Starter installation on 88 quest

j.coulter

Well, someone has to ask it..........

What makes you think that your starter is bad?

I go to start it nothing happens, however, I still get power to all accessories, etc. I tried jumping the battery and still got nothing. I don't really know where else to start. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

I go to start it nothing happens, however, I still get power to all accessories, etc. I tried jumping the battery and still got nothing. I don't really know where else to start. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

hmmm - check the voltage on the battery when you crank it. Sometimes a battery can be so dead it'd take almost 30 minutes of jumping charge for it to crank over.

What type of tranny do you have in the car - auto? If so, if the neutral safety switch is not working, or is mis-adjusted, the starter is disabled. Try putting the tranny in neutral instead of park and turn the key. Still nothing? Move the lever back and forth while holding the key in START. If it even bumps the starter once then fix the neutral safety switch/adjust it.

Also, the factory alarm disables the starter link. Quick "reset" method: use the ignition key to lock and unlock a door. In theory, unlocking the driver door is enough but, since that's the one that gets used the most, the alarm cancel sensor in that door tends to fail first. Try locking and unlocking the passenger door, then see if the starter engages.

Otherwise, you're down to tracing wires. The circuit to the starter solenoid is fairly easy:

battery + post --> IGN fusible link --> ignition switch input post --> ignition switch START post --> small wire at solenoid.

You need to trace those points, looking for +12volts on each one while holding the key in START. When you get no volts, you've found the break in the circuit.

A missing ground strap on the engine block will also lead to a no-start because the starter motor can't ground well enough for the huge current draw it demands. Other ground wires try to take up the load - and burn out like fuses. The throttle cable ends up being a ground and it burns up, welding the cable to the protective sheathing... destroying the cable. The engine block ground is bolted to the driver side of the block, near the alternator. On rebuilds, shops paint the blocks... if you didn't clean the paint off this point before installing the ground strap then that's the bug.

mike c.

I think my starter has gone bad. I beat on it and still did not get anything so I guess Im going to have to change it. How hard is this little project. Anyone let me know the hours and secrets for this job, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

Does it not kick at all anymore or sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't? i had the same problem and a new starter later i find that all i needed was a Positive batt. cable. pick one up first or with a alt and replace it first. urs is 20yrs. old so should be swaped anyway. 15 bucks at NAPA. could save you $80

Edited by Homeless2B