Help with options for turbo upgrade.

neohioquest

I recently aquired a 14b complete turbo from a 1g talon. It has minimal shaft play but I will be rebuilding it anyways. The question is, I know that to either A: Run the turbo as a whole I will have to modify several things to make it work including downpipe,clocking of the cartrige and compessor and so on. B: attempt to ustilize my 12a turbine housing and have a machine shop (which I have no idea nor have found anyone in the northease ohio area to do this) to make it work like that. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as knowing a shop that does this and or a way to make it work? I know I can get another wheel for a 16g or so on but for now this is what I would like to try out and see how it works for me. I'm not looking for a huge gain at this point just a little more. I know there is aproximatly a 100cfm flow increase for the 14b. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks!

This is also my first topic post. Cut me some slack Haha

Don't waste your time, that turbo isn't worth the effort to install it even if you rebuilt it and usually the turbine housings are cracked. Don't put one penny into a stock turbo no matter what you want to do to it. The turbine housing is a POS and the compressor housing isn't worth having ported either. Just get a new china ebay turbo, get a big16g for an EVOIII, it will botl to your manifold with little effort and yes you'll need a downpipe but you'll need that anyway. If you don't use the restrictor fitting in the cartridge for the oil feed and don't fully prime it before you start the engine, like any other turbo you'll ruin it. Your stock coolant and oil lines will still work with it. Get a new steel oil feed line at the dealer its about 15.00. Move the oil drain for the turbo to the pan just below the stock baffle.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Indiana I appreciate the feedback.Sorry its been a delayed response but the factory turbo and what i can use from the 14b is what I have for now. I'm looking to just mess around rather than anything else. It's not a dd and I dont put more than 2k on it a year. Hell I'd remove the turbo and mess around with different combinations ten times. My next question is thatI have seen people use the 14b and I was wanting to get some feedback if I should A:keep the td05 turbine and use the 14b compressor and housing or, B: use the td05h turbine in the conquest housing I have had modified a while back and go that route. Also I plan on porting the exhaust manifold and both of the turbine housings to get a little more flow. Again any feedback is welcome.

Buying a new, or building a upgraded Turbo depends on how you plan to use the car and the modifications that are in place. Quick short runs, or higher boosting on long runs.Do some searching about different Turbos, their efficiency and boost ranges and the modifications need to run them. Then post back.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Hello Bill, I've gone through many hours of research on turbos. When I'm ready to spend a decent amount of money and go fast I will purchase the neccessary things for MPI and so on. Im looking to use the components I have right now. I've had the chance to ride in a quest with the 16g upgrade in the stock housing and was very impressed actually. I'm not looking for that. I just like to cruise the car and take it to AutoX from time to time.

Hello Bill, I've gone through many hours of research on turbos. When I'm ready to spend a decent amount of money and go fast I will purchase the neccessary things for MPI and so on. Im looking to use the components I have right now. I've had the chance to ride in a quest with the 16g upgrade in the stock housing and was very impressed actually. I'm not looking for that. I just like to cruise the car and take it to AutoX from time to time.

If I were you, I would gather up all your turbo parts and contact this Turbo shop: http://www.gpopshop.com or call them at: 1-479-751-7966 to see about building a turbo from the parts you currently have.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Wonderful! I will contact them tomorrow. Thank you! Im also looking for some feedback on anyone that has used the 14b setup or something similar to see how they liked or still like it if so.