Komeuppance

Amused.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,590 posts
  • Interests:Starions, and Starion accessories
  • Model:Starion

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

If you cannot find the correct wire in the engine bay, you can run a wire directly to the back of the tach in the cluster.

-Robert

Posted Image

#22 jisleyjr

jisleyjr

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

View PostKomeuppance, on 23 November 2009 - 11:25 PM, said:

If you cannot find the correct wire in the engine bay, you can run a wire directly to the back of the tach in the cluster.

-Robert
I'm in no mood to pull the cluster out. hehe

Looking at the service manual it looks like the tach wire was not in the engine wiring harness, which i have pulled out completely. Page 47 A-30.

I just need someone to be able to tell me if i have the right one pointed out in that picture. I am guessing i have one of the diodes backwards.
1988 Conquest, Fiji with blue/grey cloth interior. Magna MPI/MS2/EDIS-4, D2's, td05h/s16g
1987 Starion, Black Ext and Black Leather, parts car :(
1983 Starion, Black Ext and grey cloth interior, driveway queen
2006 Acura TL, Anthracite Ext with Black Leather, rolling on 18's.

#23 substock

substock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

thats appears to be the correct wire.

make sure the diode bands match the direction the arrows are pointing in the picture
'89 Conquest

#24 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

just out of curiosity,  has anyone tried using the pin #2 on the edis module ?  it says on the main page of the megamanual for edis, that some people can connect there to make a stock tach work.  i havent had the opportunity to try it yet but its not far away on my list.

also, those are digi key part #'s.  or are those part #s pretty universal. or do you have the values for them 15-18volt zener is simple enough. what about the other two diodes values?

nevermind about the  valuesand part #s.  a quick look at digi keys website told me what i was asking.

Edited by pure_insanity, 24 November 2009 - 01:13 PM.

some good mpi info that may help someone.
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#25 substock

substock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

from what i've heard for our cars. the only way for the tach to see the signal from pin 2 on the edis module, is to run a sheilded wire directly to the back of the tach gauge.
'89 Conquest

#26 jisleyjr

jisleyjr

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

That is the wire for the tach and it looks like i had broken my diodes when i soldered them, must have got them too hot. I had extra so i just crimped instead this time and the tach works now, wahoo! Just when i thought i was done working on my car the driver side window falls all the way down when i start to roll it down, ugh!
1988 Conquest, Fiji with blue/grey cloth interior. Magna MPI/MS2/EDIS-4, D2's, td05h/s16g
1987 Starion, Black Ext and Black Leather, parts car :(
1983 Starion, Black Ext and grey cloth interior, driveway queen
2006 Acura TL, Anthracite Ext with Black Leather, rolling on 18's.

#27 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:09 AM

i went shopping for diodes today at the only store around that has electronic components and wouldnt you know they were out of what i needed. i got a half assed radio shack around but its not likely they got the 2 regular diodes.  i picked up the zener diode but still need the other 2.  anyone got a couple they feel like sending and ill drop you a couple dollars?
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#28 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Just FYI I am using the stock tach with EDIS without the diode setup. I did have it setup as shown above but the tach wasn't working at low RPM. I have the white wire spliced directly into the PIP output of the EDIS module. Works like a charm.
It should probably have some kind of isolation in the line to the tach. At RPM over 4.5k I get some random false triggering that may be attributed this this.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#29 87quest-TSI

87quest-TSI

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Trying to keep it running....... Always something to do on them.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

View Postpure_insanity, on 24 November 2009 - 12:59 PM, said:

just out of curiosity,  has anyone tried using the pin #2 on the edis module ?  it says on the main page of the megamanual for edis, that some people can connect there to make a stock tach work.  i havent had the opportunity to try it yet but its not far away on my list.

also, those are digi key part #'s.  or are those part #s pretty universal. or do you have the values for them 15-18volt zener is simple enough. what about the other two diodes values?

nevermind about the  valuesand part #s.  a quick look at digi keys website told me what i was asking.

