#1 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars bikes and speed.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

Well after having dismal success with the syty 10cm and HG gasket failure with the 8cm, and reading Scottstar and Phil and the likes explain. I decided to do a little experimented after some In Dept reading on the AR and volute. I took a one of the 10cm I had laying in around and had the top portion cut down and welded to speed up the velocity but keep the lower backpressure benefit. So far itís impressed my at 20 psi coming on boost a tad slower than the 8cm but quicker than the 10cm and pulling well through the rev range. I will try and post the cutting and welding then the final of it installed on the car.
It doesnít change the AR but the characteristic of the pressure. Which isnít bad at all.

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

Interesting, thinking far outside the box.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:50 PM

Yeah a bit but with this isolation I got time on my hands so to speak. Canít post images for some reason . I have the beginning to installed photos.
On topic: the smaller volute is allowing me to get into boost daily early it still has the 06h wheel and 10cm housing just major modified. My thoughts are based on some info you posted awhile back about the syty housing being larger and having less backpressure. I kinda took a little further with the cutting and welding. Quick spool, nice Topend when needed. Now to monitor backpressure  and see for myself.
Of course there are plenty of turbos with far superior designs but I like thinking outside the box. I will PerfExpert this one as well to see if the feeling is butt  dyno or Reality.
Need help with the image posting.

#4 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,369 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:18 AM

i ran the 48, 63 and 82 AR on my car and it just seem to spool the 83 AR way too late.
he 49 was way too much back pressure. instant spool though. very fun.
the 64 seem best but late in the RPM range. i have a T3 flange on a stock manifold that is ported.
i have seen that they sell a 60AR for my turbo. i would have to convert to an external wastegate.
but it might put the power where i would like it in the RPM range.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#5 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:06 AM

View Postimportwarrior, on 26 June 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

i ran the 48, 63 and 82 AR on my car and it just seem to spool the 83 AR way too late.
he 49 was way too much back pressure. instant spool though. very fun.
the 64 seem best but late in the RPM range. i have a T3 flange on a stock manifold that is ported.
i have seen that they sell a 60AR for my turbo. i would have to convert to an external wastegate.
but it might put the power where i would like it in the RPM range.

The housing that I have fabbed seems to be a great compromise as well. Doesnít come on as fast as the 8cm but much better than the 10cm. Still pulls well at higher rpm. There was a post about logging backpressure and Iím going to try and do that. Iím impressed. I believe the cut version is closer to a .63 as well.

#6 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:06 AM

On factory type turbos one old trick was to open the inlet ports to the turbine wheel.

Have you considered going to a more efficient turbine wheel instead? Td06sl2 maybe?
Also tuning could be an issue why the turbo isnt as lively.

Edited by Funky Phil, 26 June 2020 - 08:07 AM.

10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#7 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 26 June 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

On factory type turbos one old trick was to open the inlet ports to the turbine wheel.

Have you considered going to a more efficient turbine wheel instead? Td06sl2 maybe?
Also tuning could be an issue why the turbo isnt as lively.
Yes , the 10cm is exactly that. Larger Inlet passage 06h wheel,I also had the wastegate hole area opened and The attempt was to get the gases moving as quickly as possible while keeping backpressure at bay. Kinda of a best of boost worlds so to speak.
True there are plenty of different brands that could have fit the bill, but as hotrodding goes do more with less.

#8 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Ok . Update, adjusted the wastegate actuator, replaced the vac line to the ebc solenoid. Guys this thing hits ~15-17psi 3500ish 1st, ~25psi around same rpm and it just gets better as I get in it. What I wanted this turbine to do seems to be working well. As fast if not faster I dare say the spool is than the 8cm and still pulling up 5500rpm range which good. Torque is on tap early and Iím seeing positive pressure by 2200rpm or so Iíd say. Working on some hard data to back up the claims. Hard to watch all the gauges and steer. The computer is the old pentium laptop. Battery wonít hold long so I donít trust it to datalog. Ordered a new battery. Weíll see how the numbers line up.

#9 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:45 AM

View PostSSG_CARTER, on 26 June 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

Yes , the 10cm is exactly that. Larger Inlet passage 06h wheel,I also had the wastegate hole area opened and The attempt was to get the gases moving as quickly as possible while keeping backpressure at bay. Kinda of a best of boost worlds so to speak.
True there are plenty of different brands that could have fit the bill, but as hotrodding goes do more with less.

How are you monitoring backpressure? What numbers have you seen?
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#10 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:40 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 27 June 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

How are you monitoring backpressure? What numbers have you seen?

I have not tapped the housing yet. That’s the next area of business. That’s one of my major concerns second one is the tune. It needs a better one for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users