11 replies to this topic

#1 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:39 AM

When I was trying to reattach the power steering lines to the PS cooler loop (in the area under the air filter) after rebuilding both the PS pump and steering box, I noticed that a small cylinder fell off from one of the lines.

This cylinder has a small hole inside (around 3 mm) and it fits exactly inside the PS lines, it's like a restrictor for the line, or that's what I think.

I looked at the service manual and didn't found any reference to it, so I just put it back inside one of the lines and finished reassembling the steering system.

Now that I think finished bleeding the PS system, the steering feels under assisted, so I'm thinking that that little restrictor might be the problem.

Does somebody know something about this restrictor?
I'll get pics tomorrow once I get it out of the line.

#2 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:53 AM

It looks like this, it's an orifice flow restrictor:

Attached Files

#3 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

The steering had good assist before the rebuild, the problem were the leaks at the pump and the steering box

#4 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Postimportwarrior, on 17 June 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

Banks for posting up the fix.
There's no fix yet, I will attempt to bleed again the system before removing that restrictor.

View Postshp of orion, on 17 June 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

The steering had good assist before the rebuild, the problem were the leaks at the pump and the steering box
What I meant is that before the rebuild it was ok, and after the rebuild the steering feels heavy, probably I misplaced that restrictor

#5 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

This is the dreaded restrictor, does somebody know if it must be in there?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shp of orion, 17 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#6 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,142 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Never knew about that.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#7 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

There is a restrictor in the ps pump itself.
Posted Image

#8 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yeah there's the flow control valve in the pump, but according to the diagram this restrictor doesn't go there...

#9 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,142 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

Yes there is a spring type bypass. The faster the rpm"s the faster the pump turns. The more pressure from higher rpm pushes the spring and opens a bypass valve. this causes the steering to be more firm at higher speeds. Some eclipse guys put a washer as a shim under the spring. It helps make the steering at higher speeds easier to steer. That's because the shim holds the bypass valve closed to a higher pressure.  I learned it from some auto cross guys. There is a tread in the steering section how to do it.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#10 nosaki faki

nosaki faki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:47 AM

I was wondering about these a while back. My big question is how would removing them affect the steering?
I always found the steering a little light for my liking, give it to me nice and heavy.
I thought about putting in an adjustable flow controller which I may still do in the future, for now I have removed the power steering, it was really heavy to the point of being very difficult to turn at parking speed with old 225s up front, with new 215s it actually feels pretty good so far but this may be because the tyres are still brand new and may change when they wear in, I will play suck it and see for a while.
In the event I decide I don't like it I will either jook it all back up with a flow controller or change the pulley size on the pump.
Could someone with more insight into how the system works tell me, would I need a smaller or larger pulley on the pump to make it heavier than stock?

#11 shp of orion

shp of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

View Postnosaki faki, on 19 June 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

I was wondering about these a while back. My big question is how would removing them affect the steering?
I always found the steering a little light for my liking, give it to me nice and heavy.
I thought about putting in an adjustable flow controller which I may still do in the future, for now I have removed the power steering, it was really heavy to the point of being very difficult to turn at parking speed with old 225s up front, with new 215s it actually feels pretty good so far but this may be because the tyres are still brand new and may change when they wear in, I will play suck it and see for a while.
In the event I decide I don't like it I will either jook it all back up with a flow controller or change the pulley size on the pump.
Could someone with more insight into how the system works tell me, would I need a smaller or larger pulley on the pump to make it heavier than stock?

You may damage your steering box without using the power steering, as it was designed to run with it.
An adjustable flow controller would be your best option to make the steering heavier than stock, you won't depend on engine rpm's, and you can adjust it to your preference.

Have you seen the restrictor posted in the pic above in your system?

#12 nosaki faki

nosaki faki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

Yep have cut the hoses, each of the crimped ferules on the hose contains a restrictor, the hole is around 4mm- 3/16"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Power steering, Steering, Lines, Restrictor, Restriction

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users