#1 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

So I came across a 350z at an impound I buy cars from.  I couldn't pass up the deal and towed it home.  Needs an engine, someone revved it til kingdom come and popped a nice ventilation hole on the side of the block!

It needs a little tlc. But for what I paid for it, I'm not complaining.  I'm having an engine dropped in at a friends shop.  Then off to paint shop for front bumper replacement and paint.

Anyone have any experience with these? I am looking at some Megan Racing bolt on parts. Debating over coil overs or just lowering springs, sway bars, bolt on exhaust etc.

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

One of the first things I would recommend doing is getting a Kinetix phenolic upper plenum. A friend of mine had one on his Z and it worked really well. We had done some spirited driving and after we stopped we popped the hood and touched the upper plenum to check how hot it would be and it was warm but not nearly as hot as the aluminum would have been.

#3 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Turbo Cary, on 06 November 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

One of the first things I would recommend doing is getting a Kinetix phenolic upper plenum. A friend of mine had one on his Z and it worked really well. We had done some spirited driving and after we stopped we popped the hood and touched the upper plenum to check how hot it would be and it was warm but not nearly as hot as the aluminum would have been.

Yeah, I've seen those plenum spacers. Buddy had it in his race car when he was running a twin turbo set up. Its a relatively cheap upgrade.  Its on the list of to do things.

#4 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

louswheel, on 06 November 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Yeah, I've seen those plenum spacers. Buddy had it in his race car when he was running a twin turbo set up. Its a relatively cheap upgrade.  Its on the list of to do things.

His was a phenolic plenum plus a spacer. The top section was made of the same material they use for the spacers.

#5 DSMracespeed

DSMracespeed

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:STARQUEST...CARS,CARS,CARS
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

Cam sensors and crank sensor are common failures...i had to replace both my cam sensors.those motors also tend to lose oil for some reason,so check oil levels often...my 350z has rod knock because it ran low on oil,but never had oil spots on the ground where i parked(oil pressure sensor was out at the time😞)

Jerry L.
'87 Starion
'88 Conquest TSI...4G63 swap
'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo...Restoring
'08 Evo X MR
'03 Evolution VIII
'03 350z
'95 Eclipse GSX
'00 Celica GTS
'02 Protege5
'88 CRX Si
'04 RX-8

#6 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

You should replace the clutch slave cylinder while you have the engine out.  If you don't do it now, you'll have to drop the tranny later to get it done. (Assuming it's a manual)

Edited by EricSQ, 07 November 2017 - 10:36 AM.

Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#7 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

So I got the 350z back with a replacement engine.  It starts fine, idles good, revs up fine. But has no balls, like the SQ has more balls with its whopping 180hp. So I have a feeling something is not right.  

Either they installed a non 350z VQ35 engine, like off another model like an SUV  or something is not right.  

Gonna have to ask the guys that sold me the engine and installation.  These guys are a wrecking yard I've done business with for 15 years.   I know they sketchy mofos...so my gut feeling is I have a low power vq35 in there!  I don't know if thats possible to slap an SUV VQ35 or FWD vq35?

#8 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

What year is the car? They made 2 different engines for them. 03-05 with the single intake and 06-08 with the dual intakes known as the HR (high rev) motor. Doubt it's a fwd VQ they have different bellhousings.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#9 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

TexasQuest, on 12 November 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

What year is the car? They made 2 different engines for them. 03-05 with the single intake and 06-08 with the dual intakes known as the HR (high rev) motor. Doubt it's a fwd VQ they have different bellhousings.

its an 04.  I only tested the car for about 2.5 miles. Could it be ecu needs to be reset? I'm gonna put so fresh fuel tomorrow and take it for a drive.

#10 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

It has several components. ECU, BCM & IPDM
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#11 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

TPS needs to be relearned. There is a way to do it without the scan tool but it is a pain. I would find someone with a Snap On Scanner or even the dealer to have them calibrate the throttle. That is a must for engine or throttle replacement.

Also is the CEL on? If so have you pulled any codes?

Edited by Turbo Cary, 13 November 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#12 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

Turbo Cary, on 13 November 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

TPS needs to be relearned. There is a way to do it without the scan tool but it is a pain. I would find someone with a Snap On Scanner or even the dealer to have them calibrate the throttle. That is a must for engine or throttle replacement.

Also is the CEL on? If so have you pulled any codes?

No check engine light.  Electronic throttle calibration...great! I miss dumb  cars

#13 DSMracespeed

DSMracespeed

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:STARQUEST...CARS,CARS,CARS

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

could be one of the cam sensors.When my first one started to fail,the car would die while driving.When the other one started to fail,the car had no power.

Jerry L.
'87 Starion
'88 Conquest TSI...4G63 swap
'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo...Restoring
'08 Evo X MR
'03 Evolution VIII
'03 350z
'95 Eclipse GSX
'00 Celica GTS
'02 Protege5
'88 CRX Si
'04 RX-8

#14 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

I don't believe any of it till we see some pics!  :D   Sounds like you got a good deal and just need to work out a few details.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#15 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

techboy, on 14 November 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

I don't believe any of it till we see some pics!  :D   Sounds like you got a good deal and just need to work out a few details.

I am a noob around here and still don't know how to post pics! :lol:

I paid $900 for the car and $1400 for engine and install, $280 for a new clutch and I still have to fix a couple other details. So I didn't exactly get a deal at this point.  

I was gonna buy a wrecked 350z at the auction for the engine swap and sell off the rest of the parts to recoup expenses.  But after looking at going prices for them wrecked, with no guarantee engine would be good. I decided to just pony up the money and buy it from a wrecking yard I know.

#16 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

Still sounds like for less than $2700 you're doing pretty well on this! You can sell the car for way more after it's up and running.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users