Starter Button

TopDawg_43

I think my ignition switch has gone out on me, causing me years of heartache. I'm thinking it's easier to by-pass that too, as appose to fixing it. Anybody have any experiance with one of those EBay starter button kits? At the same time, I'm considering a Painless Wiring kit.

Any input would help.

TD_43~

I put a switch and starter button in a guys car awhile back, just parts from the electronics store although the momentary starter button has to be rated for several amps. Worked great. You can use a three way toggle for the off, accessory and on part, then just push the button to run the starter.

Changing the electronics end of the ignition switch is easy. 2 or 3 small screws separate it from the cylinder housing, and a wiring plug. The whole thing wouldn't take 30 minutes, including dropping the tray under the column.

• 7 months later...
Just FYI for whomever may run into this problem. The issue was with the ground. I think I lost some of the ground, when I moved the battery to the trunk. I got a ground wire kit, and installed it. Problem gone, starter works perfectly.