Auto transmission control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TajMan

TajMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Cars, mitsubishi sent me down that path first, the underdog. Motorcycles. Computers.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

Hello, anybody running an auto transmission that is controlled by an aftermarket controller, like a standalone system that runs the engine and can control an auto trans, or a standalone transmission controller separate from engine ECU?

This is what I'm trying to figure or else just manual swap. I've owned a manual Conquest and liked that.

I've got an '89 Conquest which is auto, and I've got a modified intake manifold to install for MPI conversion.

My car is still not running right on the stock TBI (been fixing was off the road 20yrs), and I'm trying to decide which way to go.

I'm sorry I'm unfamiliar with this car's stock automatic transmission control, it's a Nissan transmission what's the trans code again?
If I was ready for MPI now I would get an aftermarket crank pulley with crank position sensor, and I think run a Megasquirt 3 standalone system.

So, can you leave the stock TBI ECU installed in parallel with megasquirt and the stock transmission controller working along with it, just need to feed in the proper sensors to the factory sensor inputs like TPS?

Would I have any luck finding possibly vintage parts like a shift kit for this old auto trans?
What's your personal opinion, keep or ditch an automatic period or more importantly this factory auto trans? [in my planned setup, which may be a little much and I fully promote it]
I've got crazy compound turbo plans in the works, GT25/HX35! (because I can haven't done it yet and want to and that's what I've dedicated my life to lol)

Edited by TajMan, 14 April 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

There is no transmission controller for the Starquest auto, its all in the valve body.  I or BaltTSi can mod the body for firmer shifts, there are Kevlar bands available.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 TajMan

TajMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Cars, mitsubishi sent me down that path first, the underdog. Motorcycles. Computers.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Really!...
Seems like I saw info somewhere, the later even '89 transmissions aren't different at all than previous?

#4 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Nope all auto's are the same Jatco. They even used them in the Nissan 300ZX Z31.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users