#1 7TCatvert

7TCatvert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:cars......Cougars, NSX, , Datsun Z and StarQuest
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

Trying to clean up the engine bay and I have a question.

The PCV hose comes out though the valve cover runs to a canister(oil catch can?) I saw someone route to the can on the firewall from the passenger shock tower.  

Any other ideas?  
Run an aftermarket catch can?
Eliminate it all together and just put a vent on top of the valve cover?
1989 Chrysler Conquest Tsi Fiji, mpi, 16g, msquirt, coilovers, larger intercooler, battery relocation, heavy sway bars and stiffeners, and cold AC...

1970 Mercury Cougar Convertible
1972 Datsun 240Z
1978 Datsun 280z
1991 Acura NSX
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

2010 Toyota 4Runner
my webpage..http://www.cardomain.com/id/7TCATVERT

#2 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Wrenching,Fishing,Bicycling, and collecting old school vinyl!!

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

The Pcv will go to the intake, under the throttle body inlet neck.
The catch can gets a hose from the rear port on valve cover, the accordion hose, and the oil pan
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#3 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

PCV is the valve screwed 8nto the front of the valve cover and points toward the drivers side. Like 81Z said, it goes to the intake. What you are looking at is the valve cover breather and oil catch can setup. Best not to mess with that unless serious engine mods are in store.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#4 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

Don't run a vent on the valve cover. The purpose of the catch can and PCV system is to keep the rings pulled against the cylinder walls and to remove oil vapors from the crankcase to intake system.

Essentially running the valve cover open will make you run lean as it is a big vacuum leak when not in boost. Ideally run a dual catch can system. The factory oil can works well but I'm sure get gunked up over time. A newer catch can that can be disassembled a cleaned will work good too. Dont use a cheapo can, get a good baffled one.

Some of the ebay cheap cans dont have proper baffling inside and dont really do anything.

#5 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

are you wanting to move it to clear up the inner fender? There is a factory bracket spot welded to the firewall with 4 bolt holes in it. You can make a bracket and attach it to the can and bolt it there if you're wanting to just clear that fender up.
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#6 7TCatvert

7TCatvert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the advice and clearing up my misunderstanding of where things are.  It is the oil catch can that I was hoping to move.

Can the outlet from it go anywhere besides the intake tube?   I am putting on a hard pipe cold air intake so I am eliminating the according pipe.
1989 Chrysler Conquest Tsi Fiji, mpi, 16g, msquirt, coilovers, larger intercooler, battery relocation, heavy sway bars and stiffeners, and cold AC...

1972 Datsun 240Z
1978 Datsun 280z
1991 Acura NSX
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

2010 Toyota 4Runner

#7 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

The bottom port on the can will go to the oil pan, the side port will go to the valve cover and the top will go to accordion. Some just run a hose off the top and leave it open and just leave the others connected to the original locations.

Edited by 81zfan, 29 January 2019 - 06:52 PM.

#8 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

If you move it to the firewall, keep in mind the hose from the oil pan will need to be routed in a way that it won't get close to the downpipe

#9 7TCatvert

7TCatvert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

Got it, thanks for all the advice

1972 Datsun 240Z
1978 Datsun 280z
1991 Acura NSX
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

2010 Toyota 4Runner

#10 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

No Problem, I think we have all been here at some point in time. I tried the breather on the valve cover trick and took the can off, and eventually hooked it back up. I didn't have any problem with oil or anything coming out like I've read about others. I only hooked it back up as a "just in case" measure. Mitsubishi knows a lot more than I do, so I'm sure they have a good reason to install it from the factory

#11 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

If your abs is gone you can do this. I even moved my power steering fluid reservoir  to that spot as l felt it was to close to turbo in stock location and to hot all the time.Just fab some brackets.
Relocation https://imgur.com/a/Yh6MZSw
Some people like to upgrade the catch can and that's cool to. I find stock system works very well unless you have lots of blowby or pushing some massive boost pressure that makes it past the rings blowing out your oil dipstick and overloads the whole system w oily mist. In that case total seal rings and upgraded catch/separator is recommended.

Edited by croquest87, 29 January 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#12 cwgurth

cwgurth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:29 PM

I am running a chads intake manifold. Mpi setup. Where is a good source to hook the pcv valve hose into? (Front side of valve cover) the intake has 3 vacume ports plus one for the brake booster. Will any vacume source work? Any help appreciated. Currently hooked into vacume T in line with my 3bar map sensor. Acts Like it is blowing the spark plugs out.. idles for 5 minutes dies after a little preheat. Trying to get it all 100 before going in for tune. Currently Running super rich may also be an issue, just hasn't done this until I plumbed the pcv valve in from just being unplugged, cause I forgot about it down the line.

#13 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:54 PM

View Postcroquest87, on 29 January 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

If your abs is gone you can do this. I even moved my power steering fluid reservoir  to that spot as l felt it was to close to turbo in stock location and to hot all the time.Just fab some brackets.
Relocation https://imgur.com/a/Yh6MZSw
Some people like to upgrade the catch can and that's cool to. I find stock system works very well unless you have lots of blowby or pushing some massive boost pressure that makes it past the rings blowing out your oil dipstick and overloads the whole system w oily mist. In that case total seal rings and upgraded catch/separator is recommended.

Wow, that's nice

#14 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

I did this exact thing with my car too a few years back.  I took some pics while I was out working on it today.  I just made my own bracket out of some sheet metal I had laying around and mounted to where the ABS was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by techboy, 23 July 2020 - 09:57 PM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users