Vista or XP

Fanta

Alright, I'm building a new PC and here's what I'mg oing with

EVGA 790i motherboard

Intel Quadcore ( Q6600? Debating if I want a 65nm or 45nm - maybe a Q6700 for now? )

NVidia GeForce XFX 9800 GTX video card

2gb of DDR3 RAM

Essentially this is going to be my gaming platform, which I know Vista is still trying to get friendly with. Any reason why I should go Vista over XP? Maybe run dual environments?

EVGA 790i motherboard

Intel Quadcore ( Q6600? Debating if I want a 65nm or 45nm - maybe a Q6700 for now? )

2gb of DDR3 RAM

Essentially this is going to be my gaming platform, which I know Vista is still trying to get friendly with. Any reason why I should go Vista over XP? Maybe run dual environments?

for games....vista sucks. But if you want pleasing to the eye, but slows the computer, you could go with vista. DX10 is a joke, Ive yet to see a difference in actual play. Your computer needs 2x what it needs to run the same game in XP, in Vista, and half of them dont work unless it says, "Games for Windows" on it. It is pretty though...lol I say XP Media Center or Pro. If you'd like, do what I did and do a dual boot of XP and Vista Home Premium(You can hook it to your XBOX 360)

And that sounds like a nice computer...go for the Q9450...45nm, 2.6GHz, and 12MB L2 Cache. and only $30 more the Q6700. And I sure hope your shopping on Newegg.com. Usually the cheapest.

and let me know how the DDR3 works out for you.

Edited by strang3majik

With that proc and video card vista will be fine. But you'll need 4 gigs of ram. and since you are ddr3 that'll cost ya, haha.

I've been using vista for almost a year now. I only had an issue with COD2, a simple google search fixed the problem. Every other game runs flawless.

The anti vista parade has been going on for too long now.

for games....vista sucks. But if you want pleasing to the eye, but slows the computer, you could go with vista. DX10 is a joke, Ive yet to see a difference in actual play. Your computer needs 2x what it needs to run the same game in XP, in Vista, and half of them dont work unless it says, "Games for Windows" on it. It is pretty though...lol I say XP Media Center or Pro. If you'd like, do what I did and do a dual boot of XP and Vista Home Premium(You can hook it to your XBOX 360)

And that sounds like a nice computer...go for the Q9450...45nm, 2.6GHz, and 12MB L2 Cache. and only $30 more the Q6700. And I sure hope your shopping on Newegg.com. Usually the cheapest.

and let me know how the DDR3 works out for you.

I'm actually looking across compusa.com, frys.com, microcenter.com and newegg.com ( half those sites don't even have the 709i mobo listed ) at least both frys and microcenter are local ( microcenter has the mobo $30 cheaper than frys )

I was throwing around the idea of dual booting. I suppose for now just partition my HD and have XP on it and maybe punk out for Vista later?

I'll post pictures when this thing is built :D

790i is an SLI board. You planning on going SLI? My experience with SLI wasn't as wonderful as i thought it would be. I had dual 8800GTS 640MB SLI'd and only saw a marginal gain. Even after hours of research and trying various settings.

newegg.com has them, spendy things! You are going b*lls deep aren't you!

790i is an SLI board. You planning on going SLI? My experience with SLI wasn't as wonderful as i thought it would be. I had dual 8800GTS 640MB SLI'd and only saw a marginal gain. Even after hours of research and trying various settings.

newegg.com has them, spendy things! You are going b*lls deep aren't you!

Well it was that or the 780i

Yeah, I have not had it for too long but it's been flawless, I have a Gateway 6860FX laptop, 1.83ghz intel duo, 4gb ram, plus I usually run another 4gb of ram on the ready boost off my USB, 8800M GTS graphics card with 512mb. I have been happy with it.

Well it was that or the 780i

Can i ask why? Both are SLI boards. You can save some money going with a non SLI board.

I am running a i680 and if i could have done it over i would have gone with a P35 instead. A lot of good reviews and seemed like a solid mobo. On mine when i dropped in the last 2gigs, running 4 sticks of 1gig, i had the mobo fry out on me after a month. Turns out the fsb i was running to the ram was too high, even though it was lower then what the board and ram were rated for, and along with the higher voltage to maintain that speed the board gave up. It was a know flaw in the 6 series boards, no one told me till after it happened though. So i am leary of the 7 series boards now.

I know the 650i's were notorious for that ( and having the northbridge overheat due to crappy thermal paste ) - and I know a 780i is more or less the upgrade version of the 650i

I'm getting an SLI simply because if I feel the need to be wanting to run it one day, I know that I can and not have to go out and buy another mobo.

i thought xp could only register/use 2?

It can handle a total of 4gig, this includes video ram. 2^32bit = 4gig

THat is if you are using XP 32bit. There is a 64bit version but i don't have any experience with that.

So with that you have to use Vista 64bit to use more then 4gig, when i bought my vista is came with the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Edited by jisleyjr

I'm actually looking across compusa.com, frys.com, microcenter.com and newegg.com ( half those sites don't even have the 709i mobo listed ) at least both frys and microcenter are local ( microcenter has the mobo $30 cheaper than frys )

I was throwing around the idea of dual booting. I suppose for now just partition my HD and have XP on it and maybe punk out for Vista later?

I'll post pictures when this thing is built :D

im pretty surprised by microcenter being cheaper than frys. its been my experience so far that frys is the cheapest place we have locally. however newegg does beat the pants off them all. thats where all my components came from.

im pretty surprised by microcenter being cheaper than frys. its been my experience so far that frys is the cheapest place we have locally. however newegg does beat the pants off them all. thats where all my components came from.

Not sure if its any cheaper but have you tried www.pricewatch.com ?

• 1 month later...

EVGA 790i motherboard

2gb of DDR3 RAM

ddr3 ram...still kinda....twitchy...but anyways, heres the deal. Vista is a 3d OS which means if you alt+tab out of games a lot it will happen much faster in vista, like alt+tabbing out of word on XP. However, that doesn't change the fact that it sucks, i hate vista more then you can possibly know. But Microsoft isnt supporting XP anymore so unless you go with TINYXP and are ONLY looking to game on this comp i would recommend vista. i think i just died a little inside.

• 2 months later...
Vista, if you want to say you have Vista.

There's nothing wrong with it... just XP is faster.

-Robert

Sorry, should have been specific. XP-64 ROCKS and my games run smoother (the 64 bit subsystem and the ability to address ALL of your RAM and shadow your video/bios (and address this space also)), less hard drive thrashing, more stable, slicker interface, ability to use your dual or quad core CPU. The pros go on and on. Ya I keep my 32-bit XP around, basically I dual booted the machine. Installed XP-64 on the primary partition, and did a image of my old xp -32 bit (restored that on the secondary partition) and I was good to go.

• 3 weeks later...