Roller Cam Dynamics

OK, the problems with the roller cam can be overcome.  We are sure it will work on mine when I get this thing back together.  The reason there are issues are all due to the smaller base circle needing used to get the higher lift, and take advantage of the roller cam lobe dynamics.  The shape of the roller cam lobe is steper, and wider at the top, so it holds snaps the valve open all the way faster, and it holds it there longer, over the same time period as a non-roller. This dynamic also allows you to greatly increase the lift amount, and get trmendous amounts of power throughout the RPM range, which is also increased top and bottom.  OK, the smaller base circle means the cam end/roller tip must dip down further before it meets up with the cam. This requirement means it must also come up further from the top of the valve.  thus, stock length valves wont work.  You just might be able to use the manual lifter valves which are longer, and .125" lash caps to make up that extra needed length.  I would strongly recommend using a known good hi-heat epoxy to glue them to the valve for added protection against them coming out.  You can have a machinist cut into the seats and get some length that way too.  We are looking into gettting that working for a lower budget alternative to the hi lift Schneider roller set-up.  Higher budget is of course custom made valves.  It would be best to come up with a good Manley valve the right length, with their wafer hardened tips on them, so there is no need for lash caps.  I may be going that route here, just for insurance against caps coming out.  I found out when I lost a cap, it went between the cam lobe and the head, and cracked that head.  It ended up being unrepairable, so, Marnal here I come!   I don't want to take that chance on my new marnal, so I am looking into going with the Manley blanks custom length, hardened wafer tip.  I know there is smeone out there offering the Aussie version of a roller cam, but they don't have the lift I am looking for, and their rockers are 1.3:1 ratio last I heard!  That will decrease the effectivity, and make for some very large lobes if you want top end power.  I know James CNM ran these rockers, and used the Schneider Roller cam, so they just figured the valves and went from there.  As soon as I prove this better, higher performance head, I will be building another for sale.  If I can't come in competitively, then I will not offer them, but I think we can.

Tim C.

Many thanks on all the work you're doing and for the possibility of producing these heads! I hope it works out!  :)

With that head and Chad's intake, (and a few other mods)........the honda boys won't know what the hell hit them!  ;)