#41 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

You can get new wiper motors for $58 on EBAY.. Cardone #43-1114....I got one from ebay and it works perfect...I still had to disassemble the wiper arms and regrease everything there....But the wiper motor is great...

https://www.ebay.com...w9aA0O~&vxp=mtr

#42 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

Nice I need one
thanks for the link.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#43 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 29 December 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

You can get new wiper motors for $58 on EBAY.. Cardone #43-1114....I got one from ebay and it works perfect...I still had to disassemble the wiper arms and regrease everything there....But the wiper motor is great...

https://www.ebay.com...w9aA0O~&vxp=mtr

Nice, if this one ever goes out I'll definitely pick one up.
'17 Golf R Daily :: '87 Conquest Racekar
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#44 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Put the starter in. It works. Car starts. That's about as interesting as it gets.

I'm kidding lol. My roommate was bored and wanted to work on something so he volunteered to replace the starter. Can't say no to that and I'm not big on laying under the car anyways (this car will eventually cure that phobia, I bet).
It sounds completely different but starts right away.

Now aside from the random misfire when it's warm (still need to diagnose, probably just spark plugs, it's not very bad), I'd say the Conquest is actually kinda reliable now. *knocks on wood*

We woke up all the neighbors at 5:30 yesterday heading to Coffee and Cars in Memorial City, which is about a 45ish minute drive. Never skipped a beat. Sad that I didn't see any other Starquests though. :(

Posted Image

I'll be posting up a bunch of pictures for that. If you're interested keep an eye on my Flickr

I wanted to go to another similar style show this morning but didn't wake up early enough lol.

Anywho, next post I'll probably have finished the handbrake cables. Got 2 fresh ones from RockAuto waiting to be installed.

:wub:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#45 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Took some time today to assess the situation with the handbrake cables. Not very good.

Started off inside and disconnecting everything here. The seatbelts and center console were kind of a pain to deal with but weren't that bad. The worst part was the cotter pin holding the cable to the lever because for some reason those are the bane of my existence. Yes, I know it's disgusting under here, but rest assured this will get a thorough vacuum by the time this is over.

Posted Image

Once the inside was done I jacked up the rear and noticed the driver's side cable was totally broken off, which allowed me to pull it out from the car easily. Here's a comparison shot. Looks like I got the right part thankfully.

Posted Image

Where it broke. Definitely old.
Posted Image

Anyway, despite the cable being totally out of the car, the wheel was still extremely hard to turn by hand. After taking the wheel off I realized the caliper was seized. Rotor was shot too. Who knows how long that thing was dragging and how I didn't notice it last time I took that wheel off.

Posted Image

Pic of said rotor
Posted Image

I figured I'd check out the other side too. This one wasn't seized to the rotor, however the handbrake lever on the caliper was seized and did not work. I had to cut the cable off altogether because everything was rusty and seized.

Not to mention literally EVERYTHING was completely caked in old dirt and rust, making this a lot harder than it should have been. I understand it's 30 years old, but I'm starting to wonder if this car was sitting in a field for an extended period of time. Most of the underbody is terrible on this thing. Hopefully I can slowly fix most of it over time.

Either way, I'm off to O'Reilly's to order brake parts, so I'll update once those get here. Looks like this car will do some mad handbrake skids once I'm done lol.

:angry:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#46 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Brake parts came in.

Everything looks good and should fit. O'Reilly's had everything online except for the brake caliper brackets.

Not a problem though, my step dad recently got a sandblaster.

Posted Image

They might as well be new now.

Just finished up painting the calipers too.

Posted Image

It's gonna be weird running red calipers in the rear only until I get to the fronts lol.

Hopefully can get everything on in the next few days. Will update.

^_^
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#47 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

Not much progress with the brakes, but I got some goodies.

A guy near me was parting out his car and gave me a sweet deal on a set of SHP wheels, with almost new tires and even an extra front wheel. 400 bucks for all of it.

Posted Image

Would've bought his tails too, but sadly they were already taken.

I'll clean these up and throw them on the car once the brakes are done, and later have them refurbished a bit.

In other news, I replaced the spark plugs and it seemed to actually run a little worse. I'd actually have to drive it to be able to tell for sure. More on that later.

:P
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#48 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,446 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Which plugs did you put in it? NGK 7031 plugs seem to run the best in these cars. Nice work so far!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#49 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostTexasQuest, on 11 February 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

Which plugs did you put in it? NGK 7031 plugs seem to run the best in these cars. Nice work so far!

I used NGK 7084's. I think the wires may be bad though.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#50 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hmmmm I always used NGK BP7ES plugs, up until I switched to E3's.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#51 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,446 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

NGK ME51 plug wires
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users