Nov 6-8: 2020 Mountain Lakes Drive (Scottsboro, Ala.) Planning Page

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Date preference (1 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preferred date for the meet?

1. Oct. 16 - Oct. 18 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Oct. 23 - Oct. 25 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Oct. 30 - Nov. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Nov. 6 - Nov. 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Nov. 13 - Nov. 15 (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

6. Any of these dates work for me (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

With Pigeon Forge behind us, it's time to start thinking about the annual Mountain Lakes Drive (i.e., "the Scottsboro meet") coming up this fall. The first thing we need to do is decide on a date.

Last year, we held this event directly after Halloween, running the route on Nov. 2. This was done to push for a true "fall colors" drive, which we hadn't done in awhile.

I'd argue we still haven't timed this one properly, if fall colors is the goal. I'd say we had about 40-60% color coverage at the time, but it was still pretty. What wasn't pretty was the traffic. This is a driving meet with a long route, and traffic amplifies trouble. I've never seen so many people towing boats in my life.

Going off feedback from our most regular attendees, I'm going to throw out the possible dates we have available and see what works best for you guys. For those of you who have never been, we typically drive in on Friday, do the drive on Saturday and head home on Sunday. Early arrivals typically shop at Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro on the Friday before the drive. We tried to insert a trip to Unclaimed in the middle of the drive last year and ended up losing some cars before the most scenic of the three stages, the Lakes Loop. Here are the choices:

* Oct. 16 (Friday) - Oct. 18 (Sunday): If you do this, you'll get basically no fall colors unless we have an abnormally cool summer (sorry, I laughed) or an early winter. This is also my wife's birthday weekend and I'm scheduled to work right now, if Covid doesn't wipe out the college football season. I can get around that, but Melena may have other ideas. Still, we need to consider it as a possibility. The National Bass Trail is having an event on Lake Guntersville this weekend, so that might impact room rates and traffic.

* Oct. 23 (Friday) - Oct. 25 (Sunday): A little better for me from a personal scheduling standpoint. No major bass tournaments yet (as of July 8) on the Lake Guntersville schedule, but there is one minor one. Fall colors would be a little better. For those of you in Alabama and Tennessee who care about such things, this is the UA-UT football game date with the game in Knoxville this year.

* Oct. 30 (Friday) - Nov. 1 (Sunday): The same week as last year. No bass tournaments on the schedule yet but that doesn't mean a lot of fishermen won't be on the roads, as we saw last year. Halloween, obviously, would be on drive day, so those of you (and me included) with young kids wanting to trick-or-treat would need to consider that. I can tell you we're very unlikely to select this weekend due to this fact (unless Covid wipes it out). I suggest keeping this one in the back pocket but it's not my preference.

* Nov. 6 (Friday) - Nov. 8 (Sunday): Shockingly, no bass tournaments on the schedule yet. Fall foliage would be strong. If we have college football, this would be a strong weekend, with Alabama-LSU in Baton Rouge on the docket, but I don't have to work it (If you wonder why I keep referring back to football, I have a second job providing content for an SEC football website). One thing we need to be careful of is early winters for our northern guests. I don't want to schedule us and then have people not be able to get here due to early snows.

* Nov. 13 (Friday) - Nov. 15 (Sunday): National Bass Trail weekend is scheduled here already. Fall foliage would probably be at peak, which means you can count on "leaf people" traffic for sure. Again, snow-outs are an issue for northern state travelers. We typically don't get snow down here this early but Monteagle itself can be fussy. Fog-outs are a legit concern on the mountain and we've had that happen to us 4-5 times in the years we've been doing this.

Topic is now open for discussion. If you have concerns, please voice them, as I won't know unless you do.

Edited by JessN16, 29 July 2020 - 01:19 PM.

Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

SQCBannerSig2

#2 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

No one had voted yet so i had to cast one! There's a slim possibility I'll have the car ready to go by then ... slim
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#3 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 09 July 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

No one had voted yet so i had to cast one! There's a slim possibility I'll have the car ready to go by then ... slim

Even if you don't, come on down in an non-SQ if you can. Half the drive last year was made up of strays. :P

Jess
'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

SQCBannerSig2

#4 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:57 PM

By the way, for anyone looking at this poll, there is another one going on on the Facebook page that goes along with this meet. If you'd like to be added to that page, I have to add you as a FB friend first and then give you page access. Let me know if anyone wants that.

As of 11 p.m. July 9, it appears Nov. 6-8 is leading the way.

Jess
'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:

SQCBannerSig2

#5 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

UPDATE -- DATES AND LODGING:

Nov. 6-8 will be the date.

We have a group rate at the Wyndham Garden Lake Guntersville for $99/night, lake view. Discount code is "StarQuest Club." The best way to get the reservation is call the hotel DIRECTLY and DO NOT SELECT OPTION 1. Instead, selection Option 3 and talk directly to their front desk. Otherwise you get Wyndham Reservations Central and they won't know StarQuest from StarKist. The number there is (256) 677-9083.

Group rate is good for the nights of Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Jess

Edited by JessN16, 29 July 2020 - 01:19 PM.

'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:

SQCBannerSig2

#6 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Great! I'll try to make it down. Closing on the house in TN on Aug 28th! Or hopefully before
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#7 JAinsworth

JAinsworth

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 29 July 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

Great! I'll try to make it down. Closing on the house in TN on Aug 28th! Or hopefully before

What city do you live in? It isn't Chuckey TN by chance?
Jimmy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users