ACT extreme clutch starting to slip

averse

Dont trust that flywheel. Best thing you can do is pay 495 shipped to Competition Clutch for there Steel Flywheel and the Stage 4 sprung 6 puck. Plus the pedal wont be anywhere near as heavy as it is with the extreme. Stage 4 is rated at 475.

My fidanzas running strong for 3 years now, it needs to be installed correctly to be reliable. My act extreme has been on my car for 7 years. One of the best clutches ive owned:) but then again, everyone has their opinion.

The Xtreme is also a known thrust bearing killer.

So information. Such reference. Wow.

ACT sells the highest capacity clutches for the conquest. I never had a problem with an ACT clutch, but I did have problems with a SPEC clutch. The ACT HD street clutch I had held 390 wtq, while only rated at 330 crank torque. I put the top rated ACT clutch in my car and it has been working just fine holding over 500 lbs of torque at the wheels for me and the new current owner.

Maybe the pedal is heavy, but I guess that's a matter of opinion - something you know all about.

And since in this thread, we post a bunch of posts that could have been contained in just one, I will add that the fidanza is an amazing product. You shouldn't say bad things unless you've tried them. Sounds like you are just a comp clutch salesman.

While the "which brand is better" is interesting, I am wondering about repairing my ACT or fidanza since the car is slipping, mainly in 3rd gear under high load. I guess I just need to tear into it to see where the damage is first.

And for what it's worth, This car has had the street clutch/flywheel combo for at least 8 years without problems and I think I may have simply worn it out, expecially since I was at the track 2 weeks ago working on clutch kicking a bit <_<

Edited by averse

I use to have an xtreme. Motor was a new rebuild. Xtreme killed the thrust bearing within a month. Comp clutch is where its at, even better with the non heavy pedal..

If your thrust bearing died within a month of a rebuild, blame the builder and not the clutch because the clearance was obviously not set

properly.

While the "which brand is better" is interesting, I am wondering about repairing my ACT or fidanza since the car is slipping, mainly in 3rd gear under high load. I guess I just need to tear into it to see where the damage is first.

And for what it's worth, This car has had the street clutch/flywheel combo for at least 8 years without problems and I think I may have simply worn it out, expecially since I was at the track 2 weeks ago working on clutch kicking a bit <_<

I bet you just need a new disk.

• Like 1

isnt the ACT extreme clutch a puck clutch? if so, and its slipping, theres the possibility you are down to the rivets, which may have damaged the replaceable friction disc and pressureplate

granted there should be noise if so lol

Going to pull it on Wednesday and take a closer look. When I looked at the Fidanza website about resurfacing the flywheel I saw:

"10. CAN I RESURFACE MY NEW FLYWHEEL? – Yes, we do however recommend replacing the friction plate since the cost is very similar and you are then assured to retain all factory dimensions. "

Edited by averse

Going to pull it on Wednesday and take a closer look. When I looked at the Fidanza website about resurfacing the flywheel I saw:

"10. CAN I RESURFACE MY NEW FLYWHEEL? – Yes, we do however recommend replacing the friction plate since the cost is very similar and you are then assured to retain all factory dimensions. "

not sure how that would work, that would be like turning drilled and slotted rotors..

Ive had one resurfaced. Not much meat there afterwards though. All depends how deep you need to go. That one had heat warpage though. Edited by Funky Phil

If it has heat checks its trashed ..there will be micro cracks and high spots on flywheel..i don't know about act pressure plates , but spring diaphragm will take a set ... springs don't last forever...if cross hatch is polished off...(no good) Needs to have something to bite in too...that's why it is Blanchard ground ....not to smooth not too rough......ive seen ones that have turned finish and ones that have Blanchard finish..the ones that are turned , have grooves like a record (no good for grip) because grooves run the same direction as flywheel.. cross hatch pattern the best for grip grooves run at a angle to flywheel so it has something to bite in too.....