17 replies to this topic

#1 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Well was driving the 89 home from work.. cruising along.. i went to speed up a bit and no response.. thought i was up a gear to high but wasnt.. i stepped on it and nothing.. no spool.. no go. Just a weird sound.. i pulled over and popped the hood. The coolant reservoir was overfull and spilling on the ground.. engine running terribly. Very very light gray smoke coming from exhaust.. eng temp never went past half way on gauge.. i limped it home and used my ir thermometer on the engine.. valve cover was 212*F thermostat housing was 190. Coolant hoses 190. Radiator 185. Exhaust ports all around 280.. all withen range. Im pretty sure either this garbage jet head did what they do or the headgasket went... looks like its time for an overhaul.. litterly just ordered a non jet head off amazon. Has good reviews.. god this is going to really suck..

End rant

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

I had an engine failure on mine years back. Was about 2 exits from my house on the way to work when I noticed oil pressure dropping. Tried to rev it up and the pressure continued to drop. Finally saw 0 pressure as I was getting off the interstate. Called my boss and told him it was dead so I got it towed to the shop.

It happens to all of us at some point.

#3 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

Sorry to hear man. Have you done a compression check and coolant pressure check?
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#4 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

Plenty of information here to help you through the rebuild...

Good luck and have fun.. :)

http://www.starquest...showtopic=83410

Edited by Preludedude, 14 June 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

Will dig in tonight or sunday.. ugghh man things were going so smooth too!! Litterly ALL the electronics i got working including oem radio.. ac blowing cold.. then bang! Cant catch a break

#6 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Well did the compression test
Cyl:
1.. 135 psi
2.. 5 psi
3.. 5 psi
4.. 136 psi

Im attempting to do a leakdown but not sure wt.... is happening.. with piston on tdc. Comp stroke i have air coming out of the other 3 plug holes... wt..... I then rotated the cyl back atound to tdc exhaust stroke and same thing... im lost.. i used my bore scope and cant see much of anything due to angle

Edit..

Ive figured it out.. i did a leakdown on the 2 good cylinders.. they held air like champs... ive come to the conclusion that the gasket blew between the 2 cylinders.. my only worry.. i drove the thing almost 3 miles with only 2 cylinders.. i REALLY hope the block didnt get burned out where the gasket failed by combustion gasses from me driving it. 3 miles at 35mph at 2500 rpm... could care less about the head. Got that non jet head on its way.. if that block needs milled wife is guna murder me! Thats an entire new forged rotating assembly. If block is fine im just going to throw the new head on with arp studs and call it done. I might do chains and toss balance shafts.. dono yet.. will the head come off without removing front cover and or chain?

Edited by Rapom, 15 June 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#7 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,167 posts
  • Interests:One stock and one not!
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland
    83 Starion- Chevy powered

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Head comes off without removing cover,  review the service manual,  also look close for cracks on top of block  mainly around head bolt holes and water holes on exhaust side.  Next time AAA  could  save more damage to your engine.

Dad

#8 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

I know.. i was standing with the hood open and phone in hand getting ready to call a truck.. my thoughts were.. this car sits so damn low (previous owner) the front lip is 2.5" off the ground. The engine cross member is less than that (pull out a tape measure and visualize 2 inches... i couldnt stomach watching the truck driver destroy my quest.. figured i would rather destroy it myself.. catch 22

#9 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

Most of us have been there. I feel for you! Hopefully it isnt too bad. I'm betting you'll be pulling the engine and have to deck the block though
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#10 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

You haaad to say it... probably right. Trying to find time to pull it.