Yes I have tried pin #2 and pin #11 for the tack. nether worked on the stock tack. Ford cars with a stock tack use pin #11 on the edis module.
1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 club cab.
1989 Conquest TSI Sophia White, sunroof, has A Modified Magna MPI intake by me, MegaSquirt 2 with a 3.57 board running 2.1.0 code and EDIS.
1988 Conquest TSI Silver, sunroof , caravan intake and a KDM exhaust.
1988 Conquest TSI Sophia White, auto, parts car.
1987 Conquest TSI Shetland Beige Metallic (S83), in hibernation.
1971 JEEP CJ5

Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 87quest-TSI

87quest-TSI

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Trying to keep it running....... Always something to do on them.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

View Postpure_insanity, on 25 November 2009 - 03:09 AM, said:

i went shopping for diodes today at the only store around that has electronic components and wouldnt you know they were out of what i needed. i got a half assed radio shack around but its not likely they got the 2 regular diodes.  i picked up the zener diode but still need the other 2.  anyone got a couple they feel like sending and ill drop you a couple dollars?

Do you still need these? If so I beleave I got some. Your needing the 1N4004 right?
1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 club cab.
1989 Conquest TSI Sophia White, sunroof, has A Modified Magna MPI intake by me, MegaSquirt 2 with a 3.57 board running 2.1.0 code and EDIS.
1988 Conquest TSI Silver, sunroof , caravan intake and a KDM exhaust.
1988 Conquest TSI Sophia White, auto, parts car.
1987 Conquest TSI Shetland Beige Metallic (S83), in hibernation.
1971 JEEP CJ5

Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

bump for sticky
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#32 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

View Post87quest-TSI, on 26 November 2009 - 07:22 PM, said:

Do you still need these? If so I beleave I got some. Your needing the 1N4004 right?

nah dave, i actually found them just a couple days ago.  i wandered into an oddball radio shack store and said wth, ill give them a try and sure enough they had them.  the ironic part was they even used digikey part numbers even tho the guy said he didnt think they ordered them from digikey. it was right there labeled in their bins with the 1n4004 part number.  i wish i had known you had them. never even crossed my mind you may have them. thanks for the offer, i appreciate it.
mpi stuff

#33 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

got the "gizmo" built and in the car, works great.  im pretty happy to see my tach working nowadays.  i cant believe how fast my car revs. i had never payed attn in ms.
mpi stuff

#34 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Grant...I need the hookup..I got no tach...where you get the stuff from?
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#35 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

they are available from radio shack.  or at least i had one of the diodes from another place, but i got the 2 diodes from radio shack. part numbers are in the first couple post from IW. if you have trouble finding the zener diode, ive got an extra as i had to buy a 2 pack.  however its cheaper to buy the diode than for me to mail it to you.  i think they were like 1.04$ or something. hell an envelope and stamp cost more than this.
mpi stuff

#36 bigmandsm

bigmandsm

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

bump for sticky great info
Learning something new everyday

Posted Image

#37 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,156 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

B) Glad to see this helped you out!  B)

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#38 CaliConquestAlex

CaliConquestAlex

The Wrench

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Interests:BOOOST!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

Bringing this thread back up because it's relevant to the issue I was having and then solved. I did some wire tucking on the inside of the car for the megasquirt and when I reconnected the battery, my car started up, however, the stock tach which worked before was no longer working. My megasquirt was getting tach signal so I knew it had nothing to do with the coil or vr sensor. After a few hours of checking fuses and wire connections I remembered that this diode trio connection feeds the stock tach signal. Sure enough,  I unwrap the wires and the 18v zener diode was literally broken into pieces. I replaced the parts and all is well again. Thanks again for this write up.
2004 Infiniti FX35 Beryllium, Fully Loaded

2004 Lexus IS300 - Soon to be NA-T

1988 Conquest TSI - SOLD/Parted out
Magna Intake, MEGASQUIRT 2 (V3 Extra fw) Direct Coil Control - EDIS 4, 292m cam, Synapse Synchronic 40mm WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, T3 TD06 20G turbo w/ .80 housing, 95 lb injectors, Treastone turbo manifold, ST springs, KYB GR2 shocks, MK1 front camber plates, Drilled/slotted rotors and braided brake lines, HD valve springs, SR20DET 3-row Radiator. MK1 Short Shifter, Da Funk Loc motor mount, Transmission Tuff-pan, Stedebani poly trans mount, Cusco front strut brace, TEP rear strut brace w/ battery tray, AEM UEGO wideband sensor.

Click the pictures for larger images:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#39 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,156 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the update!
Glad to see you back up and working.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#40 randy

randy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Other

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

I think I have to do the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users