Sticky RH Turn Signal and Trippy Brake Light

CarlosFley

Sooo my right hand turn signal is stuck, in the sense that when I turn it on it doesn't blink, it just stays on. My left blinker works fine, but my right one is sticky, like I said. Any guesses?? Also, my brake lights work... to a certain extent. Uhmm the left one lights up bright, but the right one, although it does light up, doesn't shine as bright. Like I said, they both light up when I hit the brakes, just one dimmer than the oother. Also when i turn my lights on, my taillights light up just fine, but when I hit the brakes my right one shuts off, while my left one shines bright like a Diamond!* Any clues?

Check to make sure you have 1157 bulbs in the brake lights. The rear turn signals use 1156. The 1157 bulbs have 2 filaments, one brighter than the other. And 2 electrical contacts on the bulb base. the bright filament is for brake lights, the dim one is running lights. It is possible on some cars to put the bulb in 180 degrees backwards. That would make the running lights bright and the brake lights dim.

First check to see if you have a burnt bulb in the turn signal. Burnt bulbs can cause the turn signal not to blink. You can try replacing the flasher. Round 2 prong unit about the diameter of a quarter above the drivers side kick panel. If the indicator in the dash doesn't light up then that's the cause. Either the bulb is burnt out or more likely the trace on the gauge cluster circuit board blew. If that blew then scrape the green coating off on either side of the break and solder a piece of wire across it.

Check to make sure you have 1157 bulbs in the brake lights. The rear turn signals use 1156. The 1157 bulbs have 2 filaments, one brighter than the other. And 2 electrical contacts on the bulb base. the bright filament is for brake lights, the dim one is running lights. It is possible on some cars to put the bulb in 180 degrees backwards. That would make the running lights bright and the brake lights dim.

First check to see if you have a burnt bulb in the turn signal. Burnt bulbs can cause the turn signal not to blink. You can try replacing the flasher. Round 2 prong unit about the diameter of a quarter above the drivers side kick panel. If the indicator in the dash doesn't light up then that's the cause. Either the bulb is burnt out or more likely the trace on the gauge cluster circuit board blew. If that blew then scrape the green coating off on either side of the break and solder a piece of wire across it.

Okay, so first, thanks for the input. I did replace the the bulbs that were burnt out with 1157's and the ones already in there are 1157. Now, my right reverse light socket rusted over time, so the bupb it had in there was stuck with rust, I was able to later get it out after breaking the bulb but the socket itself is a bit damaged. Just rusted really. So my right reverse light doesn't work either, but I'm pretty sure it's because of all the rust not enabling it to make an electrical contact. Now could that be affecting the rest of the tail light? To the point where my blinker doesn't blink and my brake light doesn't work at night? Lemme know. By the way, my indicator on the dash does light up, just that it stays on. Hope this info helps you help me. Peace!

The power for the brake lights go through the turn signal switch so I suggest the problem is there. Likely dirty, worn contacts.

Okay, thanks. Now what contacts exactly are you speaking of...?

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

Section 8 page 68 for the turn signal circuit and page 69 for the stop light circuit. You can see triangular contacts that exist in the switch itself that slide and make various connections to run the lights. It's likely they are dirty, worn, covered in sticky old grease.