Silent shaft end play...

Fullbore576

So, the ole 87 Quest was starting to sound like a Blackhawk helo and making me feel quite distressed. I removed the t-chain cover and inspected the goods. Last year I replaced the t-chain and gears and decided to leave the silent shafts in place. Once I got the cover off...again, I noticed alot of end play in tha left silent shaft. Should there be any end play?? Would a bad silent shaft bearing cause this crazy sound? When the BSEK is installed, are both silent shafts removed? Has anybody heard this noise before?

Fullbore

Check out the noise.

Ok, I removed the left balance shaft and the bearing is all chewed up but in one piece. It had actually slid forward on the shaft and worn into it. Not to pretty. I also noticed that the gear on the oil pump dosent seem right. There is an outter and inner ring on either side of the sprocket that spins?? Is it supposed to be like that, or should the gear be all one piece? Stupid question, does the oil pump need to be removed to remove the other silent shaft?

Ok, I removed the left balance shaft and the bearing is all chewed up but in one piece. It had actually slid forward on the shaft and worn into it. Not to pretty. I also noticed that the gear on the oil pump dosent seem right. There is an outter and inner ring on either side of the sprocket that spins?? Is it supposed to be like that, or should the gear be all one piece? Stupid question, does the oil pump need to be removed to remove the other silent shaft?

the gear moves as one piece though it looks to be multipart construction

How it looks with the BSE installed.

60413_433025674908_720951_n.jpg

Thanx for the pic. Did you happen to catch my question about the gear on the oil pump? Does the gear have two rings inside/outside of the sprocket that are loose and spin free?

Thanx for the pic. Did you happen to catch my question about the gear on the oil pump? Does the gear have two rings inside/outside of the sprocket that are loose and spin free?

It's a funky looking gear but it should be solid. If it's not then that could be the noise you are hearing.