Evo 4G63 Swap

B00sted VR-4

Looked and hadn't found any. I know the old 4G63 is not a bad setup, but I like the plug and play and easy flashing you can do with the Evo engine. So many solid setups.

Has anyone done this? I'd like to. I was going to do a 5.3 swap, but I think I want to take the car out to the road course as well. 5.3 would really hurt handling unless it was done very extensively.

you can't group 9's and 10's together, they are completely different. Only similarity is that they were made by mitsu and have awd.

If you want to do the swap, why not get a 6 bolt out of a 1G and wire in an evo8 ecu. it's been done and works. And it's cheap.

if you're looking for the simplicity of flashing, you can use the evo 8 ecu with a dsm 4g63...

that's the setup im finshing up.

I did not realize you could. I was also just thinking of improvements over the years with the engine. I know the 4G63 from back in the day is nothing to scoff out, was just looking at dealing with stuff that is a bit newer. (IE: pick up a low mileage one and do an intake, downpipe, boost controller, and not worry about blowing it up at the race days over modding it for high hp) can't beat a stock engine at track days. It's the modded guys who always blow up.

I did not realize you could. I was also just thinking of improvements over the years with the engine. I know the 4G63 from back in the day is nothing to scoff out, was just looking at dealing with stuff that is a bit newer. (IE: pick up a low mileage one and do an intake, downpipe, boost controller, and not worry about blowing it up at the race days over modding it for high hp) can't beat a stock engine at track days. It's the modded guys who always blow up.

a newer evo engine would be preferable, but you will run into a lot of fitment issues with the turbo on the driver side of the car...there's just not much room.

a nicely built dsm 4g63 will make plenty of power either way.

the plugs are the same from the dsm wiring harness to the evo ecu...you just need to jump a few wires but it's very minimal.

im using one of bill's bellhousings (for the older 4g63) with r154 tranny....would highly recommend it as his work is flawless!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/100_2651.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Starion%20Build/s63-1.jpg

Also, you still had to re-organize the coolant plumbing right?

you change the flow of coolant in the headgasket to redirect the coolant forward and then use a front outlet, I have more details if you need them

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/frontexitcoolingsystem.JPG

• 1 month later...
they actually just figured out how to flash the 98-99 dsm ecu's so you dont even need to do an evo. BFH the crap out of the tunnel then install then remove to BFH more. mine still is tight with the r154 but it works and is ok for now. when i change my clutch im gonna open up the tunnel some more and make a better tranny mount cross memeber set up

where might one find some info on adapting this evo computer or the newer dsm computers to the 4g63 setup? I'm wanting to put a 2.4 with the 2.0 head in my quest. Trying to figure out which wiring setup is goning to be the best. thanks