blue/green, while the driver's side "primary" injector is black. Check the MAS connector while you're at it.

-Robert

So now I officially own a 1987 Conquest, It actually has like 169k miles.

Injector clips don't lock onto the injectors, and he pointed out a rattle in the EGR box. He

The guy was awesome, threw in 2 part service book, and owner's manual, an extra a/c controller and another ECU. He also threw an extra throttle body, didn't notice injectors, and an extra TPS. Also threw in a black front spoiler and ricer fart can all with the price of the car. He even paid the title transfer from the 1200 I paid.

Talked to his friend who has a truck with a wheel lift, hes going to bring it to my place whenever I call him. I think overall its a pretty good deal.

Edited by MattParanoia

Well the car will rev as high as it can, but then its not getting enough fuel so it cuts out (Kind of like having a choke on a small engine). It's probably either the injector clips (since neither is clipping on all the way) or a MAPS.

Edit: Atleast thats what I am hoping.

Edited by MattParanoia

We brought her home today, after having to deal with U-hauls bs made it back and she looks at home in my driveway.

It seems like we were wrong with the clips or MAPS, put premium gas in poured sea foam into the gas tank, oil, and intake. After that the car seems to run decent for a little bit, only up to like 3k, then once it gets a little warm the the fuel pump (which is a new high flow aftermarket, from the previous owner) seems to struggle, and makes very loud whining noise and the engine begins cutting out. I did order both new clips and MAPS, so it doesn't really matter. probably going to need new ones anyway.

It made me think. My old car was a 1989 TBI Pontiac Lemans... it would run good for a bit, and then cut out after it warmed up. I replaced the fuel filter and it began running fine again.

It could be the fuel filters? I am not completely sure.

Where are the fuel filters on Conquests, it is very likely that only the in-tank has been changed.

Primary filter is located on the driver side inner fender wall. When I got mine, I changed it, put in a new cap and rotor, new plugs, new plug wires, and have also checked the in tank filters. You can download a service manual from Starquestgarage.com as well as a parts locator manual.