speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

I drew out a quick sketch of how my lines are ran incase anyone is curious how I did it with no brake lines in the engine bay.

Posted Image

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#42 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

I used 3 bulkhead fittings to run the lines through the firewall up front. The two front caliper lines stay in the wheel well until they go through the firewall. Then I bent  all the lines necessary to connect everything and affixed them to the firewall in the cabin using 3/16  brake line clamps. If you take your time and use a quality bender you can get the lines right up against the firewall and they will look nice.

@TheDemon: If you would like to use the stock proportioning valve that will work but I was concerned that without adjustability (using a proportioning valve) that I wouldn't get correct or even braking out of it due to switching it to manual brakes. As for modifying the pedals I actually haven't done anything to them yet. I intended to change the pedals ratio but after driving the car more and in more situations including hard braking I don't believe it's necessary.

@Bradrock: You are right about the fact that this setup has no "backup" scenario in case a brake line breaks and I thought about that. One of the things I made sure to do was replace every inch of brake line on the car with new high quality brake line. That is enough for me peace of mind wise to feel pretty safe with this. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've gone through your whole brake setup. Out of curiousity what caused your brake line to blow?

Edited by speedyquest, 07 November 2016 - 11:28 AM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#43 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

"Out of curiousity what caused your brake line to blow? "   Driving rusty junk on Northern Michigans salty roads :D
Run's with scizzor's

#44 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostBradrock, on 07 November 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

"Out of curiousity what caused your brake line to blow? "   Driving rusty junk on Northern Michigans salty roads :D

Well there ya go! LOL

Posted Image

#45 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Wrenching, Gaming, cars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

so i have even more reason to get an aftermarket prop valve... i have wilwood 4-pot calipers up front, and after doing some research its looking like i have to downgrade them some because they are the old old old group buy ones that oscar did back in the day that have to much size for our cars, im still looking at it and trying to understand all of the sizing differences on them so i can order the right ones
- The Demon
89 Black Conquest TSI SHP 5-speed - Restoration
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#46 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Do you think you could take very detailed measurements of both the bracket and rotor from that kit? I'd love to use that information to make my own setup for the car.

Edited by speedyquest, 07 November 2016 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#47 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

i got you bro, ill text it to you, and maybe you can help me find the right sized calipers on wilwoods site to fix my overpowered calipers causing a loss of braking power to the car....

here is what i have found so far regarding the issue:
http://www.starquest...howtopic=119370

mine look like the first installed pic, old style calipers:
http://www.starquest...opic=72897&st=0

Edited by TheDemon, 07 November 2016 - 03:14 PM.

- The Demon
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#48 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:23 AM

This help by any chance?

http://www.austarion...econversion.pdf

#49 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:56 AM

Phantom, nice find but that is based on over seas models... And requires parts we dont have available state side... Im not even sure that bracket would work with our cars but if it does its more vertical than my current brackets, i shall print it out tomorrow and check the sizing

Edited by TheDemon, 08 November 2016 - 01:59 AM.

- The Demon
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#50 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

http://store.revolut...m/14-0032a.html

Maybe brackets from this kit could be purchased separately? I'm out of ideas if these aren't correct either. Good luck!

#51 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

good find with that kit phantom, i think it looks like the brackets from that one make it so that there are no spacers needed and the calipers stay on the back side of the rotor
- The Demon
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#52 Shaggy_TSi

Shaggy_TSi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

Those are the same kits that are on ebay. And if im not mistaken, those are the same that Oscar sold some time ago.
Posted Image

#53 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

Same com.pany oscar used but different brackets... I have a first run oscar kit on my car
- The Demon
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users