fuel pump issue

ramz28

Hey guys.. i just installed a walbro 255 and its leaking. I put the stock banjo bolt with fuel damper and it leaks alot. Can i remove the parts and put a bsrb fitting and just cut the hose? Do u have a better solution to this

Did you use new copper washers on EACH side of the fitting? If not it will leak, ALOT. Most decent hardware stores carry them, of course auto parts stores should also have them. You can also use aluminum washers.

If you want to use a hose barb then remove the stock rubber line. Use a 2' piece of fuel injection hose between the pump and the hard line. Just push the nut back on the hard line and slip the hose over the flared end and clamp it.

Ok let me tey an explain this better. The walbro came with 2 fittings. The 1st went to the inlet of the pump. It threaded into the pump then the hose with cone filter sliped on and clamped.

The outlet of the pump was an adapter. I put a copper washer thw tightened the adapter.then i put a aluminum washer, the stock fuel line, another aluminum washer, then the damper. I tightened all of that and installed it back. When i started the car it was pouring fuel down from the banjo area.it wasnt from the adapter. What i would like to do is cut the ruber line close to the pump and put a barb fitting.

Like I said, REMOVE the stock rubber line. Then run FI hose from the hardline to the pump. The stock rubber line is 24+ years old. Replacing it isn't a bad idea.

But first I would try replacing the aluminum washers with copper ones. Aluminum ones are too soft and can deform so bad the spit out the side of the connection leaving a gap for fuel to leak from.

Also, throw that cone filter away. It only works with the stock pump. It will partially block the inlet of an aftermarket pump.

One other thing that helps when using crush washers is to cycle them; tighten the fitting then crack it loose, tighten the fitting again. Maybe even repeat a third time if you still get seepage. Each time you tighten the fitting the washers conform a little bit more.

banjo has a nick on face???check surface of check valve face?? are they the right size crush washers??the right ones are metric..ive looked around at auto shops and have only found American sizes....the face of check valve has very thin land ......look at picture..... crush washer must just slip on banjo bolt . the ones that I got from auto zone are to big on ID or to small on ID.. Edited by markhansenconquest

This is a check valve, not a damper. The damper is in the fuel rail under the 2 screw cover.

Its weird about that check valve/dampener issue. The book calls it a dampener. And if it is truly a check valve than it would be for what purpose?

To prevent drain back into the tank for quick starts? Because with that valve removed there is still fuel at the throttle body after sitting overnight or longer...so I am inclined to believe its a dampener.

Also look at the way it is installed on the line. It IS NOT INLINE with the fuel line. Its just off to the side with a spring loaded metal diaphragm. So there is no way for it to be a check valve.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Well that is the part. And the banjo and the check valve dampner. Are very rusted and look like theryre in really bad condition. I ordered a 10mm x 1 male thread to barb adapter and some fuel hose.

That part only lets fuel flow in one direction. That's a textbook definition of a check valve. You say the "book" calls it a dampener,... please show me where. I've read the fuel chapter and haven't found any references to that part. Even the parts locator manual doesn't identify it. So I identify it by what it does.

Mitsu weirdly doubled up in that area. Strainer in the tank, strainer before the pump. Check valve inside the pump, check valve on the pump outlet.

There are aftermarket versions too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9mm-Bosch-044-Fuel-Pump-Outlet-Check-Valve-In-Billet-Aluminium-Banjo-Adapter-/121152467859?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c353ff393&vxp=mtr

That part only lets fuel flow in one direction. That's a textbook definition of a check valve. You say the "book" calls it a dampener,... please show me where. I've read the fuel chapter and haven't found any references to that part. Even the parts locator manual doesn't identify it. So I identify it by what it does.

Mitsu weirdly doubled up in that area. Strainer in the tank, strainer before the pump. Check valve inside the pump, check valve on the pump outlet.

There are aftermarket versions too.

http://www.ebay.com/...53ff393&vxp=mtr

SOS manuals call it a dampener