AFR tuning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,554 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

I always thought the best power was when your AFR is right on the edge of detonation.  Turns out that's not really true.  Acording to the dyno results in this video richening the mixture for a better safety margin doesn't come with a big power loss penalty.  These tuners are using lambda measurements so you'll have to convert the numbers.

http://www.youtube.c...Lrn-2jyw&t=248s
My 87
Posted Image

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,005 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

I think you mean best power when timing was on the edge of detonation, which isn't correct either but timing is far more correlated with detonation than air fuel ratio.  To wring the most out of a motor you tune AFR first with a conservative timing table because engines run pretty well with a wider range of AFR, then go back and work on optimum timing for power.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Starions

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

scott is correct. AFR has been proven to not make more or less power. Running richer helps to keep the car cooler which helps stop detonation, and leaning out detonates. But it's really the timing which gives you more power. But only to an extent. Being right on the edge of detonation isn't always what you are chasing.

Usually you want to adjust the timing to ignite so that you get most of your power on the downward stroke. It's when it ignites and it's still on an upwards stroke that you get knock. Too soon knocks, too late lacks power. It's a balance to move the needle as much as you can before power results start slipping back. But on turbo applications you will usually hit knocking point before reaching the point where your power starts going backwards.

Tuning the AFR is mainly for fuel economy. Having it as lean as possible is to save fuel. Not give you more power :)
www.sweetfrostings.com.au

#4 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

Another thing to consider with AFR tuning is emissions if you live in a state that requires testing. Running rich increases hydrocarbons while running lean will increase your NOx readings. It basically requires a balance. When you're leaner the cylinder temps are higher which produces more NOx thus the reason cars had EGR valves. Cars no longer use EGR valves for the most part due to variable valve timing.

#5 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!
  • Model:Other

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Extra fuel is also used to reduce heat sometimes. My tune would go rich if the temp got above a certain number, something like 200 or 210 degrees I think.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users