killed 2 alt's

nicksquest

i think i have a problem Huston, i have killed two brand new alternators!! if i have a short that bad any good place to start looking?? this last time i put an alternator in it would only work in high rpm's and when i use the turn sig it draws really hard on the system. you know when the light flicks on thats for sure. any help would be great if you need to know more to help me just ask and i will tell!! please help!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY QUEST!!

you may want to super clean all the connections and replace the main fuseable link its attached to the positive side of the battery and runs to a small black box. it attaches to the white wire that runs down and recieves charge from tha alt, if it cant get power thru the wire due to a bad connection then its possible it could be burning up the alt.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/Misc%20Quest%20Pics/album_pic.jpg

also the bottom mount of the alt is its grounding source, makes sure you clean that connection as well on the alt and the timing cover where it bolts.

be careful not to get the alts wet, gregs car took out two alts getting them wet. one TRIPLED its output and was sending out almost 60v, yes i said 60.

Edited by cyberquest

you may want to super clean all the connections and replace the main fuseable link its attached to the positive side of the battery and runs to a small black box. it attaches to the white wire that runs down and recieves charge from tha alt, if it cant get power thru the wire due to a bad connection then its possible it could be burning up the alt.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/Misc%20Quest%20Pics/album_pic.jpg

also the bottom mount of the alt is its grounding source, makes sure you clean that connection as well on the alt and the timing cover where it bolts.

be careful not to get the alts wet, gregs car took out two alts getting them wet. one TRIPLED its output and was sending out almost 60v, yes i said 60.

k, so i took the bracket off for some cleaning and the alt to go back to napa for a new one (must have been bad LOL). i will clean the block side of it all upon install. some more ?'s i have are would it have messed thing up if some one hack the wiring for the radio to put in an jvc deck (could be why my windows dont roll down?)?? i also saw the ground going from the tranny to the frame is real bad off. so i will fix that to well i am at it. thanks for the help so far!! oh and i did do the fuseable link(all of them)it was the first thing i did.