#11 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Old race cars and classic rock

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

Was driving to work back in September, once it warmed up I just heard "tick tick tick..." You guessed it! Rod knock in cyl. 2 and 3. You'll get through it
87' Sarajevo White ESi-R- Daily driver for the summer
87' Serbia Black ESi-R- SOLD

#12 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Long over due reply.. been busy at work and home. Ive been working on the quest off and on. I had free time finally yesterday and today. Holy pain in my arse! Mostly because the previous owners lowered this car to the ground.. engine subframe is 1.5" off the pavement.. no joke. Idiots. So getting this car raised up is a chore.. non of my speed low pro jacks even come close to fitting.. uggh anyway.. thoes intake nuts. 2 of them on the bottom... u guys know the ones.. SUCK. i had to get my wife to get them.. cant fit my big meats in there (no pun intended). Got the head off finally. Im GLAD i ordered a new non jet head. The headgasket between 2 and 3 was EXPLODED. Never seen anything like it.. the head is cracked in 3 spots that i could see.. the block is in excellent shape. Borrowed my shops straight edge.. looks good. I cleaned it up. Threw in some ARP head studs. New failpro gaskets all around. (#4 exhaust port on the gasket was shreaded!) Couldn't hear it due to this car having a completely open 2.5 from turbo to bumper. No cat.. no resonator nothing.. uggh.
With that said.. number 4 piston wasnt the happiest looking feller. But shel ride just fine. Eventually its getting built anyway.. im just trying to hit up some car shows this summer.. plus just got the car! Want to drive it bad!. New head is that $369 cific one from Amazon. We shall see how that holds up! Its definitely a cheap head. Everything important looks great.. everything not important is trash.. over all good deal for temporary. I had to raise the damn thing and remove the starter to get thoes 2 lower intake bolts tight tho.. sucked. (The raising the car part)

Adjusted valves to spec (its mechanical)

All together. Fired it up. Held it at 2k for around 10 mins. Shut it off to inspect for... well you know. And not to my surprise.. gigantic oil puddle under the car.. looks like its either the cam seal on the back of the head or the valve cover gasket. I reused the old gasket and did not install any sealer to the cam bump in the back of the head because i planed to remove the cover and redo lash and re-tq head.. THEN put on the new gasket with sealer. Ive already pulled it back apart. Re-adjusted everything and reinstalled new gasket with sealer. Looking at the cam bump on the back of the head... Chinese cant measure. Its around .016" smaller than the oem head.. im hoping this with no sealer was just blowing past the used vc gasket and that my cam seal isnt puking... thst does not look fun to replace in the car.letting sealer dry before i re-fire End rant

#13 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,167 posts
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

ARP head studs holding rear of valve cover up, need to cut some of the baffle to clear,  put grease on top of stud, drop cover on and grease transfers to were it hits.

Dad

#14 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,167 posts
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

RTV needs to be used also on rear cap to valve cover

#15 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

YES!!! I did not want to catch hell for admitting that i had to "modify" the valve cover to clear the studs!! I thought maybe i did something wrong or that cheap head i bought was thinner.. whhhuuuuu. Not alone. And yes i know your supposed to use silicone.. i choose not too because after 30mins of 2k i was going to remove the cover and didnt want to clean off silicone. Well update.. i put the new gasket on with silicone and i DO NOT have 2 qts of oil on the ground now. WOW these things dont like dry cam arches apparently!! Oh and a bonus!!! I readjusted the valves while the vc was off.... then 3hrs later (let silicone set up a bit) went and fired it up.. BANG!!! wt....! WAS THAT!!? Classic! Accidently left ratchet on crank bolt... yeep.. it backed the bolt alllll the way out and bent the frame on the cooling fan.. ugggh gota look up crank bolt tq spc now

#16 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Good deal!
I left a 22mm wrench on my crank after messing with the cam degree a couple weeks ago. It happens. And ALWAYS scares the snot out of ya!
80~90 on the torque spec iirc

Edited by psu_Crash, 25 June 2019 - 08:13 AM.

'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#17 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

Glad you didnt get hurt.Thats dangerous stuff.

#18 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:57 PM

Good job on getting it running. As a technician I have learned that before backing a car out of the bay when it is finished, I put away all my tools and make sure they are all there.

You may want to recheck torque on your ARP bolts after a few hundred miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users