What exactly is so wrong with the stocker?

formula94lt1

• 3 weeks later...
Not to mention no rebuild kits for the stocker! That thing is 20years old just like the engine, but that can be built to handle more and last longer. We dont reccomend pushing for big power through an old engine but we will through an old second hand tranny. Don't make sense.

technically, the mainshaft is weak and flexes pretty bad under load. Do some cheap mods get in your car and drive it like you stole it. Try to powershift during this little experiment and you ill find yourself grinding & missing gears, if not living the tranny in the middle of an intersection

• 11 months later...
technically, the mainshaft is weak and flexes pretty bad under load. Do some cheap mods get in your car and drive it like you stole it. Try to powershift during this little experiment and you ill find yourself grinding & missing gears, if not living the tranny in the middle of an intersection

Haha I did that when I first put the Hurricane MPI with t70 turbo, went down the street and powershifted....I cracked the case and left a nice gear oil trail all the way to my house....hehe! :hmm3grin2orange:

• 2 weeks later...
Haha I did that when I first put the Hurricane MPI with t70 turbo, went down the street and powershifted....I cracked the case and left a nice gear oil trail all the way to my house....hehe! :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the headsup on that. No powershifting here for a while even though I have a spare 88/89. Can't say I'd be laughing if I have to pull a tranny again. Still waiting to hear about that upgraded internals GP project up in Orlando, although it seemed to have quieted down for some time now.

How much hp you running on that anyhow Desert? Hope to see your ride sometime if there ever ends up being a Central/Southern FL meet.

Edited by mstieg

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't recommend drag racing, clutch dumping and power shifting the stock unit.

However for road racing and autoX it's just fine. Even with MPI or high HP mods. It just requires that you... y'know... actually use the clutch. :thumbsup:

There's always a lucky few that can't seem to kill them. Look at Pr4manceman and his 500+RW torque wideblock 4G64 car running a stock 88 tranny. He beat it for years on MPI, then upped the ante with a 4G64 (I think he made 488 RWHP and like 520 torque at moderate boost). I can personally attest to the fact he drives his cars to the limits ALOT :hmm3grin2orange: He races that car regularly with drag radials too. Sorry Brandon, I probably just jinxed your tranny...LOL. He consistently cut 1.60 60-foot times at the 1/8 mile track near his house so he ain't holding back for sure :D

• 2 weeks later...

i just had mine apart checking it over and they seem to be well built. I think its age and abuse that kills them. Of those who broke them, before it happened did you know the condition of the tranny? It doesnt take much slop in something then a big jolt in the driveline to take it out. I think if you make sure everything is tip top it will hold up for awhile.

Just out of curiousity, where did the case crack? Might be good to brace it next time its out. I noticed the Chinese drift starion guys ground all the ribs off their tranny and polished it. Id say that case isnt long for the world.

just remembered i had some pics of mine when i pulled it apart.

i think this is what most consider the weak spot

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/P6020004.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/P6020005.jpg

Under that front plate is a selective shim, any wear from the input bearing at the point you want to see what its limit is, should be checked. Spreading gears apart, flexing shafts these things rob power as well. When the shafts spread the slop in the gears increases allot, slam those and then they sheer off. You can break the tip from an iceberg but can you crack the base? The case was strengthened when they added the intercooler, some other parts kept being changed then the tin pan was upgraded to a pinned cast pan in 88.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM003445.JPG

The gears may get shock from the motor through the clutch BUT that same shock can come from a bent driveshaft, worn u-joints, ring/pinion slop, worn differential bearings, bad half shafts, loose wheel bearings, worn struts, wheel hop -all those things hook to that same shaft in the transmission its just on the other end and you don't hear the things behind the transmission mentioned only the "power" from the engine so consider those things too when you have a transmission go.

Edited by Indiana

Just thought i'd post this....

Since i started in starions a few years ago i was always told our trannies were crap and that no one built a rebuild kit for the manuals...

well with 5 seconds of searching i found this

http://www.drivetrain.com/mistsubishKM4_5RWD.html

those are not Starion tranny rebuild parts, there are turbo specific parts and a d50 tranny would grenade on you and a d50 tranny also has a different bellhousing its not even cast to use a hydraulic slave cylinder they use a cable shifter. You can buy km145 kits everywhere but if you go to the dealer and add up the parts, this has been done a few times before you'll just decide to buy a new tranny ~2500 give or take a few hundred

You look at this link and start comparing truck and Starion tranny parts prices

http://www.b2600turbo.com/89i.pdf

here's you a link for a dealer to see the wholesale prices

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213714

Conquest is an F engine

starion box has a design problem, the gears are too small, mainshaft and layshaft are too close together, case spreads, box strips gears.

RX7 box is built like a brick shithouse, and they're cheap. and u cant get an easier conversion..

guy over the road from my workshop has a 1969 MK2 cortina with a 900whp 13B turbo in it (does 8.1's with 28X9 slicks), he was running high 9.70's with about 500rwhp and doing rear bumper scraping wheelstands before he snapped 2X FC RX7 output shafts. so he swapped to a jericho.

also they have HUGE aftermarket support over here, as they're a favourite with the rotary circuit racers.

nope, thats what the pinned alloy pan was on your 88/89 cars, that was originally a Ralliart special group A part, as was the 6 bolt halfshafts and larger diff side gears in the 88/89, it helps, but only to an extent. i've heard of rally guys over here making a full steel strap "cage" to go on the outside of the box to stiffen it up, but they still break. one of my customers has just cryo-teched his stock gearbox, we'll see how that one holds up...

• 1 year later...

My last car, an 88 starion esi-r...I had the trans rebuilt before modding. I ended up with about 360hp pn TBI and stock trans, stage 1 clutch disk and oem pressure plate, mookeeh short throw. I just didnt speed shift and it help up fine with no issues for a little over a year before i sold it. The new owner hasnt had problems either.

I guess it was one of those rare freak things you see in some cars? You know like 2 identical cars, drivetrain and one fails and one doesnt...

Since you bumped this old thread, I will add that I ruined the bearings in an 87 tranny just doing a 5th gear pull. 417 pounds of torque can do that, I guess. But every other gear is fine. I've launched the car a couple times now and gotten a good amount of wheel hop and no damage after swapping to an 88 tranny that grinds gears really bad.