2JZ Swap

euphoria

I'm beginning to gather my parts for this swap and had a few questions naturally for the guys that have done it. Are you guys using the Supra 2JZ or the Aristo 2JZ that has VVTI? Also how come no one has used the getrag 6speed, just sheer cost or to much of a head ache to fit? The Aristo 2JZ has VVTI but a standalone can cut that off, would that allow that motor to be swapped? I ask because I have an Aristo 2JZ with ecu and harness sitting in the garage. Edited by euphoria

I read some where on this forum that we couldn't use the VVT 2jz, I just want to verify before I begin, also if it's just shifter location for not using the getrag, that seems like a terrible reason for passing on that trans.

see this thread http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135245 I actually just responded to your question on the 6 speed there. With how well the r154 from the mk3 supra turbo fits and the durability of that transmission it works too much more easily and cheaply to consider the v160. What is it that makes you want the 6 speed?

As far as the vvti 2jz goes it can work, but you need to be careful when buying one. It is the later model of the 2jz's and I think a lot of them have an immobilizer that is extremely difficult to deal with, I'm not sure how to tell if there is an immobilizer though. I'm actually currently swapping a vvti 2jz with a r154 into an is300 without any difficulty.

What are your plans? If your going to leave it in stock form then the VVTi is completely fine...it just become a factor when modding. Its just easier to go non vvti and not have to worry about deleting it later when you go stand alone. Almost everyone on here over 500hp is stand alone.

The motor I have was originally planed for an is300 as sell. But I will be going standalone anyway, ProEFI or AEM. As for my reasoning behind the v160 is because it's one of the best transmissions out there without having to do anything to it so I was wondering why none of the 2jz swapped guys went that route. It looks like from what everyone has said is it's just more pricey.

I'm not wanting to run VVTI that's why I asked if just going standalone would knock it out. I'd prefer to use the Supra 2JZ but I already have an Aristo 2J sitting here and since I'll be using proefi it will be fine and going single turbo, swapping the heads will solve my question. I'm guessing you went with the r154? Why not t56 since the gearing seems to agree more with our rear ends? Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

R154 yeah. Lines right up. I dont know about the 6 speed but my friend has one in his 240sx swap and didnt have any issues. Ive seen those cars with r154s in them too. I think they make a modified shifter mount for the 6 speed... oh and not to state the obvious but make sure you block off the vvti oil feed port. Lol.

I also have the r154 in my swap and I like it, it is a very strong transmission and if you get the right one (mk3 supra) it fits our cars perfectly lengthwise, although the width is an issue. for around 4x the price I don't see that much gain in the v160, really I don't see much gain there at all. With higher horsepower cars I've always preferred a 5 speed to a six, the shorter gears just mean too much shifting for me. With traction already an issue in my first couple gears I can't imagine making them even shorter, and thats with a stock 1jz, lol! Now I know the joke is we're all too poor for the v160, and I'll admit it definitely exceeds my budget, but even if it was within my budget it still wouldn't happen. I would more likely do the t56 first, or even the nissan 350/370z 6 speed now that there is a kit for it but I still think any of those are wasted money. Too bad you aren't in my area, I'd gladly take you for a ride in my quest (although right now its a little rough) and show you how well the r154 behaves in our cars. Heck, ask anyone that went to pf12, I tried to give everyone a chance for a ride in my car, it got a real workout that weekend, and not too many complaints.

Please don't take it as I was insulting anyone not being able to afford the v160, I was just trying to figure out why no one was using it. Also I'm not discrediting the r154 I am just trying to find out good info on all the options. How much hp/tq can a r154 hold with a crawler rebuild? I'm staying around the 800rwhp range.

nah, I'm fine, lol! Thats the annoying thing about forums, a lot of the time I think I type too seriously and get misunderstood. I'm not upset at all, and I know I'm no absolute expert either. I can say that I'm really impressed with the r154, and I know my car isn't pushing it too much, the one in my 1jz quest is bone stock but at my level thats not saying too much. I'm currently swapping a lexus is300 with a 2jz vvti and a r154 that has had the mc upgrade. It actually came from a swapped mustang that was putting low 600's to the wheels, the guy put a decent amount of mileage on it and claims to have never had a problem with it. Of course I can't tell you how well it held up until I personally drive it in about a week or so when I complete this swap. As far as how much hp they can handle I'm not sure, my goals aren't usually that high. A good place to go for more help would be supraforums, tons of info on there.

I've done a few swaps before and a decent amount of custom work and always try to build an affordable car, here's what I like about an r154, if it fails or something within it breaks you can get a new one reasonably cheap and be back on the road. If you have the v160 and failure happens its gonna cost you, and upgrades and rebuilds don't come cheap either for them. If I really wanted a 6 speed I'd probably go for a t56, they are much more common and proven, also with upgradeability the sky is the limit and finding someone who can work on them is much easier. I'm really curious about the new kits to adapt the nissan 350/370z 6 speed to the jz motors, those transmissions can handle a lot of power and cost about the same as an r154, if not less! I haven't looked into it too much but have seen the kit for around 1800 for everything but the transmission itself, this would still be cheaper than the v160, but the z's transmission does look to be pretty long so I'm not sure if it would work in a sq.

I read some where on this forum that we couldn't use the VVT 2jz, I just want to verify before I begin, also if it's just shifter location for not using the getrag, that seems like a terrible reason for passing on that trans.

btw, the shifter on the v160 can be shortened, so I'm sure that it could be fitted to our cars with a little work but without shortening the shifter I think its around 2", maybe 2.5" too long but its been a while, I've got the measurements somewhere but I can't seem to find them. I'll actually be going to look a some jdm engines soon and could measure one for you.

Edit... with the vvti 2jz's from what I understand some of them have an immobilizer system which makes the ecu almost useless, I'm not sure how to tell if you have one with an immobilizer either.

Edited by jeph_tsi

Yes, I started to take the 4g63 out of my 1031awhp 2g gsx but I couldn't bring myself to pull the gsx apart. I had this 2jz sitting here waiting for my friend to be ready to swap his is300 but he decided to sell the car leaving me with a 2jz for the quest.